1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Colonoscopy

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not a fun topic but I urge every male over 50 to get one. Now my rant...

I had my first colonoscopy when I turned 50, another at 55 and the next one is scheduled. This is preventative care and covered under insurance, UNLESS they find polyps, then it is no longer considered routine.:confused2: I can understand having a polyp analyzed at a lab isn't routine, but the entire procedure then becomes non-routine:grrr:

In my case they found the polyps on each of the first two colonoscopies and thankfully they were pre-cancerous. I have no reason to think they won’t find them again and there goes preventative and routine and with my $5,000 deductible, I’m going to be on the hook for the full amount of the test and lab. Their “guesstimate ” is $4,400.:cry:

This just grinds my ass literately and figuratively.:wink2:

They tell you that it is time for the test and the fact they find something that might prevent cancer from forming you would think is a good thing, but now insurance won’t pay because it’s no longer routine.:poke:

2. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I just found out from a woman at work who had breast cancer a few years ago, and is thankfully now cancer free - that now insurance doesn't cover her mammograms anymore - it's kind of pathetic. I never knew that.

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh absolutely it covers them! The thing they don't cover is if it shows something and they do a followup scan. My wife was called back and they paid for the mammogram, OBGYN exam, but not the followup C scan. Now it's no longer considered routine.

Please don't stop getting annual mammograms!!!!
    Two of my sister in laws have had breast cancer. Cancer free now:thumbsup:

4. Tahoejoe2

Tahoejoe2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thought
    Insurance is renewable yearly. When you know it is the year for your colonoscopy get a no-deductable policy. Every year I needed a colonoscopy
    I change to a no-deductable. In Sept. 2011 my colonoscopy found a cancerous polyp. I had a 5 hour operation in Nov. 2011 and they took out 1/3 of my colon and my appendix. I was in the hospital for 7 days. I have been cancer free for one year now. No radiation or Kemo needed. The colonoscopy saved my life. They found it in time and it did not spread. Bill for operation = $250,000. My cost = $1,200 even with no - deductable. Very glad to pay it.

Bottom line. Get a colonoscopy:cheers:

5. eloisegirl

eloisegirl Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Speaking for the ladies, be sure to get one as well, gals. The procedure itself is not that bad, it's the preparation that can be a bit of an experience. If there was a strong wind, I woulda made a whistlin' noise. ;)

6. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well said, Eloisegirl. I had the pleasure of my first colonoscopy about 18 months ago (my doc recommends them for both men and women at 50). I passed with flying colors and was told to come back in ten years. It's a simple test and can potentially save your life, so it's a win-win in my book!

7. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What age were you when you dealt with this nonsense?

8. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a colonoscopy at age 24 - thank goodness nothing ended up being wrong. But yes - the prep was the worst. Not the coming out - I could deal with that. But when I did it, the only prep available was the gallon of golytely - made me puke. They have concentrates and other formulations now, so the next time I need to get one, I'm hoping it will be a slightly better experience!

(the amnesiac mixed with the sedative? That stuff rocks:peace:)

9. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh yeah :thumbsup: Versed is gooooood stuff.

10. ttom

ttom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Versed makes you forget but where the money is comes with the Fentanyl they give you.

Versed is a med like Xanax but very short acting. If you ever saw someone get their shoulder popped in while being awake but forget what happens - that is Versed.

Fentanyl is the shit. Pain killer addicts would give their left nut for it. It's extremely potent and puts morphine to shame.

There are places that have anesthesiologists around that will knock you out 100% with Diprivan but that is a different ballgame.

Fentanyl +/- Versed can be administered just by the surgeon or gastroenterologist doing your colonoscopy. Good ole 25 n 2 - which are the usual doses given.

11. Tahoejoe2

Tahoejoe2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in the hospital on my 64th birthday.

12. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    HoyaHeel
    The first couple of drinks from that gallon didn't taste too bad and were OK, then when you got to the last few ounces...:vomit:

13. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah - the taste is just like oral rehydration therapy, it was the volume & spacing I had a problem with.

I don't recall the pain killer options - I never had pain, assume they did something, but, well, I just don't remember:eek:

The mammogram wasn't so bad the first time either (again, I was way too young for that, but my last doc wanted a baseline at age 35 - which pissed off the radiologist but oh well.....)

14. ORANGECTYNY

ORANGECTYNY Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Honestly, all the prep is so worth it in the long run. I was in my 40s when I started showing symptoms and I ignored them for 2 years. My brother was even diagnosied and I still ignored it. I was not until an acquaintance told me that she had bled once and when in and they found advanced colon/rectal cancer that had me run to the the dr the next day.

Yes, mine was cancerous as well. I lost 18 inches of my colon. It was so large that the colon was 95% blocked. However, the cancer was contained to the colon and I did not need chemo, or radiation. I was very lucky and I now speak as a rep for American Cancer Society urging people to get the test and repeat it as necessary!!! Especially if there is a history in the family.

15. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I finally got a clear understandable explanation...Once they find polyps, forever after that, the test is considered diagnostic and not preventative, so that is why my insurance won't pay.

16. Tahoejoe2

Tahoejoe2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Still confused, but that is probably because I'm old.:peace:
    I've had polyps every colonoscopy(5 of them) and the insurance paid for all of them. Dr. made me get one every 3 years. Maybe you need new insurance?

17. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to buy my own insurance, not company sponsored. If I file for new insurance company, I have to fill out the medical history form. On some of them, my back surgeries are relevant, on others they are not.

On others, the polyps are a major concern and the rates go up. It's a fu*king cluster fu*k on which which company is going to count a previous problem against you.

18. mckevin32

mckevin32 Low-Roller

Re prep, I had mine Monday and used Prepopik. It's expensive (~$50 after copay) but SO much easier than anything else I've tried! 2 doses, 5 ounces each, that taste a bit like orange tang. You still have to hydrate like crazy, but you get to use any clear liquid you like. Super easy.

Scope was clean BTW...

19. Tahoejoe2

Tahoejoe2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe
    If I may recommend something.
    If you own a business, any business. Make one up. You can be a LV consulting firm. Go get a business license for $15.
    Now that you are a business you can get group medical ins. With a group med. ins you do NOt fill out medical history. The rate is the same(for your age) for everyone.
    Just my 2 cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.