1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Whiskey questions

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by sammowhammo, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATXTX

ATXTX VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone tried the Crown Royal Maple? Is it good?

I was thinking about getting my husband a good whiskey or good bourbon whiskey and a "novelty" whiskey like that crown maple or the JD honey.

He's a whiskey/bourbon guy so any suggestions are appreciated!

When we Were Young
  2. tonysoprano24

tonysoprano24 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

I love maker's mark

only cause of the cool bottle

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been a Jack Daniels drinker all my life... until I went to Kentucky a couple months ago. I was introduced to Maker's Mark, Woodford's Reserve, Knob Creek and Blanton's. All of them quality and flavorful...sadly, all give you a hangover when you enjoy them too much.

4. twochip

twochip Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For a standard everyday off the shelf bourbon you absolutely cannot go wrong with either Makers Mark or Woodford Reserve. I lean toward Makers but either of them are absolutely wonderful on the palate. If he is a bourbon guy and yiu want to class it uo a little I would recommend one of the single Blantons single barrell ($50) or Four Roses small batch ($40). I am currently enjoying a Four Roses myself. If you want to take the next step look for Woodford masters collection ($100). I purchased this for my sons birth announcement to sit around and enjoy with my friends. It has a very prounounced but smooth flavor. Finally, you have Pappy Van Winkle Familh Reserve. It is very good but hardly wortg the $250 price tag they charge. Honestly, I am just as happy with my Four Roses but there is definetly a difference between the varities.

If you want to do a little more for him sign him up to be a Makers Mark Ambassador. His name will go on a barrell and they will update him on the aging of his barrell. He will also be given the opportunity to purchase a bottle from his barrell when it is packaged. It a nice free program and would add a little to your overall package. You could always fly him tk Kentucky and take him around the bourbon trail to the different distilleries. A sort of drink your way across Kentucky program.

5. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 I Run the Vegas Hotdog Stand

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Consider a great single-malt or high-quality blend of Scotch whiskey... any drinker would appreciate this :)

6. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the Wild Turkey Honey. It is my drink of choice during the holiday season, and when it is cold out.

7. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If he's a whiskey guy, I'd stay away from the novelties and go with something like Woodford or Blantons. I love bourbon, but I won't touch the fruity stuff.

8. gubilxix

gubilxix Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree on the Four Roses. Not much of a Bourbon drinker, had a bad experience with Jack many years ago, but the Rose is pretty tasty and smooth.

9. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed or Kentucky Spirit. If you want to try a "novelty" type try and find Bird Dog Blackberry, a surprisingly good flavored Bourbon.

10. gabd13

gabd13 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My vote for best bourbon is Willett

11. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought a bottle of Evan William's Honey Reserve just yesterday. I've had JD Honey before, which I liked, but EW's is nearly half the price and I can't tell the difference! I'd recommend it.

Then again, as I've posted before, I can't tell the differences between most brands! I confess that's a poor commentary on my less than sophisticated palate, but I've conducted a few blind taste tests at home between several brands of whiskey ranging from obscenely expensive to downright cheap. After one of two teaspoon size samples, I can't tell one from another! And that's straight up. Add in a mixer, and especially after more than one drink, and there's no way I can distinguish. I've conducted the same test with Canadian, Scotch, Gin, Vodka, and Tequila with the same fuzzy results. (I have a large liquor cabinet and am evidently way too analytical.) Okay, there are a few selections that are just plain nasty, but between most name brands that you wouldn't be embarrassed to display in plain view, it's not easy to tell one from another.

I'm sure everyone else can discern huge differences and could easily pick their favorite out of a lineup – but I cannot. Try it and see. I'm convinced that it mostly comes down to advertising hype, visual appeal, and price. If it's expensive and maybe obscure it must be better, while being imported with an impossible to pronounce name doesn't hurt either. :D

12. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What are some of the whiskey's on his shelf?

13. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never buy novelty whiskey. If your husband buys it, leave him.

One of the best (and cheapest) bourbons out there is Old Weller Antique. Lately I've been enjoying Broken Bell and Evan Williams Single Barrel quite a bit.

14. ATXTX

ATXTX VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

That ambassador program sounds fun but I love your idea for a trip - that sounds amazing, I should think about that seriously. Thank you for the idea!

He's liked the Maker's Mark 46 I got him in the past but like TonySoprano said - I bought it for the bottle - I'm going to look at y'all suggestions on the 4 roses, Woodford & Blantons since those have been the most recommended.

The novelty whiskey is an idea to add to the few liqueurs we have like amaretto, etc so there are some sweeter options. But the thing is we are not big drinkers in general - like a bottle of whiskey can last a year or more so I'd like to get him something nice, I can't remember what I got him before the makers it's been so long haha. I'm sort of starting over.

Blackberry - that sounds good & the 2 thumbs up on the honey.... hmmm

I'm gonna take y'alls suggestions with me to my local store - they have a ton of those little airline bottles in so many liquors maybe those are there.

thanks y'all!

When we Were Young
  15. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
  16. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would advise you not take the advice on a person who would consider Weller and Evens Williams quality Whiskeys :peace:

Sammawhammo I was sursprised at the quality of the Bird Dog but I admit I bought it at first as a novelty, I am a bird dogs trainer and long time Quail hunter so for me it would be a mantle piece at worst. The base Whiskey is a good base, reminiscent of Woodford Reserve to be honest, now this will sound bad to some purists but God as my witness this stuff mixes like a charm with Dr. Pepper. :peace: The body is heavy at first, and the berry flavor very forward but that is quickly replaced by the warm fullness of a good whiskey, so please purists keep that in mind. :Þ

17. ATXTX

ATXTX VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cool recipes - those sound yummy! We will have to order those in Vegas to try them out... funny back story on the scofflaw

You make your own grenadine? do you use Pomegranate?

When we Were Young
  18. ATXTX

ATXTX VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dr. Pepper... I'm in Texas & in some places if you order a coke they will bring you a Dr. Pepper, so a berry-Dr. Pepper with alcohol sounds good to me! :thumbsup:

Thanks - I definitely need to pick up some of the birddog

When we Were Young
  19. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Talk about people to not take advice from..... :Þ

I was keeping the price down in these troubled times. You want quality bourbon, buy Pappy Van Winkle. I just can't afford to drop $200/bottle these days.

20. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't yet, but I do plan to try - I'll use the recipe David Lebovitz linked in his blog on the Scofflaw recipe - which does use pomegranate (that being the true grenadine flavor) juice and molasses.

I made more rye drinks tonight. I never liked whiskey or bourbon but I swear it's growing on me!

I made a Commodore for my husband tonight, and I had a Ward Eight made as a cooler.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.