1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

NYNY June 2012

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by alexanbo, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexanbo

alexanbo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

NYNY-June 2012

This trip report probably isn't about the NYNY you expect. There is some Vegas content sprinkled throughout and even some incriminating photos of a fellow Vegas degen.

A write up is obviously ridiculously overdue but I've been procrastinatingHowever planning my second trip to New York spurred me to get this done before the details are lost to the sands of time.

This was my first time to New York. It started with a training course out in the boonies and ended with some fun time in Manhattan. I left Saturday June 23rd and returned early in the morning of July 2.

Some Vegas content to keep me a little in Sonya's good graces:

[​IMG]

What a Long Strange Trip it's Been

I took the red eye on Cathay from Vancouver to JFK. It was about an hour late so we didn't leave until 11 PM. The seats were ok and but the Entertainment Centre was cool with movies that were currently in theatres till and a USB connection for iOS devices.

Made the mistake of eating dinner on the plane, it was pretty terrible and eating that late kept me up the whole night. Well the other thing that kept me up was the girl next to me was trying to sleep after being on the plane since HK. She ended up almost sitting sideways with her legs more or less draped over me, basically got to second base with her.

Oddly about an hour before landing an older gentleman, wearing the First Class pajamas came wondering back into the economy cabin. Looking around he came up to our row and retrieved the girl sitting next to and all her stuff. She departed forward never to be seen again by us.

By us I mean myself and the girl in the window seat. She had flown from Singapore so was a little loopy. Plus she realized that the alcohol was free on the flight about 1 am so was cranking back Jack and Cokes. She was pretty funny and excited to be home by the time we landed.

Customs and luggage retrieval were non-rememberal which is a good think. I had arrange a car through Dial7 and called them and was told were to meet the car.

It took about an hour to get out to the hotel I was staying at for training. It was way North, but I did get my first glimpses of Manhattan as we cut across the North End and then up the Palisades Highway. Driver got a bit lost trying to find the hotel but we sorted it out.

I was exhausted at this point and was fortunate to somehow grab the last room in the entire hotel when I checked in at 9 AM. Actually hit up the free breakfast and surveyed the hung over bridal parties that were sharing the hotel at that point. Passed out, but woke up in time to watch England fail out of Euro.

Got up for dinner, the hotel restaurant was closed on Sunday so I was forced out into the wild. Had to walk down the side of a highway under an overpass just to find food and was dismayed to find the Red Lobster that google had promised me was closed. I was therefore unable to ascertain if what they say about the hostesses there are true. As it was I was stuck dining at Chili's, which was a step up from the airplane food, but nothing compared to what was coming later in the week. After dinner time to zonk out again

Training

Training was good. It turned out there were some other people from Vancouver. The company doing the training took us out to a local Italian place and Dave and Buster's. We got some 4 way Air hockey action in at D & B's. Realized we weren't in Canada anymore when on consecutive nights at the hotel bar, two different people offered to sell us guns.

The training ended Wednesday and I made a tactical mistake of staying at the training hotel an extra night. The other Vancouverites weren't as stupid and I was stuck at the Hotel Bar for the night.

Moving on Up

I had booked another car through Dial7 and he was early. Awesome! more time in Manhattan. An hour drive into Manhattan and after a drive along the west side of the island I was at my home for the weekend.

In Vegas I've been staying at the Mandarin Oriental lately. They sent me an offer for a free night in any one of their hotels so I took them up on it for this trip. It's located right at the SW corner of Central Park on Columbus Circle in the Time Warner building.

One of the bellman grabbed my bags when the car pulled up and I was through the ground floor lobby to the elevators to the main lobby. The main lobby is up on the 35th floor and there's a Dale Chihuly sculpture in the middle. A little less crowded then Bellagio's lobby for sure.

Another early check in was granted plus an upgrade so I ended up on the 51st floor.

This meant my view went from this at the training hotel:

[​IMG]

To this:

[​IMG]

Score!

