1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

flight booked...and really expensive

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by lionelhutz, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lionelhutz

lionelhutz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    booked our flight for our March trip, and ended up paying $700 roundtrip each.
    I wanted to wait a bit to see if the prices go down, but that week is March Break week around here, when all the schools are off, and didn't want to take a chance.

Flying out of Toronto is significantly expensive :grrr:

2. Bamfbowhunter

Bamfbowhunter Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should have watched prices. I got super bowl weekend round trip for 158$

3. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did you look at any U.S. based airports or didn't you want to drive? I've seen several Canadians on here talk about driving to DTW, Buffalo etc.

4. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you paid so much because you booked so extremely early. 6 months is way too early to get any sort of good fare. you have to wait until 6-8 weeks out unless they have a sale in the meantime.

5. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Though I've never done it in the other direction, whenever I go to the Toronto area it's always several hundred dollars cheaper for me to fly through Buffalo instead of YYZ.

Also, as shifter said, it's still incredibly early. I looked at Thanksgiving weekend a couple months ago and it was close to $600 out of New York; two weeks ago it was as low as $350, and I finally pulled the trigger on Wednesday night at $365.

6. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, he has a point though. March break won't be getting any seat sales, and Toronto is pricey to begin with.

I'm with blackjacknut, if you don't mind the shuttle/drive, Buffalo/Detroit is way cheaper. If he's from Toronto it'd probably be Buffalo as Detroit would take 3-3.5 hours.

7. magic_man12

magic_man12 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cheapest I've gotten from Toronto is about $450 ish. I've seen round trip for $392 before taxes in... but only a few times. $700 doesn't surprise me though. Could be worse still....

I've flown connecting flights and from buffalo before. Both save a bit of cash, but I'm at the point now where I'd rather pay for the convenience and to save the time. Buffalo airport is 2hrs (assuming no border hold ups) + paying for parking, and connections can be missed and you spend 8 hours somewhere like Denver (happened to me before)... totally not worth it in my opinion. Vegas is only 4ish hours away direct. If you go from Buffalo or with connection(s) your first day is basically scrapped traveling, which I hate!

8. pokerbucketlist

pokerbucketlist Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That price is reasonable. I'm paying $830 round from YYZ. If i waited 2 weeks it would have been over $1100.

For a few hundred bucks IMO its not worth it to drive out of your way to Buffalo or Detroit when you factor in the time, gas, border crossing, wear and tear on your car etc. Its a holiday!

9. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure what your talking about........because SWA flies at least 2 NON-STOP flights out of Buffalo, NY daily.......we always use SWA non-stop flights on the way to the Promised Land......LOL

10. Red18andRed23

Red18andRed23 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am from TO and fly out of Buffalo all the time...(I am actually typing this from Tampa..on vaca now...flew out of Buffalo 2 weeks ago)...we enjoy the drive to and from...its not bad at all...we usually make it a shopping trip too...the best part is clearing customs in your car...we are going to LV in February and paid $297 total each...non stop from Buffalo :) We also had a credit note to use because our Florida flights dropped big time...with the credit note we ended up paying $168.00 each non stop to Vegas...not bad at all!!

We fly Southwest all the time...its definately worth it to check their prices regularily!!

Cheers!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.