1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Any furniture repair or leather experts out there?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Jerseyguy2, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A long shot but,my overstuffed leather chair has a rip on the arm parrallel with the stiching right next to it. About 4 inches long. Any clue how to fix it?

2. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stitch (if the leather is still viable - it probably ripped because it was worn?) or patch. Of course, both will be visible. It might be possible for an expert to stitch so it looks like the existing stitching, but I'm just making a guess because I haven't seen your chair.

3. S'AllGoodMan

S'AllGoodMan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A patch may do the trick. It goes under the leather and fuses the leather back together. I would call a shoe repair place and ask them. Ours fixes all leather products. Good luck.

4. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for your ideas

When you say a patch ,you mean something that slips under the leather and adheres to it? The only thing I'm thinking is that theres no firm surface to support this to get a tight bonding,in other words the chair is just filled with stuffing which just gives way when you press on it. Shoe repair is almost a lost art,I'll check and see if there's any around here.This is MY chair and she's threatening to replace the chair and ottoman with a recliner. I hate recliners !!

5. MWJ51102

MWJ51102 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Take it to an automotive trim shop. They repair leather seats all the time. I had a rip in the leather on my wife's car. They fixed it for around $100 and you can't tell it was ever ripped. They can perfectly match the leather.

6. S'AllGoodMan

S'AllGoodMan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the car repair is a great idea.

The patch goes under the leather and you use an iron and a cloth ton heat the patch to bond the leather back together. I've used it on a jacket and it worked pretty good.

Good luck with it.

Beth

7. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Joe and Beth

The auto seat repair shop isnt going to work because this chair is too big to haul for me and it's 10 years old ,and and I dont love it $100 worth.

I'm going to check out that heat patch idea if anyone around here sells them.

Sad thing is a friend (from local bar)) who does boat covers etc. came over ,looked at it and never got back in touch after he said he could sew it. I even took him to the club for drinks and appys after. He's supposedly got a lot going on so maybe I'll take a ride down to his place and see if I can entice him over here with more drinks and wings.

8. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just finished using a leather repair kit

$12 at Walmart on line.
    I'll see how it looks after it drys ,I may have to try again tomorrow .
    You have to mix colors until you get something that looks similar then apply trying not to get this goo all over. I used a damp paper towell to wipe off the excess and jammed a kitchen chair up against the arm to try and keep the tear together while drying.
    I know this is really exciting stuff ,but its raining here and I have the Mrs. gone out so it's the perfect time to do it.
    Take care of your favorite chair guys,this could happen to YOU!!

9. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used that sort of patch to fix a cigarette burn (not ours....) in our old golf cart. It worked to fill in the hole but never looked very good. Hope your chair turns out ok.

If not, time to make up antimacassars

10. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Hoya

It's not a perfect job,but it looks better and hopefully it wont tear anymore.

11. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :thumbsup: The links we go to for our favorite things:peace:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.