1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

TSA & wristwatches?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have always taken my wristwatch off if I had to go through the body scanner. 3 trips ago, I forgot and was already in the tube and TSA guy in Milwaukee says it's fine to leave it on. OK, so for the last 6 flights I've left it on w/o a problem. Milwaukee, Seattle & Vegas.

My brother left Milwaukee on Saturday and they made him go back because he left his watch on :rolleyes2:

Just curious what happens at your airport? What do you do?

In the big picture it's not a big deal, just wondering since it's raining again and the grass won't get cut again.:wink2:

Oh and speaking of the TSA, my wife filled her 1 qt baggie with booze minis and had no problems either way.:beer:

2. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's totally random. I fly all over, and every airport is different. It's really not very efficient.

Travelling last week, my son had a bag of dominoes in our carryon (too heavy to go in checked...long story). One one end of the flight, they wanted to x-ray the bag. Coming back, they didn't even mention it.

I've forgotten to take my quart bag of liquids out of my carryon before, and not been stopped.

Belts are another one -- I have a non metalic belt, and some places they want it off, some places it can stay on.

3. harry47

harry47 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    shoe removal

In Chicago we had to remove our shoes. In Las Vegas we were told seniors did not have to remove shoes.

4. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never take mine off. one time some noob bothered to peer under the band(all 1'8th inch of it).

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :banana::banana: Only 15 more years until I get to the magic TSA shoe age.:evillaugh

6. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seniors...so subjective. I have seen senior discounts ranging from age 50-70 as the beginning age....wonder what the TSA considers seniors? I can live with most of the security regulations but I am dreaming of the day when I can leave my stupid shoes on.

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    75 according to their site.

8. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i don't go through those body scanners. but i don't take my watch off to go through the regular metal detectors or for the pat down.

9. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have TSA Pre-Check and haven't had to take my shoes (or my belt or jacket) off in a looooooong time. :Þ

10. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So you request a pat down each time?

12. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i don't go through either the backscatter or the millimeter wave scanners. i'm precheck so usually i get that. when i don't, i look for a lane that has a regular metal detector, but those are harder and harder to find these days. so when i have to go through a lane with a scanner, yes, i opt out and get a pat down instead.

the worst airports by far are the small ones. gulfport/biloxi is the worst i've been in. they have the old backscatter scanner and always send everyone through it even when the line backs up. they refuse to send anyone around to speed up the line. then when you request a pat down they usually have some newbie doing it who takes forever and makes it as painful as possible. one guy ran his hand so hard up my leg into my crotch ... all i can say is i was lucky that i wasn't hanging on the side that day ...

13. HAWJOHN

HAWJOHN Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When travelling, I swap to a non-metallic band type watch. I leave it on and have not had a problem in the past few years.

14. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

As you mentioned, it all depends on the airport. I find that the Honolulu airport is pretty restrictive, they require you to remove your belt and shoes (I have a long way from being a 75 yo senior citizen). Hawaiian is kind of a pain also, they usually weigh my carryon, it has to be 25 lbs or less so I have to watch out even before I start my trip.

I find the vegas security checkpoints to not be as restrictive as other cities. I sometimes forget to take out my liquids and vegas security let it pass through many times. I also forgot to take off my belt and (metallic) watch and I got through the metal scanner without getting beeped.

Many airlines aren't even as restrictive either, Hawaiian in vegas allowed my 54 lb suitcase on without any problem, though they are a pain at Honolulu international airport. Southwest this time made me take out stuff until it was exactly 50 lbs (butthead ticket person) while my friend got through with a bag that weighed 51.5 lbs.

15. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always take off my watch because I have a metal hip replacement which means I always sound the alarm on the metal detector. I tell them before I go through if they're paying attention. But if not, I have to go through the metal detector twice after I've already said I'm going to beep. Then I have to wait for someone to come which takes several minutes then the search again several more minutes. I fly out of JFK and a couple times when it was busy they sent some people directly to the scanners. I didn't get searched after they view the scanner. So scanners have made it quicker for me to get through. One time in Aruba when I was going through the metal detector the alarm didn't sound. That's when I was actually concerned.

16. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately, I don't see LAS on the list and they go out of their way to send people through them.

17. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
  18. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that's because LAS already has the new millimeter wave units, so they will not be replaced.

19. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read that the backscatter machines were removed due to concerns about radiation.

20. prozac

prozac Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    \

.. makiki you're exactly right .. honolulu is the worst ..i strip off my belt, shoes, jacket, stuff my iPhone into my backpack and even pack my wallet(s) as well ..what the hell with a wallet?? i was pissed at one airport, i called the security guy a **** from the gestapo ..

.. hon airport .they tried to make me take off my watch and i said "this is a rolex, it stays on, period .." .scan it manually .. and .they scanned me ..knuckleheads ..

, all other airports, LA, SF, UT, Minn, even the smaller ones like Philadelphia, no issues at all.. with the mini liquor bottles, no problem anywhere ..

one thing i know about the weight thing, don't mess with it ..anything close to 50lbs may set some airline employee off, or they let it go .., one time i saw a small family of 3 digging and re-arranging suitcases at the counter in order to make the limits .. to me, 51 lbs, let it ride ..

.. on first class tickets, i've gotten away with 57lbs .. yup

. ..
    .. $$

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.