1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Javier's at Aria - anyone been yet?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by JillyFromPhilly, Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JillyFromPhilly

JillyFromPhilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone tried Javier's - the new Mexican restaurant at Aria - yet?

Even though we're staying @ Palazzo, we're looking to burn off excess Express Comps on our upcoming trip + the wife loves Mexican, so after seeing it's now open & checking out the menu, we're thinking about trying it out.

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i saw them doing the remodel on that when i was there for the bacc tourney last month. have to let us know how it is.

3. elvis66

elvis66 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is it open yet?

4. JillyFromPhilly

JillyFromPhilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The website says it is "now open" and there's a menu posted - but that's actually partly why I was asking, because I hadn't really read or heard anything about it actually having opened - and now I also just went back & checked and it isn't an option in the drop down dining reservations box - so now I'm thinking it actually isn't open yet.

5. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We'll be at Aria starting this Friday. If it is open, we'll try it and let you know :)

6. gpburdell

gpburdell Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ate there last week. It was fantastic. It's pricey (for Mexican food), but given it's in Vegas and in a world class hotel it's not surprising. I had the Cabo Azul and is one of the best meals I've had in awhile. Very tasty with generous portions of lobster and crab. This is my new favorite restaurant in Aria. Another bonus is that it's open late. When I'm in Vegas, I normally don't eat on a normal schedule and most places are closed by 10.

7. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks for the review....looking forward to trying this next week. I love Tex Mex, so hope this is at least as good!

8. westie

westie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  9. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Westie:
    I don't read a lot of restaurant reviews, but it seems to me that this guy has a lot of hate....and not just for the restaurant. Geez......he hates Laguna Beach and he hates Javiers and whatever other restaurant is at the end of Crystals mall. I wouldn't know Laguna Beach if I ran into it.....but is this a typical review?

I'm still going to try it--I love a great margarita.

10. KellyLovesVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow - that reviewer seems both full of himself and very bitter. Ragging on a community in California and wistfully mentioning the East Village... I doubt he'd be happy anywhere but NYC. It makes me wonder why he doesn't just move back there and forget about everything west of PA.

11. larryg

larryg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Food critic John Curtas is a bit of a character - and soon to have a TV show, along with fellow character, he of the dyed mohawk, Al Mancini. While Curtas can sometimes go off the deep end in his prose (to put it mildly), I find his conclusions about food to usually be accurate. By "accurate," I mean he agrees with me -- what else could accurate mean? :wink2:

12. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay, so the guy is a character and about to have his own show.....big whoop. What I really want to know (and I guess I'll do some searching now) is whether he liked Julian Serrano's. I love that restaurant....if he hated it, then I know I will probably love Javiers.

I still agree with Kelly--the guy is full of himself and bitter. :eek: According to my DH, who loves the Jim Rome show.....Jim Rome says the Javiers in Laguna is a fab restaurant. Now, maybe Jim Rome is getting paid to say so, but that is another data point. :peace:

13. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a fan of John Curtis, but he is mos def a snob. Personally, I really like that he has a strong point of view, even if I don't always agree with his conclusions (although I often do). Vegas is full of awful homer food writers.

For what it's worth, he waxes poetic about Carnevino's dry aged beef, Jilly. Like you, he thinks they serve the best cut of beef in in Vegas.

Also, Mastro’s is indeed terrible.

Edit - Jilly he really likes JS's: http://www.eatinglv.com/2009/12/julian-serrano/

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  14. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Javier's and Mastros are in Newport Beach, not Laguna (I lived there for 5 years) but the reviews John Curtas gives them are spot on. Gorgeous spaces and clientele, horrific, absolutely clueless service, marginal food, and high prices.

No doubt I will try Javier's at Aria but I am prepared to be disappointed.

15. KoryD in WI

KoryD in WI Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ate there monday night the food was very good. And the place was packed and this was at like 10:00 p.m.

16. KellyLovesVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had lunch here yesterday. I would characterize the food as modern Tex-Mex. For my fellow Texans, the food most closely resembles that of Cafe Adobe. Its not great and not creative. Javiers is definitely not a "foodie" place. With that said, if you accept it for what it is, it is okay. The table salsa was bland (for us Texans) and their "special spicy" Habanero salsa was fairly mild. Not many Habaneros gave their lives for that salsa ;) The decor is nice and the leather upholstery is comfortable. Perhaps we lucked out - our waitperson was competent, personable, and seemed familiar with details of the entrees. Overall, the prices seemed reasonable, with a few entrees on the high side.

17. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kelly:
    How were the margaritas? Papasitos is my fave Tex Mex here--great food and fabulous margaritas. You can hide a lot of sins in the food if the drink is good. Too bad about the salsa. We'll be trying this place in 3 or 4 days! Thanks for the review.

18. KellyLovesVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The margaritas were decent. My current fav is Don Julio Anejo with Grand Marnier, and they did it to perfection. Today I had a couple of their Javier's margaritas which had a different tequila with Grand Marnier, and they were good. They have a respectable selection of tequilas. Cheers!

19. nubia11

nubia11 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We recently had dinner at Javier's and, overall, our experience is in line with KellyLoveVegas. The space is pretty cool, warm and cozy. We dined at the bar. Service was good and our bartender made some decent recommendations. We enjoyed the margaritas and I thought the food was fine but nothing exceptional. Overall, it's not a place that I would go out of my way to visit again but, I would give it another try if we were in the vicinity and looking for some Mexican inspired food and beverage.

20. JillyFromPhilly

JillyFromPhilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    John Curtas does get on my nerves sometimes - his ego is definitely out of control & IMO too often he goes off on tangents and nit-picks on things that really aren't relevant - but in general, we do agree more often than we don't [he loves Carnevino & Julian Serrano, thinks the food at Wynn has gone downhill, etc.] - but overall I take word of mouth reviews more to heart than critic reviews when making a decision.

However, in the case of Javier's, I have a feeling we'll be trying it on our next trip anyway unless word of mouth is overwhelmingly negative - if for no other reasons than that my wife loves Mexican food & I still have a lot of express comps to burn & Javier's seems like it's the most expensive Mexican place in town...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.