1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas marathoners check in

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by chef, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

For those running either the half or full marathon in December, how is your training going?

2. slimmy28

slimmy28 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Running the 1/2 and very happy with my training. Can't wait. I'm extremely excited for the afternoon start and finishing under the lights. Such a difference from a normal race.

3. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am ready for the half, just need work and schedule to come together before the sign ups close!

4. chef

I recently ran a full marathon (3:34) and will likely pass my Vegas registration onto my son, who has yet to do a regulation marathon.
    Will still continue training, but not as intensively now.

None-the-less, looking forward to watching the rest of you run, be it the half or full.

5. Its Only Money

Its Only Money VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats, that is a time I would like to post. My training has me dropping down to the half though. Hoping to go sub 1:45 on the half and am anxious to see the improvements from last year. I didn't really experience any of the negative stuff that a lot of people did, but I hope they got it all straightened out.

6. bring_the_rukus

bring_the_rukus Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    im a little behind but ill be fine. this is my second LV 1/2 but my 5th 1/2 total so im just trying to do better each time. ive been doing a lot of cross training, just not solid running. ill probably up the running this weekend.

i also need to buy some new shoes and my Vegas outfit soon so i can make sure its snug and comfortable. i wore pants, mittens, and a long sleeve half zip jacket over a sports bra last year and was still a little on the chilly side. hopefully the wind and rain doesnt pick up like it did at the end next year.

7. prozac

prozac Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

.. that is a killer time, i have an ex g/f who ran a 3:33 in the marathon split of an ironman and her time hovered around some of the pros run time ..

. .yes, this was an ironman, but that in no way diminishes your time!

.. great man!

-$$$

8. Iamrice

Iamrice High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been training hard.

Training to watch my two friends go across the finish line... I can't wait to eat and gamble while they run!

9. bdg626

bdg626 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    RnR Vegas was my first half last year and will be my second this year!

Training is not going as well this year as last, but I am still hoping to improve my time to about 1:45. Not sure I can hold that pace for the full 13.1 but I'm hoping! So far my longest runs don't compare to last year, but I am keeping the pace for 6-8 miles. We'll see!

Only a few days of training left before the event, and I'm getting really amped about it! Also, it's my return to Vegas after FOUR LONG MONTHS. Haha.

:beer:

10. chef

Remember, your adrenaline will push you exceedingly further than anything that you've done on a training run. Once you head to starting line, amidst the night lights and crowds, you'll be incredibly jacked up.

11. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    so chef, your Paul Ryan marathon time is about 2:30 huh

LOL

12. chef

Yeah, that'd be about right. Pretty funny jman

Acutally, I'm only 4 minutes off qualifying for Boston in my age group (50-54). Next year, I'll be 55 and only have to do 3:40, instead of 3:30 to meet their standards.
    Everyone who has done it says it's a once-in-lifetime running experience.

13. bring_the_rukus

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i am so ready to get this done! hopefully they really step their game up from last year. im so excited!

14. bdg626

bdg626 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am ready! Just ran 9 miles yesterday in under 72 minutes, keeping me at the 1:45 pace! I am so excited, Vegas in exactly a week!

:beer:

15. chef

After last year's fiasco, I predict the marathon staff members will pull out all the stops to make up for 2011. It should be quite the (well-organized) event.

16. slimmy28

slimmy28 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to dwell on the negative, but what were the specific elements that made up the "fiasco" of 2011. I know it wasn't great, but haven't heard many of the specifics. Looking forward to next Sunday. Simply can't wait.

17. geoff

geoff Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be running the half .. 4th year in a row for this race.

18. chef

Check out this site for runner comments on last year's race: http://www.marathonguide.com
    After accessing site, go to the race calender and punch in Las Vegas Marathon Dec 2, 2012 and you'll get the scoop on what really went wrong with this event. Indeed, people were very specific in their observations.

A few of the problems were: excessive crowding at the corrals (before the race), running out of water during the race, poor planning on the race route, full marathoners being bogged down after merging with much slower half-marathoners and lack of space to run, a lack of space at the finish area, limited access in exiting the post-race area (even Mandalay Bay was filled to capacity with people passed out and throwing up), ill-fated shuttles, etc. etc.

19. bring_the_rukus

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i had a lot of issues last year but the only one i choose to still complain about was the chaos in Mandalay Bay afterwards. i took well over an hour to WALK through that hallway that was what, a couple hundred feet? shoulder to shoulder people pushing, yelling, screaming, and puking. all this after running a marathon. im no one to panic but it was scary. i kept thinking we were moments away from a stampede. i will be avoiding that hallway at all costs this year

20. chef

That scene won't happen. This year's race ends at the Mirage with runners exiting at the intersections of Flamingo and LV Blvd. There will be plenty of exits going several different directions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.