The room was super nice as well and the view was available from both the bedroom and the bathroom. I never did try out the tub but it was cool to get ready in the morning looking out at the view. The shower had a Rainfall head in it and I thought I'd enjoy it more than I did. Wasn't used to the water coming down directly from above and got some water in my ear. Lots of little details in the room, such as a leather case for the TV remote.

There was a welcome fruit basket and chocolate setup as well. Also upon check in they had written confirmation of my dinner reservations and upon hearing it was my first time in NY they put together a package with maps and guides.

View from entry:

[​IMG]

Bed:

[​IMG]

TV and Desk:

[​IMG]

Bathroom:

[​IMG]

Shower + Water Closet:

[​IMG]

Bathroom View:

[​IMG]

View from Water Closet (Heh):

[​IMG]

After unpacking I set myself loose on the city.

Exterior views of the hotel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plaza Food Hall[\B]

I walked along the park to the Plaza and headed down to the basement to the Food Hall. They have a bunch of different shops down there, mostly offshoots of local restaurants. There is a big section that Todd English put his name on but I didn't venture there.

I ended up picking up a Lobster Roll from Luke's Lobster. It was awesome, the bun just the right amount of toasted and the lobster succulent and sweet. The craft root beer put it over the top.

[​IMG]

Wandering[\B]

I then wandered around and found the Apple Store. Went down there and it was huge. Figured I had to buy something so ended up picking up an Apple TV. From there I looped down to Times Square and got some obligatory photos there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was super hot and I didn't get as much walking in as I would of liked. I did walk by the entry to 15 CPW, one of the most expensive condo's in the world. It is cool as I've worked on a house that Stern designed out here.

[​IMG]

Hit the Shops at Columbus Circle to get out of the heat.

Euro 2012 Semifinal
    Ended up hitting the bar at Porter House in the Mall to watch the semifinal game. There were a couple others there watching and as Italy pulled ahead it was fun. Most of the kitchen staff came out and watched too. Everyone was cheering and having fun, except for the German couple that came over from the main dining room to watch.

After the game was time to get ready for dinner.

View from the Shops Atrium:

[​IMG]

Eleven Madison Park

Dinner at EMP was the thing I was looking forward to most. In a relatively short time it had become one of the best restaurants in the world under the direction of chef Daniel Humm and GM Will Guidara. In the latest rankings it had finished 10th in the world. One of the perks of staying at MO was a concierge who could get a reservation here and I took advantage of that.

I was a touch late leaving for dinner and got in a cab. We got stuck in traffic almost immediately and taking the suggestion of the cabbie I got out and hit the subway. Hop Stop was my friend here as it produced a route to the restaurant from where I got the cab.

I got out on the far side of Madison Square Park from the restaurant. There was a big Credit Suisse party going on in the park at that point so I cut through there and hit up the restaurant.

Eleven Madison Park Front Door:

[​IMG]

The normal menu at EMP is a 4 X 4 grid of ingredients where you pick one from each row and they create something for you.

[​IMG]

I went with the Tasting Menu for which you just left them bring stuff. (They have since I went gotten rid of the grid menu). Unfortunately since I was dining solo I couldn't get one of their specialties, the Muscovy Duck. In any case the meal began.

I opted to go with the wine pairing as well.

The first thing to arrive at the table came in a box tied with a bow:

[​IMG]

Black and White Cookies
    Inside the box was EMP's take on the traditional Black and White Cookie. Instead of being sweet, this cookie was savory. Crème fraiche, black and white truffles and foie-gras filling. Super Duper Good.

[​IMG]

Tomato
    Tea with Parmesan Lavash and Lemon Thyme
    Bereche & Fils, Brut Reserve, Champagne, France

A tea made from tomato, warm, sharp and tangy. The parmesan flat bread was almost like parmesan air.

The champagne that started the wine pairing was dry, and very good.

[​IMG]

Mackerel and Scallop
    Horseradish Chip and Mustard;Chip with Pickled Daikon and Sesame

Two more amuses, kind of their take on sushi

[​IMG]

Yogurt and Chickpea
    Lollipops with Curry, Panisse with Yogurt

The lollipop was a greek yogurt, which provided coolness mixed with the curry dusted on it for a bit of heat. The fried lentils provided a bit of crunch.

