1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Solve This Debate

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by chicagosox, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuna

Tuna High-Roller

My wife and I are taking my daughter to Vegas for her 21st (tentatively April 4-7). It will obviously be my daughters first time going as an adult, but there's one small thing my wife and I can't agree on. What time we should arrive. My wife wants an early flight so it gives us extra time to be out there. I think we should get a later flight so I can have a limo pick us up and you get the whole dramatic look of the city with the lights and all. So, my question to the professionals, when do you prefer to go and why? If you have a different reason for your choice other than what I just stated, feel free to opine.

Also, Rich/Andrew, let me know if you guys have a trip planned anytime around those dates. I'm flexible.

2. crussader

crussader Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are taking days off from work, fly out at night on your last day of work. If your first vacation day is April 4th, fly out on the night of the 3rd. This gives both an arrival with a dramatic look and it maximizes your time in Vegas.

3. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would take the earlier flight. You're only going to be there three nights. Why arrive at night and have most of the first day over and the buffets closing?

4. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I generally like to fly out at night, but not for the lights or limo ride. Just because it makes the travel easier and more comfortable, and an extra nights hotel doesn't cost me much.

Hidden downside of arriving early is you may have to leave bags at the bell desk until about 3 or pay an early check-in fee.

5. milehiman

milehiman VIP Whale

I always plan my trips to fly in early and make the most of the time that I have off from work. Generally I arrive around 10AM and when I leave I try to book a flight around 6 or 7PM

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Early and non-stop. Layovers are a deal breaker. Get there after 3 and it feels like I've lost an entire day.

7. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always fly early. Never have a problem with early check-in. You can always go for the 'dramatic effect' by hitting the strip that night, after everyone is freshened up and fed.

8. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Though I'm all for maximizing time in Vegas, I like to arrive at night when I haven't been in a while, and I think it's pretty great for a first-time visitor. I also arrive at night when I'm going to be there for a while, more than 3 days or so, since that way I get there better-rested. I suppose in part in depends on the specific times you're looking at; coming out of New York, it's often a choice between 8am and 5pm, and making an 8am flight requires me to be up so early that I feel like a zombie for a couple days.

9. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My personal preference for my own arrival is late morning.
    For any first-timers I brought to Vegas it was a night arrival.

10. Tuna

Tuna High-Roller

I should be clear, my opinion on getting there at night is strictly for my daughter. First time, showing up at night in the middle of all the lights and action seems like it would be a better experience for her. When it's just me, I prefer the morning, the more hours in Vegas the better as far as I'm concerned. When this thread goes cold I'll tally up the votes, bring them to my wife for her to ignore and book the trip to arrive in the morning.

11. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The lights will be seen eventually.

Maximize your time in Vegas.

"We saw the lights when the plane was landing, but I wish I had that 1/2 day back because we ended up not having the time to show her........."

12. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't realize we could vote for 'do whatever your wife tells you.' That's always my answer.

13. Tuna

Tuna High-Roller

haha but I always go down swinging!

14. Fafa2e

Fafa2e High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I prefer a night time arrival and agree that night time arrival for a first time visitor has greater wow factor. Also first time visitors want to go right out and start the party and the party atmosphere is better at night.

My Longest Trip Ever
  15. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have done this for my son first, then my daughter.

Both were late morning arrivals.

For my daughter, we had a very nice luncheon at the Society Cafe.

Both times, we rented a big limo at night & had it pick us up at the Mirage & go downtown, let us out for a while to see the FSE lights, then cruise the strip a bit.

Whichever way you go, I envy you! Those two trips were SO much fun!!

Best wishes!

16. lucky13

lucky13 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    get there early , then rent a limo for a nighttime ride down the strip , problem solved

17. BTSyndrome

BTSyndrome Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I are taking her sister, for her 21st birthday, in March durring March Madness.
    We are leaving right after work and will arrive at 10pm Vegas time. This will give us a long of a trip as possible as well as arriving at night for the first timer experiance.
    It worked out well that the kids spring break is at the same time as the tournament.:nworthy:

18. Jinx

Jinx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd vote for night arrival, although walking out to the lights after early arrival has an effect as well

19. GoingBroke777

GoingBroke777 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Id do this. one trip got landed in the morning, other trip we landed at night. it was nice to see at night all lit up, but id still rather have been there earlier in the day, to get more time to do other stuff.

20. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What you suggest is a great idea.

However having more time is paramount.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.