1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Do You Touch Base With Your Host?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by Goosey, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goosey

Goosey Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you guys touch base with your host when you arrive or sometime during your trip? When do you get your play reviewed? In the morning before you check out? The night before? Earlier when your host is on duty?

2. natedog666

natedog666 17 and 20 Expert

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me, I actually text my host after every session to make sure my rating gets entered correctly...

3. Naturaleight

Naturaleight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are a few factors to consider if you ever actually meet your host. One is the venue you are staying at. If it's a lower end property, your black action will get more attention from the host. The second is the volume of play they are dealing with at the time. And finally some hosts are just DB's.

I have my play reviewed at check out.

But if I was NateDog and playing for the stakes he plays for, I'd probably also be in constant communication making sure things were entered correctly.

4. Boone

Boone Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have my play reviewed and everything cleaned up the night before I leave. I never leave it up to the host on staff to do it.

5. Vegas55

Vegas55 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never met my host at the Cosmo. Email when I need rooms and have my played reviewed the last night of the trip.

6. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sometimes I don't have my play rated by my host until I get home. I set a call for the Tuesday following. He'll retroactively comps stuff off and refund it to my credit card, so it doesn't really matter to me. We keep meaning to get together, but my vegas trips are so short that I usually have better stuff to do.

7. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i have different routines with my different hosts. one only works days, M-F, so i don't see him much. but we always play golf on Saturday, so i see him then. if i checkout on Sunday, he looks at everything on Monday and takes care of it. on long weekends where i stay til Monday, i'll go see him in the morning before i leave. with another host he works nights and weekends so i see him a lot more. i will text to check my play, get together for drinks, etc. he looks at everything the last night before he leaves since he's not around in the morning when i checkout.

but then i always call up 2 days after my trip and have them email me my final receipt. i check to make sure everything was picked up properly and text my host if something wasn't done correctly. comps can always be fixed after you leave, there's really no need to waste time in Vegas making sure everything is done correctly.

8. Max2589

Max2589 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The last few trips my host has contacted me at least once over the course of the weekend just to check in and see If I need anything. However, with out fail my host always manages to track me down Sunday mornings at the tables.
    Very sneaky.

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It pays to stay downtown. All we do in Vegas is eat, drink and gamble. I email our host our dates. She sets us with our room and a card to use at all the Boyd restaurants for full comps. We almost never see her and this last trip I discovered I can go to the house phones at The Cal & Fremont and make my own dining reservations.

Phone call for Redwood reservations:
    Me: would like a 7 PM res.
    Operator: nothing until 9PM
    Me: I have a Gold card.
    Operator: OK, how many in the party?

Everything we get is comped up front. I’m sure if our play drops off on a couple of trips that would change. But for years its been that way and the last two trips we never even saw her.:thumbsup:

10. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My hosts usually seek me out early in my stay to say hello and small-talk...and then I usually seek them out late in my stay to review my play. I make sure I know their schedules so if I'm checking-out on their off-day I find them the night before. I prefer to meet them in person instead of exchanging phone calls/emails when reviewing play...I've had too many awkward experiences where I wonder if something was lost in translation via phone/email. Such as the time at Wynn where I had an upfront comp of $500 dining, and used $600 or so. My final bill was $100 so I called my host before checking out. He said he was in a meeting, but to go to a host on-duty who would take care of me. The host on-duty said it would be no problem...and then I got a call from my host the next day apologizing that there was nothing more they could for me "beyond the $200 credit." Very confusing considering my credit was $500, and it was taken care of.

11. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I arrive and my host in on duty, she works 7p to 3a then she will text me shortly after check in and I will go see her. If I arrive in the morning and she is not on duty she will text me after she arrives. She also takes me out to dinner the second night I'm in town if my schedule permits. Then throughout my stay she will see me and come over to the table and say hi, small chit chat. She is not overbearing just the right amount of contact. If I say something like I got killed at the tables or I dropped a boat load of cash she always say, yes I see that...but always with a smile on her face....:thumbsup:

12. JillyFromPhilly

JillyFromPhilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I find they usually wind up finding & touching base with me periodically throughout a trip, and they usually always either leave a voice mail or track me down the last night to let me know everything's taken care of, if I'm getting "airfare", etc. - the only time I ever felt the need to specifically track one down was with my Palazzo host on our most recent trip, because we ended it unexpectedly & abruptly.

13. waspie

waspie Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My host will give a call shortly after we’ve checked in to make sure we’re happy with the accommodations. We’ll usually seek each other out mid way through the trip for a short visit to make the usual catch up small talk and congratulate / commiserate, depending on whether I've been the bug or the windscreen. We come in on the basis that we’re being taken care of and she’s been good to her word so I haven’t felt there’s a need to sit down with her and review play before I leave.

14. Goosey

Goosey Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting. So if my host isn't on duty when I finish gambling it's really not a problem right? I can just have my host review my play before then or after and it wouldn't matter I suppose. In the past, I've went to the host office and usually have another host review my play. It is a bit of a time waster.

15. JillyFromPhilly

JillyFromPhilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're always better off having your actual host review your play - particularly if you're on the bubble, low-played, lost big, etc. - if you're not sure if they're going to be on duty when you leave, just send them a text or leave them a VM the afternoon/evening before your day of departure - telling them when you're leaving & that you just want to touch base before then & most good hosts will usually either track you down for a quick discussion or at the very least send you a text or quick VM back letting you know everything's good.

16. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually don't call him until the day before checkout.
    The exception to that is if I need something or if there is some kind of problem I need to discuss.
    The only time I have had a host approach me at a table was when I was playing somewhere other than where I was staying.

17. PayDaMan

PayDaMan Guest

Usually try meet up as early as possible, just to catch up and chit chat, see what shows we can get comped etc. Normally try to get a lunch in. Get play reviewed the day before we leave. Normally drop him a mail when I get back home just to say thanks and get him to do a review. Always get a refund back to credit card due to play the night before we leave. Never a problem :nworthy:

18. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always take my host out to dinner. Usually see her a few more time just to say hi.

19. Goosey

Goosey Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do hosts go out to dinner with anyone or is that usually reserved for high rollers? After reading this thread, I might get in touch with my host more often, but I'm not sure I'll try to set up a dinner date. I figure that I'm in no way an important client and having to take time out to go to dinner with me is probably a waste of time. :eek:

20. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Should I get a host if I play $200 per hand in baccarat?

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.