1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tablet? or other device info needed?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Oct 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We take our big laptop on each trip and every time the person in front of us reclines their seat, I have no room. We watch movies on the 3+ hour flight and it helps us pass the time.

So, I have a milestone birthday coming up next month and my wife suggested instead of her buying me a gift that I probably won't like (yea, we're both hard to buy for), she suggested something like a "tablet" to take on the plane and not be bothered if some As*hole decides to recline all the way back.

I'm a large person but choose to never recline my seat knowing how it inconveniences the person behind me. Yea, yea, I know, if they don't want them to recline, the option shouldn't be there. It's still rude and deserves a thread of its own.:poke:

OK, so what should I be looking at? I want to be able to copy movies to the device to watch on the plane. I don't need phone or internet, but since none of these devices have an optical reader, what do I need? Looking for recommendations. It has to be big enough screen for both of us to watch the movie.

I own Magic DVD Ripper, but don't know how to copy that to the tablet, or whatever you would call it, since it has no DVD reader.

2. 9wishes

9wishes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I kind of have a mixture of media...dvd's and digital. I'm having the same fight with myself, should I take the laptop or just get everything I need on my iPhone. Its pretty small for watching shows, but I do. If I was ready to buy an iPad that's what I would take instead of the laptop for sure.

A new tablet would have wifi capability. That's how you download or watch on the net without paying for service for it. Several ways to get wifi (preferrably for free). For instance, even though I have a regular Dell PC type laptop, I buy most of my entertainment through iTunes. Its there forever to download or watch. I can watch it on my laptop or my iPhone (or iPod or iPad if I ever get one of those, which I probably will to replace the laptop). I don't have to keep it there, I can download it over and over once I've purchased it. I have free wifi at work so I do all my downloading there. Doesn't have to be iTunes or Apple products, this is just what I use that works for me. I like simple. I love my iPhone. I'll stick with them (and I know there are many people who feel the opposite--just my preference).

You can get your dvd's made into digital copies (or maybe can do that yourself), then you'll have to figure out how to send them to yourself and download them to your tablet.

3. vegas3

vegas3 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Use Dropbox. You will copy it to your dropbox folder on your computer and it will download to your dropbox folder on your tablet. As long as you installed the program on each device.

After ripping you might need to convert it(its called transcoding) to mp4 or mv4, search for handbrake. I believe its at handbrake.fr.

These are all free.

Also copy it to another folder on your tablet like downloads so you have room to copy another movie for the flight back. Free dropbox is only 2gigs of space.

other dropbox like programs are box.net and ubuntuone.

4. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i have a big laptop also, but recently purchased a mini laptop instead of a tablet. my wife has a tablet and it's fine, but it's limited what you can do with it. my mini laptop isn't much bigger than a tablet, but has full computer functionality, which i like. i got the samsung series 9 ultrabook. the only thing is it's a lot more expensive than a tablet.

you would rip the DVDs on your computer or buy them in digital format of mp4 or avi. then you can plug the tablet into your computer and copy the movie files to the tablet to play.

5. volfaninbama

volfaninbama High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you want the best get the IPad if you want good but economical new kindle fire hd is a good choice.

6. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a fan of Apple products, so my IPad is what I watch on flights. I'm told Samsung makes a nice tablet device as well. One thing you also might consider is a laptop that has a swivel-screen... several manufactures used to make them, I'm sure they still do. We had one at the office for awhile and the beauty of them is that it opens like a regular laptop and then you take screen and swivel it 180 degrees around so the bottom part of the laptop is in the back and the screen is up front away from the seat-back. It sure worked for me on a couple of cross-country trips.

7. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A second endorsement of the iPad, I was too cheap to spend $500 on myself, so my wife and kids gave me a great birthday present. Great screen, I downloaded a couple of free tv shows (Wicked Tuna, Pawn Stars), played some blackjack and practiced video poker on a recent flight. I bought an inexpensive genuine imitation leather folio to carry it around. There are many aps to match your interests. I borrow books from my local library and read them on the iPad. I have the second generation wifi 16 gig without 4g.