The Panisse was a pit of fried chickpea.

[​IMG]

Trout
    Marinated with Dashi, Cantaloupe, Zucchini and Watermelon Snow

Dashi-cured Trout Roe was an interesting mix with the Watermelon Snow

[​IMG]

Clam
    Clambake with Chorizo, Corn, and Zucchini
    Southampton, Saison Deluxe, South Hampton, Long Island

One of my favourite courses. A couple dishes were brought out with an admonition not to look inside the teapot.The first part of the dish was some delicate bites. Once that was finished, the teapot was poured out to reveal the best corn chowder I've ever had. My favourite dish ever was a Foie Gras Soup with Scallop at Twist in Vegas, this was the second best soup I've ever had. Inside the corn husk was a Zucchini madeline that was yummy as well.

The wine pairing for this dish was actually a beer. Crafted locally on Long Island a perfect compliment

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bread
    The bread course was next, served with two different types of butter

Cous Cous
    Smoked with Tomato, Yogurt, and Olives
    Domaine Terrabrune, Bandol, Provence, France 2011

A much better preparation of Cous Cous then I do at home

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Foie Gras
    Cured with Black Sesame, Gem Lettuce, and Duck Proscuitto
    Domaine Jamet, Cotes Du Rhone Blanc, France 2010

EMP is well known for their preparations of Foie and this doesn't disappoint. Richness offset by the tang of the Prosciutto. Another hi-lite of the night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whey
    Fresh Curds, Caraway Gnocchi, and Spring Herbs
    Lieu Dit, Sauvignon Blanc, Santa Barbara, California

Curds, and Whey, though there was no Miss Moffet in site. An unusual dish and surprisingly good

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lobster
    Poached with Meyer Lemon, Burnt Leek, and Shellfish Bisque
    Navazos-Niepoort, Vino Blanco, Andalucia, Spain 2010

A perfectly cooked piece of lobster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lamb
    Roasted with Artichokes, Freekh, and Spring Onions
    Cassanuova delle Cerbaie, Brunello di Montalcino, Tuscany, Italy 2004

The last savoury course. Succulent lamb, soft and tender topped with Spring Onion Hay, yes Hay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chevre
    Meridan with Strawberries, Pistachio and Garlic
    Domaine aux Moines, Roche aux Moines, Savennieres Loire Valley, France 2010

For the cheese course they actually brought out the raw wheels of cheese and did a bit of a show and tell with them. Then as soon as she was done the plated course magically appeared.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Egg Cream
    Orange, Cocoa Nib, and Seltzer

Another EMP take on a New York classic. In a show of the level of service, I had mentioned that I couldn't drink milk, like that which would usually be used to make this dish. They seamlessly subbed in soy milk instead and it was delicious.

[​IMG]

Cheesecake
    Goat Cheese, Chamomile, and Raspberry

A different take on the classic cheesecake. The light goat cheese on top of the Raspberry gelee. Delicious and lighter then a normal cheesecake. Maybe my favourite dessert ever.

[​IMG]

Chocolate
    Sorbet with Lavender, Orange, and Maldon Sea Salt
    Domaine La Tour Vieille, Rimage, Banyuls, France 2009

Memory is getting a little hazy at this point, but I'm pretty sure this was good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coffee
    Coffee was served using a Siphon Coffee maker. Water is heated in the lower chamber and it steams up through the grounds in the upper chamber and condenses. The coffee is then stirred in the upper chamber, then the heat is removed and the coffee strains through to the bottom chamber again. The coffee it makes is super clean I guess you'd say. It's a delicate process and the door opening during the stirring phase caused the water to all fall down to the lower chamber while they were making it for me. They actually had to start all over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Swiss couple sitting next to me were intrigued by the whole preparation and we had a bit of a chat. I did offer them some but they declined.

