1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Shoes

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by BlueSkadoo, Nov 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay, okay...stop laughing at my title.

Does it matter what kind of shoes gentlemen wear to the nicer restaurants? As a girl, I know the standard for me is a heel. Don't have to think about it, just decide nude or black and prep for blisters. But as a guy, do you get different treatment if you show up in your sneakers, but are dressed appropriately otherwise? I'm thinking your top tier places, like Robuchon, Picasso, Prime, etc. I know the dress code in Vegas is more relaxed than it used to be but I wonder if the nikes are noticed.

2. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it depends in part on what the rest of your outfit is. If you're wearing a suit with a pair of tennis shoes, then it would definitely stand out. If you're wearing jeans and a pair of nice sneakers, maybe less so. That being said, I somewhat doubt that it would affect the treatment you got at a place like that, since it's probably not worth giving you unprofessional service just based on how you're dressed (unless they stick to a dress code and don't let you in to begin with).

It sometimes amazes me just how "more relaxed" the dress code is; I was wearing jeans, a dress shirt, and a blazer while playing craps a couple trips ago, and the boxman at Cosmopolitan kept calling me "suit", like it was the strangest thing he's ever seen.

3. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're right to give this careful consideration. It's up to you but I would consider maybe a touch bigger purse and do a switcharoo of shoes. That way you feel like you got dressed up for dinner but you're not going to die from wearing heels all night. Or if that isn't going to work, look for some cuter flats or cuter lower heel wedge style shoes or even sandals. You can wear wedges longer than a heel, I can anyway. If you get a pair of flats that have a bit more support you'll get a lot of use out of them.

4. lionelhutz

lionelhutz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    when we went to Botero at the Wynn last year, I wore a nice, light-coloured sport-coat with matching pants and my white Chuck Taylor Converse shoes. It was a little different, and definitely not standard attire at nice restaurants, but it wasn't a problem. I guess it all depends on how you wear them.

hell, even the hostess that sat us said it looked kind of cool.

5. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Skadoo, the choice for me is simple, nude every time.

Most of the downtown restaurants are very accepting of my footware, I might have a problem in some of the Smug Nugget joints if I wear my flippers though.

Running shoes with a sport coat? Works if you are Chevy Chase.

6. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey wait a minute. You're not a chick! (or a cross dresser) Sorry man. My advice doesn't apply to you. I apologize.

7. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never seen a restaurant have a problem with it. But a lot of the clubs will flat out not let a guy in if he has on sneakers. Happened to a friend of mine who was wearing brand new, very expensive Jordans. At the same time they were letting guys in wearing $15 wal-mart value rack leather shoes.

8. BlueSkadoo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Me? I'm a girl! My friend likes to wear sneaks to the fancy places, and I always wonder if they notice when they seat us.

9. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh....hence my confusion. OK, my advice does apply to you.

10. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does he have feet problems?

11. BlueSkadoo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, no feet problems other than what we all get in Vegas from too much walking.

12. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sorry I haven't been more help with your gentlemen companion. If it was me planning for my husband; I would get him a pair of black casual shoes with black laces. Something comfortable that isn't obviously a pair of casual shoes. There's a lot of choices out there now. It's the laces that are the giveaway with black shoes. Get a pair of black laces and nobody will get that close a look. I don't know that I would haul a pair of shoes for him for just one dinner but if he was wearing them the rest of the trip with jeans or khaki's that would work.

13. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shoes make the outfit for both sexes. Nothing runs a nice outfit on a dude like tennis shoes.

14. milehiman

milehiman VIP Whale

I always bring a pair of nice shoes to wear when I go to Vegas. I'll wear a pair of comfortable shoes during the day when I'm doing my majority of walking but when I go out to eat at a nice restaurant I'll change into a nice outfit including nice shoes. I tend to dress for dinner.

15. shiny

shiny Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree with Shifter 110%!

Blue, I become puzzled "aren't you dating UKFanatic" based upon your recent months' posts and the October trip report? UK appears to be a very considerate gentleman & your intimate companion, who spent his express comps to treat you with dinner, drinks and spa treatment (?) during your birthday trip (just two weeks ago)?

Adversely, your best buddy (i.e, the long time boy friend) sounds so weird and immature. According to your other thread, you need to worry about finding a restaurant to please him (no seafood, no Italian, no French, no nuts, no.....). Now, no formal shoes for going into a classic restaurant? :confused2:

My candid suggestion is to pack a pair of his dress shoes in a trendy tote bag and carry it. He can wear his tennis shoes (or whatsoever) during the long walks at Vegas. However, he can (need to) change the shoes right before entering the fine dinning place.

16. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wait. What?? Someone was at the spa with me and I didn't even notice??? What a rip off. Unfortunately, even though my spa tab was larger than average, it was all for me (I'm high maintenance at the spa). And if picking up the tab for drinks and dinner means I am dating someone, then I have two thoughts: my sister, Brensan, Royal Flusher, and the other folks at our birthday celebration and dinner that night must also be excited to know they are dating me as well; second, I am now going to buy the drink for the hottest woman I see at aria in a couple weeks and start calling her my girlfriend :blowkiss:

Besides, there's one big impediment to BlueSkadoo becoming my intimate companion: her good taste. After all, I wear bright red and organe sneakers into the high limit room all the time :thumbsup:

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  17. BlueSkadoo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now, UK, baby, you know I won't get in until after you leave so I don't know how you'll find any hotter than me! :evillaugh

Seriously though, my friend is really just that, despite what Harry and Sally say. We've been friends for a long time, but never anything else. He's a nice guy too, but we're like siblings (he's the obnoxious lil bro). Im working on the shoe thing. I'll probably lose.

And yes, UKfanatic was a very gracious host for us all. It was a top 5 birthday for me!

18. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well you wouldn't let me fly you in early on Murren Air with all my express comps, so what's a red shoed guy supposed to do????? Drunk lady at Bar Moderno, here I come!

The plans have changed
  19. BlueSkadoo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Win more at the tables to buy me shoes? That sounds like a good plan to me.

20. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All my winnings went to shoes! One pair of shoes! I'm still bitter ......... sort of

The plans have changed
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.