1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Seattle light rail...at night

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by saintpauljeff, Oct 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I'm aiming to take this from the airport to my Pike Place hotel, but it's going to be late- after 11pm. To all you Seattle-ites, this a good idea? How long of a ride is it from the airport to downtown? TIA

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the end we chickened out on taking the light rail and took a Shuttle from Seatec to the downtown hotel we were staying at. Shuttle Express for $27 total for the two of us. Scheduled a pickup time and they were there within 10 minutes of promised time for the return trip to Seatec.

They also have a fixed rate for taxis to the downtown hotel district. $44+ tip.

3. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the world of public transportation, Seattle has one of the cleanest, nicest rail systems. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to take the light rail at night. I was on the train at 11 just a few weeks ago, following a Huskies game, and have taken the train dozens of times without incident.

From airport to downtown, you are looking at 30-40 minutes. Not a bad ride. make sure you grab a forward facing seat, as 30+ minutes riding backwards really sucks.

Nick:beer:

4. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like the Seattle light rail is like the Minneapolis light rail and that works for me! Here's hoping for decent weather at the beginning of November :thumbsup:

Thanks guys.

5. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is not a flat rate from the airport to hotels in Seattle. Only from the downtown hotels back to the airport. Rates out of the airport are metered, and it can get expensive if you get stuck in traffic, or longhauled. There are car hire services, similar to Vegas, some of them even painted up to look like taxi cabs.

Light rail is great. I used to always drive to the airport, but now take light rail whenever I can. Where are you staying, Jman?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  6. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Red Lion on 5th Ave. Got a decent deal on Priceline so i'm happy with that. Looks like I'll be within walking distance of alot of stuff. Also going to the Vikings/Seahawks game. My first time in Seattle!

7. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is a very good location. Walking distance to most everything you would want to go to, even the field (although that is kind of a long walk). When you said Pike Place hotel, I thought maybe you were staying in my hotel, and was going to try to hook you up :)

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My error, it is only from downtown district to Seatac. Glad we took a shuttle.

jman, check into the free city bus service for your football game. It might be only a summer thing? It runs only within a certain downtown area. We caught a free bus right outside our hotel. Drawback, it doesn't take you all the way and we got dropped off and walked through the rescue mission area. No big deal, plenty of other people walking to the game. It was a day baseball game at Safeco, so no big deal. Knowing now, I wouldn't do it at night.

Pyramid Brewing was right across the street from Safeco. Great place for a decent sandwich and a couple of cold ones before the game. The football stadium didn't look that much further, but it might be an illusion like a "Vegas Block"

August was our first trip and we really enjoyed the city.:thumbsup: Hope you have a good time.

9. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guess I should have made this post prior to bidding on Priceline :( Thanks for the thought though!

Thanks for the tip on Pyramid Brewing Joe, might just have to check that out. I initially thought of just hoping back on the light rail to get over near the stadium, but we may end up walking, who knows (my wife just ran a marathon last weekend so i'm sure she'd prefer some form of cardio)

10. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The free ride area downtown was discontinued on October 1st. :( That was one of my favorite ways to get around downtown.

11. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    it used to be free in the downtown zone? interesting idea... (guess I'd wonder how they paid for that)

$.50 here to ride on the light rail or buses in the downtown area

12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is that permanent, or seasonal discontinuation?

13. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Temporarily permanent would be the best way to describe it. They may bring it back if it negatively impacts tourism dollars. It is getting mixed reviews at the moment. The busses were paid for by people riding in and out of the city. Not a lot of people can afford to live in the downtown core anymore, and if they do, they dont ride busses.

14. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like "temporarily permanent". It's not popular, especially with my social group that uses it to get around downtown so much. I think they are trying to boost revenue.

15. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back to the original question, I wouldn't imagine it to be too scary since the Airport is an end terminal, the only people that should be on it should be people coming from the airport. Not a whole lot of jet-set street thugs, I'd think.

16. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It makes many stops between the airport and downtown, in some not so great neighborhoods, with people getting on to go downtown. That said, I have never felt unsafe on it, where on the old bus system, I have.

17. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My (underinformed) bad. I was under the impression that there weren't much of any stops till closer to his destination. I probably should have actually looked it up.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.