Black and White Cookies II
    To round out the meal was the sweet version of these cookies.

[​IMG]

Petit Fours
    Oh ok there was one more course after the cookies, Salted Caramel Chocolate Popcorn Wafers.

These were so good, notice they started giving me two of each of these.

The End?
    Ok still not done actually, the waiter brought out a bottle of cognac and said help yourself. Actually he mentioned that if I stayed for a bit they'd have a surprise for me. (Well ok I knew it was a kitchen tour). It did take a bit of a while for the scheduling to work out for the tour. In the meantime the waiter kept making me drink more and more cognac.

[​IMG]

That was full when presented to me and that was about half way through the wait. While I was waiting I had mentioned that the cheesecake was my favourite dessert I've had at one of these fancy restaurants so they brought another one out for me. Pretty full at this point.

Kitchen Tour
    Finally it was time for the tour. They have a special stand up bar in an alcove and as they describe all the different stations in the kitchen one of the chefs uses liquid nitrogen to prepare a cocktail for you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cocktail turns out ot have a frozen ball of alcohol in it that you break open as your drinking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The End, for Real
    Now I was really done with the meal. You can see from the pictures I started off with sunlight and ended up deep into the night. The service really was amazing everything was looked after. I even asked for recommendations on somewhere to go for a nightcap. They tried to get me a spot on the Rooftop at Nomad but that didn't quite work out and I ended up heading to the Library at Nomad. They also give you a mason jar of granola to take home and I still had a Black and white cookie and Petit four left.

Such a good meal, my words really can't do it justice. They have gone through a major change since I've been there so I was happy I got in before that happened. I would say this was one of the top 5 meals of my life.

Signed Menu:

[​IMG]

Take home Treats:

[​IMG]

The Library
    After dinner I stumbled around and found my way somehow to the Library at the Nomad Hotel. Interesting place and they made me a couple cocktails from scratch based on some vague descriptions of what I wanted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me:

[​IMG]

After a couple drinks here I somehow made it home. Apparently I took a picture of the Empire State Building:

[​IMG]

I think after some help from one of New York's finest I found a Subway train back to Columbus Circle. As hot as it was above ground, it felt like 40 degrees in the stations. Back at the hotel the Lounge and Bar had closed so ended up calling it a night.

Morning Swim

The pool at the hotel is on the 36th floor and I got a morning swim in. Pretty crazy view for a pool. The change rooms were awesome with water and fruit, plus a dryer that dried off your bathing suit in 10 seconds. Did get a few looks in the elevator as I was in my robe and others were suits and ties, Vacation!

[​IMG]

Marea
    Lunch on Friday was at Marea. Michael White is well renowned for his pasta so I swung by to check it out. They have a lunch deal that's a pretty good value.

[​IMG]

Polipo
    grilled octopus, smoked potatoes, pickled red onion, radish, chilies, tonnato

The octopus was so tender, almost didn't need a knife to cut it, not what I expected at all out of Octopus.

[​IMG]

Spaghetti
    fresh cut semolina pasta, crab, santa barbara sea urchin, basil

A signature dish of the restaurant. The best spaghetti you'll ever have mixed with the aquatic richness of the uni.

[​IMG]

Petit Fours
    Some sweet snacks to end with

[​IMG]

The Book of Mormon
    After lunch I was off to see Book of Mormon. Again it was super hot and a long line to get into the theatre. This seemed kind of odd as we all had assigned seating. I just waited for it to snake through. I had a ticket in the first row of the balcony. Great site lines and it looked like even though the leg room was meager it was the best in the theatre.

The show itself wasn't quite what I expected. I actually expected it to be more biting satire but really in the end I thought it was a lot more warm to the subject matter then I thought it would be.

Really a good show and I'm glad I got to see it on Broadway.

The Afternoon
    Some more wandering around after the show before heading up to my room. Looked out the window and there was a plane flying below towing a Geico sign

Lobby Lounge
    Grabbed a before dinner drink in the Lobby Lounge

Not One57, the building with the crane that collapsed in the background

[​IMG]

Porter House New York
    After having fun at the bar the day before I ended up back here for dinner.