I gave my wife a kindle fire, she loves it and downloads books via Amazon because she is not a cheapskate like me. This has a browser and you could view videos, but we have never done so.

Apple is supposed to introduce an iPad mini in a few weeks, you may want to hold off until then.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I appreciate the reply and I did look it up, but $1,200+ is not in the birthday gift budget. That would raise the bar too high for her birthday in February. :wink2:

9. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bit lower tech (but effective)...

I did take my laptop on my recent trip, but never took it out of the bag. My Samsung Galaxy functioned just fine as a computer while in Las Vegas (including allowing me to post some in-person trip updates on this forum).

But for the plane, my personal DVD player bought at a Black Friday sale three years ago for $40 took care of my entertainment needs. I will never take my laptop again (unless I specifically have work to check-up on... very rare for a three-day Vegas trip), and the DVD player and discs take up significantly less space (and weight) than a laptop.

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Honestly, I never thought of that, but it might be a viable solution.:thumbsup: I'd still bring the laptop just in case, but I wouldn't need it on the plane.

11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, I've almost got her convinced that I would appreciate a trip to Vegas more for my birthday (big 60), than a smaller device to watch movies.:wink2:

I can put up with the laptop stuck in my belly if the person in front reclines.

With our SWA points, it would only cost $20. Nov 16-20.

Deal isn't done, but I'm working on it.:evillaugh

12. Boone

Boone Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My recommendation:

Ipad - download videos through itunes as others have stated.

The reasons why I am anti laptop are:

#1 and #2 Laptops (Dell and Mac) = too big when someone reclines. Even in business class I get the cramped feeling when trying to watch.
    #3 Laptop = My sweet sweet sweet light, small sony vaio! .... this little bad boy went everywhere with me until I was watching a movie flying somewhere and someone reclined....crack...... the smaller laptops screens will conveniently fit in the small groove where your table top was. Since then I have found that the Ipad soft case will collapse if put in the same situation and it will slide down unharmed.

I travel a lot and have found that my Ipad has become and extension of me. At first I just told people it was just a nice way to check emails but it has evolved over the years. Even if I have my laptops with me I will have the Ipad out constantly and the laptops stay in the bag.

13. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whoo hoo, no tablet for me but a Vegas trip Nov 16-20.:thumbsup:

Happy birthday Joe!

Big 60.
    Crap, hoping to see Eagles at MGM on 11/17 (my birthday) and no tickets available on Ticketmaster.

14. redowl

redowl Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a much better birthday present than a tablet!
    :beer:

15. gguerra

gguerra High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check out the Galaxy Tab II. There is a 7" and a 10" version both android devices. A very worthy competitor to the ipad. I dislike apple products. They are nice but they force you to things "their way" and pay too much in the process. I own a 7" and am in love with it. Google it for some reviews. Currently $199 no tax and free shipping. The 7" is perfect for one person watching a movie. It supports many formats and it all depends on the video player you are using as to which ones to use. Avi, MKV, MP4 come to mind. Most of the worthy software is free or cheap and easily downloaded via the Google play store (like itunes). They have a Wifi version and 3g and 4g versions available from Verizon, AT&T etc. I could go on and on. I think it beats out the Kindle Fire HD on features and now that it is the same price it's a no brainer. It also has expandable memory via a Micro SD chip up to 32gb. (Not so on the Ipad). Just my .02

16. luvvp

luvvp Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey, How about this scenario.

You're going to have a wonderful winning trip and when you get home, or still in LV, buy an I-Pad!!

I do love mine, it does everything I need especially taking pictures and videos.

I guess it's easier for a woman to carry it around since the handbags I use when I travel are larger than usual. Someone always wants me to carry something! :grrr:

17. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  18. DMSCR

DMSCR High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  19. 9wishes

9wishes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.