1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Do I Take a Chance and Fly Allegiant?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by hanoscf, Oct 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hanoscf

hanoscf High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can fly Allegiant for $189 RT or I can go on Delta or Sun Country for $379 RT. For that kind of savings I am seriously considering taking a chance and flying Allegiant. Anyone have any thoughts?

2. teacher1

teacher1 Low-Roller

Not sure what you mean by "take a chance". It is a cut-rate carrier, they nickel and dime you to death, but they are cheap. You just click "no" on every option you can and then compare that price to your Delta price and decide. You basically get a seat and that is all. If you want to pay a higher price for the extra care and perks, than you shouldn't fly Allegiant. We have flown repeatedly on Allegiant, basically every year since 2005, but we flew SWA this year because we had free flights. We will fly Allegiant again when our free points are gone.

3. BCguy

BCguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I put up with most of Allegiants nickel and diming over the years but the recent carry-on fees was the last straw. It's Alaska for me out of Bellingham now. Better service, more legroom on planes, even if the base rate might be slightly more I think I'm done with Allegiant. Having said that, as the previous poster said if you don't care where you sit and travel light,by all means use them.. They will get you there in one piece I'm sure.

4. hanoscf

hanoscf High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have read some horror stories on this board about Allegiant. I don't care about free pop or peanuts. I will be checking a bag because I am staying for a week so I don't care about carry on fees. I will have to pay to check a bag no matter what airline I fly.

5. Eldon

Eldon Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Allegiant is fine if it's a significantly cheaper fare.

6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Still trying to figure out what the "taking a chance" question is. We have flown them many times without problems.

7. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The risk is in taking an airline that only makes a few flights per week to your destination. If it is cancelled for any reason, there is no possibility of being put on another flight that day. Allegiant has also been known to suddenly change nonstops into ones with stops so that they can pick up additional passengers in other cities. You can arrive many hours later than you planned to, without recourse or warning. They also have limited staff that double as both ticketing agents and gate agents. If you don't arrive very early for your flight, there is nobody to check you in at the desk, as they've closed it to go to the gate and start the boarding procedure.

When you start to think about it, there are in fact many many risks for the savings. If you doubt that, do an internet search for "Allegiant customer complaints" and read some of the hundreds of horror stories out there. For those who haven't had problems, consider yourselves winners. :wave:

8. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We fly Allegiant all the time, yes there are stories of being late. I've had to sit in Houston for 9 hours due to a Southwest Air issue before too. You take a chance on every airline imo.

Once you get past the fact that they charge for assigned seats, bags, and carry ons that won't fit under your seat, you'll probably find that they are still way cheaper than the majors.

They don't have free water, soda or peanuts, but a with a little planning ahead, you can bring your own on board.

My biggest issue with them is the early am flight times out of vegas, but after comparing prices, I can have my sleep messed up to save $500 per couple.

No reason to go home yet.
  9. RonDiaz

RonDiaz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have flown Allegiant many times out of Iowa to Vegas. Everything said above is true. It really is a bit of a chore to fly Allegiant, but you will get there. I am flying Southwest this January for the first time as I got a great price on their winter sale. I am looking forward to not doing the Allegiant song and dance, even if it will not be a non-stop flight. However for $200 savings I would fly Allegiant no question.

10. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown them several years ago when they were flying Lansing MI to Vegas non stop. I didn't mind them being no frills. I liked the smaller airport. It didn't occur to me that if there was a problem with that flight and it got cancelled that they don't have another flight to put me on. I think luggage and how cramped is cramped are the big deciders for most people now. Only you can decide how much of a risk you want to take.

11. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like Allegiant. The only problem is at our airport the flight departs @ 9:15pm and gets to Vegas very late ruining the first day. The trip home doesn't get in until 8:30pm.

And the seats don't recline..

12. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

No brainer - go Allegiant.
    Next month, my flt out to Vegas is on SWA, the return is on Allegiant. Went with best prices and I'm perfectly content with either one.

13. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My biggest complaint with Allegiant is that they are ALWAYS delayed. Other than that I can't complain about a 2 hour non stop flight for $200 bucks.

14. redsoxmom5

redsoxmom5 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're nervous about taking Allegiant, I'd go with your instincts. I could save a couple hundred dollars as well and drive an hour and a half but something tells me not to.

15. ttom

ttom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You take your chances on every airline, but there are more ways to roll a 7-out on Allegiant than others. I prefer the dice not to be loaded against me.

16. Smo

Smo Mr. Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just get used to the fact that their flights are hardly ever on time. :grrr:

I became spoiled with SWA; and their flights are always on-time or even early. My first 2 trips with Allegiant were late and I was pissed, but you need to remind yourself of the savings you just received VS the other carriers, and then realize the wait isn't really all that bad. Just checked flightstats.com, they are running a 62% on-time in/out of LAS to AZA (my home airport).

Now I love flying Allegiant!

17. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I first started using them, they were on time leaving Mcallen. lately they have been late. The return is usually on time. Last flight without bag fees, got in under the timeline, $180 as opposed to $440 for SW

18. AnAmericanTexanInVegas

AnAmericanTexanInVegas Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've only flown Allegiant from Midland/Odessa to Wendover, NV for their package deals (post MaxAir) so I don't know how different it is actually flying them "commercially", but all I can say is it's not great and it's not horrible.

Planes are comfortable enough, comparable to SWA.

We've had some 1 hr+ delays on the runway because they couldn't reconcile passenger counts, etc. Not sure if that has to do with the airline, the Wendover people or the airport but regardless - put a bad taste in my mouth.

Based on my limited experiences, I'd give them a B-.

Good luck.

19. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's what I know about Alegiant from our resident in-house TA ...

They are usually the cheapest, period, but ...

They have a reputation for pulling out of an area very quickly, as they did with LNK (very convenient to us) due to competition with Southwest in OMA. Alegiant is now a two hour drive away in GRI and Southwest fares have subsequently gone up! :(

If they cancel your flight for any reason, they will take NO pains to accommodate you. The best they will do is refund your $$$ eventually, about 2-3 weeks for a refund! They will not re-book you on another airline or anything like that. They do not have "a later flight" to put you on.

Having said that, we flew Alegiant a number of times with no issues when they were in LNK and twice now since they moved. The price difference was over 150 per person! No, not kidding! We have never had a flight cancelled or even delayed, but I'm well aware of the horror stories and decided to take the crap shoot.

Nowadays they charge for both checked and carry-on bags. They charge for any kind of seat selection. If you want to sit together, plan to pay.

It's kind of amusing that when they have a flight out of GRI, they totally overwhelm the small airport and terminal. There are no jet ways. They park out in the open and use both the front and rear stairs. They have only one security line and it backs up out the main door of the terminal. The line for the ladies room is nasty, both for departing and arriving flights. The silver lining in this cloud is that parking is free and an easy walk to the terminal. The Alegiant planes are the largest that the GRI airport ever handles.

If I had to grade Alegiant, I would have to give them an A- when they were in LNK and a B when they moved to GRI, but now a C since they started charging for seats and bags.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.