A simple steak and some onion rings were on the menu tonight. The Steak was good, the onion rings were terrible.

[​IMG]

Pub Crawl
    After dinner I went on a bit of a pub crawl. Starting off at little Irish Bar with no AC. Kind of fun in there, though I was the only person in there who actually wasn't originally from Ireland. I think one of the bartenders was an Irish boxer of some not or something.

After a couple drinks there it was off down 8th and 9th, stopping wherever had AC. Eventually at one of the bars I got a call from our special guest star of the nigh, BeeJay. He was coming from the Yankees game and met up with me at the bar I was at. We did some catching up and then continued on through a couple more bars.

Beejay and I

[​IMG]

Why Cellphone Cameras are Bad
    At this point BeeJay was hungry so we ended up in some pizza place. After the old italian lady running the place had foisted way more pizza then we wanted on us we sat down. Well not long after a couple of Nurses ended up sitting next to us.

And apparently they had just been up to some hi-jinks which we joined in. This happened:

[​IMG]

apparently after all the purses BeeJay has bought over the years he knows which ones will go best with his Tiger Woods shirts.

That party eventually broke up and after another failed attempt to see a Red Lobster Hostess in her natural environment BeeJay departed for the Path Train (and some pole dancing en route) and I was back to the hotel. Again the Lounge was closed so it prevented me from getting in more trouble. And any incriminating photos.

Saturday Morning
    With a late night, the night before I took advantage of the bed and slept in. Rousing myself I made my way down towards MoMA and grabbed a burger at a place near there.

[​IMG]

MoMA
    The rest of the day I planned to spend at MoMA. I went through it from the bottom to the top. This may have been a bit of a mistake, I'll know for next time. MoMA has free wifi throughout and you can use your mobile device to do the audio tour as opposed to having to wait to pick up one of the devices from the musuem. Plus you know where the earbuds have been.

The first gallery had some interesting tapestries

[​IMG]

Some more Vegas content, the Artist used a picture of a section of Vegas and repeated over and over for the background. She used a similar idea for the red bit in the middle as well.

[​IMG]

Kind of Vegas content. This was a Jenny Holzher piece. You can see a bigger work from her at the valet at Aria by Haze.

[​IMG]

One floor is mostly dedicated to design and had a blurb about the evolution of the @ symbol

[​IMG]

This was an interesting work. From afar it looks like a perfect grid. It was hand drawn though so up close you can see the minor variations within each line. Sort of a statement that these days from afar everything looks the same but upon closer examination you can see each tiny piece is unique

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marilyn

[​IMG]

An early Christo work

[​IMG]

Jasper Johns. I hadn't realized this was sort of painted on top of a collage. When you get real close you can read the headlines of the newspapers that were used to make it.

[​IMG]

Jackson Pollack

[​IMG]

Monet

[​IMG]

Starry Night
    I have a print of this up in my living room. My favourite painting. The security guard stationed next to it basically just had to keep repeating no flash over and over.

[​IMG]

More Van Gogh

[​IMG]

Even More Van Gogh

[​IMG]

Sculpture Garden

[​IMG]

The Front Door

[​IMG]

After spending most of the day at MoMA I took a quick spin through Rockefeller Center and the Lego Store there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then back to the hotel.

Watching a Cruise Ship go by while getting ready

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wd~50
    wd~50 is well known for being one of the first avant garde restaurants in the US. The chef Wylie Dufresne worked his way up through Jean Georges Vongerichten's empire, including a stint as Chef de Cuisine at Prime in Bellagio. In the early days of the restaurant he may have been more interested in the science experiments he created then their taste. However time had brought maturity, though the menu had just been entirely redone right before I dined there.

After another subway adventure I made the short walk from the station to a non-descript store front.

[​IMG]

Greeted by the hostess, I was sat at a table at one end of the restaurant that looked back down through the restaurant into the kitchen. In chatting with the hostess it turned out the other hostess was from Vancouver as well so had some fun chatting with her.

