1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I'm going to Vegas!

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, at least I'm going to drive through it on the way to Mesquite. We're getting close to departure time for the 11th Annual Scottsdale-now-Mesquite Media Golf Classic. Staying at Eureka, tourney rounds at Oasis Palmer, Conestoga and Sand Hollow. Practice round at Oasis Canyons which I'm avoiding like the plague so I'll warm up in transit at all-world Coyote Springs.

Hmm, better go see if I have enough ammo in the bag.

2. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

While it is enlightening to see your mug back on this board, I was under the assumption you had retired from here.

3. dean_1492

dean_1492 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good to see ya back ken, whether your drive thru, or stay-always enjoy your posts.

4. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice to see you round these parts, ken2v.

Good luck with the golfing. :beer:

5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks guys. I'll be nosing around a bit.

Actually looks like we are going to Vegas. Terri and I haven't been there together for several years, and my trips of recent years have been quick in/outs for a day of the PGA show or passing through. We look forward to being turistas again and think we'll head over for several nights in December being heading on down to the desert and then Tucson.

6. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't even know it was possible to drive by Las Vegas and not stay at least one night.

7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's actually quite easy. Vegas has been very near/dear to me for a long time, but it's certainly not the only game in town.

8. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great to see your golf writings back!!

I'm heading down to the Mesquite/St. George area late December.

Plan to hit up Coyote Springs (my favorite of all), Conestoga (some fantastic holes on front), Entrada (staying at the villas there - never golfed here before), Sand Hollow (only golfed the 9 hole links course - not the 18) and Paiute (looking forward to the non-Wolf courses).

I wonder how the condition of some of these courses will be - a very hot summer (and a week-long water break) scorched Wolf Creek (not my favorite anyways), baked Entrada for a bit and, of course, affected Oasis (oh, wait, that wasn't the summer weather - it's crappy all the time!!!!)

You can rank courses based on the 'must-return-to' factor. That's why Coyote Springs and Paiute are on the list (and Wolf Creek and TPC Las Vegas are not!!).

Enjoy! (and hit them straight - or, if on Coyote Creek, have fun lagging the putts!!)

9. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

You mentioned a December visit. You wouldn't be planning to run the Vegas marathon the first Sunday of that month, would you?

10. Sam in Ut

Sam in Ut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Ken, missed your posts (being an avid golfer). Golf rounds this year has been sporatic due to back problems but getting better now. Just in time for our famous Utah snow ha ha. Just curious Ken, what is your major concern with the Canyons? My last time was in 2009 and IMO wasn't that bad. Played Coyote Springs last year and got mixed reviews from our group. I personally loved it, however got frustrated when I putted my ball off the green on one hole! LOL I hope you enjoy the trip. I would ask you to give opinions of the Eureka for we are staying there for the first time in January. We always stayed at the Casablanca but lately it's getting kind of dated and desperately needs a makeover.

PS, I too lost some Pro V-1 ammo too!

11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @dooner: I love the villas at Entrada, and a solid course. We're playing the Fought hybrid 18 at Sand Hollow. We'll see. Loved Coral Canyon last year. And Coyote really is a winner, isn't it? It went right up there with the Paiute offerings in my book (well, not literally, but you know what I mean). Snow is still my Paiute fave.

@chef: If we go, we'd likely get there on the 16th.

@sam: I think Canyons is a dog from what is now played as 11-16, that horridly bland stretch of holes traced through the houses. Druzisky really improved 10 and 18 when he got in there, and 17 always was fine. The mid stretch, not so much. The new, now front nine: I'm not one who thinks I have some right to hit driver on every longer hole, and I welcome a design that demands options. There are just too many arbitrary restrictions on that newer nine, largely owning to the housing, and the closer is just silly.

This will be my first Eureka visit since they dumped all the money into the hotel. I imagine it has helped what was a good footprint. Casa is sooooooooooooo overdue for a makeover. Looks and feels like a retirement home and has for years. We've stayed at Falcon Ridge several times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.