1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Love was just OK, I don't understand the hype

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by Saaz, Oct 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saaz

Saaz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just saw Love and while it wasn't terrible, I left very disappointed that there was very little Cirque in the whole show. I have seen about a dozen Cirque shows and enjoyed every one. Love should be billed as an interpretive dance show set to Beetles music. What they do with the stage and visual effects is quite impressive, but anyone can build a theater with great effects. Nothing in the show made you think, "Wow, how did they do that?" And I don't feel the precision of the acts was up to the traditional Cirque level. Every act that was acrobatic, (which I remember only 3), had many mistakes in the timing.

I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same?

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yeah, i like the old school cirque style shows better like Mystere and the traveling shows better than the dance shows like Love or Elvis. hoping Zarkana is along these lines, which it appears to be from the trailers.

3. fas87

fas87 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I definitely agree. I did not appreciate the show, but I always thought it was due to the fact that I enjoy, but don't love, Beatles music. Interesting to hear others express the same opinion.

4. Tahoejoe2

Tahoejoe2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Loved the show. I loved the Beatles music. I was in college during a lot of their music. I went down memory lane. They could have skipped the aerobatics as far as I'm concerned. Just the music and the mystique of the 60's. Love, sex and rock & roll. :peace:

5. martinr

martinr Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even though the show is a Cirque production, nobody considering it would go just because it's a Cirque show. If you are not a Beatles music fan, it's doubtful that you would walk away pleased with your choice. It is what it is, as they say. Mystere, O, etc. are not based on a specific historical subject such as the Beatles. They are conceptual. Zumanity is somewhere between Love and the other current shows. I didn't see the Elvis production. But, similar to Love, if you were not an Elvis fan, you would probably not consider spending money and time seeing it.

I woudn't consider going to a Cirque production based on Bob Marley's music, for example, since I am not a fan of his music.

First Time Staying on the South End. Will I Hear Southern Accents?
  6. Happily

Happily High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for saying that! I've said the same thing probably 30 times on this board and feel like I'm the only one. I found it very disappointing from a Cirque perspective. Great music, great costumes, but overpriced and disappointing as a Cirque show for sure. I cringe every time someone recommends it be someone's first or only Cirque show.

7. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I saw it years ago -
    and wrote about it in my trip report.
    I was unimpressed.
    Loved Mystere, though.

8. kel3420

kel3420 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought I was the only one who thought anything negative about this show. Well, maybe negative is too strong. Love is the only Cirque show that I have NO desire to see. It's the only one we haven't seen, come to think of it. I really don't like the music, never have. My mother is appalled and thinks I am unamerican, lol. I grew up with it, and have never liked it. I am leaving for Vegas later today and staying at Mirage for two nights and have some kind of really discounted or free tix to this show and can tell you with certainty, the offer will go unsed, lol. To each their own, except that I appear to be in the minority with this opinion, lol.

:beer::beer::beer:

9. bubbamsu

bubbamsu Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The reason why I like LOVE a lot is twofold:

1. I am huge Beatles fan and I like what they did with the soundtrack.
    2. I have always told people it is the least CIRQUE of any show I have seen and it is something a little different from the others, which I enjoy. You are NOT going to leave show and have a discussion on what "this" or "that" was about. We once went with a friend who does not like the Beatles and warned him that he would not like it, but since the tickets were comped he did not care and went anyways. Guess what?? He did not like it!!!!

I can definetely see where one would not like it if you were not a Beatles fan or you really appreciate the artistic value of the other Cirque shows.

I have seen most of the others and I do like them. But, for me I would put LOVE at the top.

10. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the Beatles music, but I don't love their music. Thus, like you, we walked away thinking it was an okay show, but not a great show. I LOVE Mystere and have seen it 3 times. I think my DH said it best when he offered up this view "this show would be better if you walked in and were taking hallucinogenics". LOL.

11. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL, there's an expression I never thought I would hear. :) :)

12. Saaz

Saaz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Several people have said you must like the Beetles which I do. I am a huge fan of live theater from local to Broadway. Have seen and enjoyed many shows like Love. The one act that sticks in my mind was the hand slapping tap number with, I believe, 5 couples dancing. The concept was good, but they looked like they practiced the routine for the first time that afternoon. Nothing about it was in time or had any rhythm. Just a bunch of people jumping around with loud shoes. My daughter's fifth grade dance class has better timing, and they don't charge $150 to see them.

13. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the Beatles, I like Cirque shows and have seen them all except Zumanity. Love blew. We were going to leave early it was so bad. I, like many of you, do not get the hype. Very very disappointed as there really was nothing "Cirque" about it. Although perhaps that is why some people like it, for the change up.

Least favourite show I have seen in Vegas by quite a bit.

14. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We love the Beatles and loved the show.

15. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't know what to make of LOVE of my first viewing. So much going on that it seemed like a disorganized mess. Oh, but when I researched all of the little vignettes, characters, and symbolism, it became a stunning work of art.

I've seen it a dozen times now, and have enjoyed it each and every time after the first. And I must strongly disagree with anyone who says it isn't worthy of the ticket price. From the massive custom-built theater to the incredible sound system, huge cast, multitude of elaborate costumes, synchronized lifts, sets, lighting, projection, and all of the physical stunts - this is one show where you see and hear what your money paid for. And quite frequently, those tickets are under $75 for great seats.

Unlike paying $250 to see Garth Brooks sit on a stool.

16. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not a beatles fan but am a huge fan of the odd cirque music so thats why i dont want to see this one.

17. pywakit

pywakit Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ditto..granted I am a Beatles fan. Have seen it twice, first time don't think I saw much of the show itself, I was so impressed with the sound system had my eyes closed. Gained a brand new appreciation of John Lennon's voice. Second time I thought the sound was a bit loud, kept hearing more distortion than the first time but enjoyed the actors more.

18. GREGRIO

GREGRIO VIP Whale

LOVE has been around quite a while now.
    After it opened, even though it's a CIRQUE production, it
    was obvious LOVE was a tribute to the MUSIC of the Beatles
    and quite different from all the other CIRQUE Shows.

George Martin and his son Niles did such an amazing job re mixing
    the music...even grouping more than one song with another and
    having it work, is truely a work of art.

In Order Of Performance:
    The MUSIC...
    The Beatles story...
    The Artists.

I've seen it at least a dozen times also and many Artists have come
    and gone. Newbies might still be perfectling their routines, but on the
    whole, the performances are quite entertaining AND THE SHOW MUST GO ON!

For those folks who were disappointed in the lack of CIRQUE accrobats in LOVE...
    'ZARKANA', soon to open at Aria should take care of that.

19. sarah9nascar

sarah9nascar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've seen LOVE 3 times now and loved it more each time. I've seen all the Cirque shows in Vegas and it was my favorite with Zumanity my next favorite, so I guess I don't like the original like Cirque shows. We will seen Zarcana next on November 1st. See you there Gregrio!!:beer:

Sema Show
  20. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just ordered my Zarkana tickets for third week of December. Luckily, it's one of the few major shows performing during that week, and I was still able to get the seats/prices I wanted. Looks like there's still some enthusiasm for Cirque in Vegas, despite 7 shows and an 8th coming. But I will never ever see MJ. He already has been troweled onto more things than I can tolerate. :vomit:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.