It was time for the food to start now, I opted for the full tasting menu with wine pairings.

Sesame Flatbread
    Actually similar to the Parmesan Flatbread served by EMP, though without the tanginess of the Parmesan

[​IMG]

MACKEREL NIGIRI, SALSIFY, SEAWEED, SESAME
    Cava Reserva ‘Avinyó’ J. Esteve Nadal Brut Nature NV / Penedes, Spain

A playful take on Nigiri. Instead of rice they used Salsify to provide a base for the fish

[​IMG]

LOBSTER ROE, CHARRED LEMON, GREEN GRAPE, CORIANDER-BROWN BUTTER
    Cava Reserva ‘Avinyó’ J. Esteve Nadal Brut Nature NV / Penedes, Spain

Lobster served with noodles. The noodles here were made from lobster roe though, very tasty. To note one would expect that with the same wine listed for both dishes it would be the same glass. This expectation was wrong as another glass was brought for the second dish. In fact the pours here were super generous.

[​IMG]

PHO GRAS
    Pinot Gris Classic Hugel et Fils 2008 / Alsace, France

A mash up of the traditional Vietnamese dish with a puck of Foie Gras. Interesting to say the least, the salty broth was kind of an interesting way to contrast the Foie.

[​IMG]

AMARO YOLK, CHICKEN CONFIT, PEAS ‘N' CARROTS
    Bardolino Chiaretto ‘Ròdon’ Le Fraghe 2010 / Veneto, Italy

Kind of their version of a TV dinner. An egg yolk that had been bathed in amaro and then cured in salt and sugar to make it a bit thicker. Add a chicken confit and wrap it all up in carrot ribbons with some peas on the side. Wait though, those aren't peas but carrots dusted in powder to make them look and taste a little like peas.

[​IMG]

VEAL BRISKET, ZA'ATAR, PLUM, MUSTARD
    Rhone Blend ‘Per Èl’ Domaine Saladin 2011 / Rhone Valley, France

Takes the deep smoked flavour of Brisket and melds it with the tenderness of Veal. So good I could of eaten a tonne of this stuff.

[​IMG]

CRAB TOAST, SAFFRON, KAFFIR-YOGURT, ARARE
    Sancerre Rosé Karine Lauverjat 2011 / Loire Valley, France

Hard to go wrong with Crab toast. The Arare added an interesting bit of texture

[​IMG]

SOLE, BLACK LICORICE-PIL PIL, FRIED GREEN TOMATO, FENNEL
    Morgon ‘Javernières’ Louis Claude Desvignes 2010 / Burgundy, France

I didn't really like this dish. The licorice kind of overpowered the fish I found.

[​IMG]

LAMB SWEET BREADS, NASTURTIUM-BUTTERMILK, ZUCCHINI, PISTACHIO
    Morgon ‘Javernières’ Louis Claude Desvignes 2010 / Burgundy, France

I'm a fan of Sweet Breads and this didn't let me down.

[​IMG]

ROOT BEER RIBS, RYE SPAETZLE, APRICOT
    Xinomavro Domaine Karydas 2008 / Naoussa, Greece

Another dish that wasn't a hit with me. The Ribs had been marinated in root beer and then formed together. Kind of was like a high brow version of spam.

[​IMG]

JASMINE, CUCUMBER, HONEYDEW, CHARTREUSE
    A nice palate cleanser. I actually thought it was solid down to the bottom but the green thing was a thin cucumber wafer with other treats below it

[​IMG]

YUZU MILK ICE, HAZELNUT, RHUBARB, BASIL
    Late Harvest Torrontés ‘Tardío’ Santa Julia 2009/ Mendoza, Argentina

Kind fo similar to a dish I had at e. Light fluffy Yuzu Milk Aire with fresh strawberries. Hard to describe how light and airy the Yuzu Milk thing was.

[​IMG]

S’MORES, BITTER COCOA, MERINGUE, BLACK CURRANT
    Rosé d’un jour La Ferme de la Sansonniere 2010 / Loire Valley, France

A delicious veresion of S'Mores. The Marshmallow was an iced cold flambéed Meringue with almost an ice cream consistency. The Graham Cracker was made in house and even the stick was edible, I vaguely remember it being described as deep fried beer, but I was well into my cups by then.

[​IMG]

Inside the Marshmallow

[​IMG]

WHITE CHOCOLATE, GJETOST
    A white chocolate bonbon with the addition of Norwegian goat cheese and a coating of raspberry powder.

[​IMG]

Kitchen Tour
    After dinner was done I got a tour of the kitchen where they carry out all their wizardry.

Shelf with all the fancy mixtures

[​IMG]

Kitchen in action

[​IMG]

A very interesting meal to say the least. A feast for both the senses and the taste buds. Not the best meal I've ever had but it was definitely worth the experience. The least formal Michelin star restaurant in the world I'd bet.

I did get a signed menu but it got lost somewhere in the following adventures

LES Adventures
    So after dinner the waiter pointed me to the bar across the street. Had a great time here hanging out with the bar tender and one or two other regulars. After there I headed down a bit to a more packed. There I ran into the wait staff from the restaurant including the hostess from Vancouver. Spent some time drinking with them and swapping stories.

After that rode the subway back uptown to the Hotel. Again it was sweltering on the platform. Finally made it back to the Lobby Lounge before it closed and knocked back a couple beers.

As it neared closing time the Lounge emptied out and there was just another couple there besides me. They weren't going to finish their bottle of champagne so they invited me over and we killed the rest of the night.

Lobby Lounge view

[​IMG]

Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow
    Another late morning on my last day. I got a late checkout, 6 PM as I was on the red eye home.

After getting up I headed out to watch the Euro Final. Went back to one of the bars we had hit on Friday and was lucky to grab one of the last seats in the bar. The bar was really crowded and it was a good mix of Italian and Spanish fans. A lot of different languages spoken too. A neat way to end the trip.

After the game finished I packed up and took a taxi out to the airport. I left ridiculously early and ended up having a lot of time to kill.

Finally gave in to the pull of Todd English and ate at his place in the terminal. Not terrible is about the best I can say.

[​IMG]

While waiting for my flight there was a medical emergency and the call went out for a doctor. With all the heat, a little kid had become super dehydrated and had some sort of seizure. Was a bit scary and he needed to be carried out via stretcher.

On a lighter note was funny listening to the announcement as the guy was getting more and more frustrated with people lining up in the wrong place.

On the flight home I managed to grab some sleep, though the meal was still terrible.

Conclusion
    A really fun trip with great food, some great art, a Broadway show and fun wanderings. I can't wait to go back for my second trip.

A Link to the gallery of all my pictures, in a bigger version

http://s901.beta.photobucket.com/user/alexanbo/library/New%20York%20June%202012

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  2. richardinbc

richardinbc Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wonderfull report

Thank you for your trip report Alexando. A great amount of detail and I had the feeling of being there with you.

You must of enjoyed your trip very much and it shows in your report.

3. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gorgeous pics - I haven't read it yet but can't wait!!!!

4. Mali

Mali Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What an amazing trip report, thank you so much for the detail and the photos, absolutely loved it.:thumbsup:

5. prozac

prozac Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    .. ..amazing report ..

. love the wine and food descriptions, we had just attended a wine tasting this past friday evening ..

. .the dinner presentations were outstanding, reminds me very much of cruise ship dinners, except of course you had the exotic blends ..nicely done!

.$$

6. Jinx

Jinx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great report as always, love your food reports and photos.

7. alexanbo

alexanbo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the feedback, it's always nice to hear other people enjoyed the write up.

I'll be back to Vegas reports for my Christmas trip.

8. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for excellent trip report:beer:

9. Chocoholic

Chocoholic Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Amazing trip report! I’m salivating at your EMP pics.

10. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great report, thank you!

11. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, great trip report. Loved the hotel pics. Always luv those from places I can't afford. I do like good views, even if I have to pay for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.