1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

This Is Why I Continue To Love Southwest

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by VegasGroove, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Count me in the love category. No baggage fees, no flight change fees etc.
    With everybody else charging baggage fees, this is the best promotion they have. I just hope they stick to it. Some of revenue numbers that other airlines make from baggage fees are staggering.

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-airlines-profit-20120925,0,4684199.story

Delta Air Lines led all carriers in baggage fee revenues, with $231 million, followed by United Airlines with $195 million. Delta also collected the most in reservation change fees, with $201 million, followed by United with $175 million, according to the report.

Airlines are not required to report separately other fees they collect, such as charges for wireless Internet, food, drinks and seat upgrades.

3. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was a pleasure when I flew Southwest for the first time to find an airline where the employees actually liked their jobs and interacting with the passengers. I also happen to like the 737's that they fly. Their flights were more economical and most departed on time and arrived early with quick baggage retrieval. I also found their scheduled flights convenient for me. Changing planes at smaller airports seemed more comfortable too.

I was thrilled when they instituted a nonstop flight to LV but it has been discontinued for most of the year. Other airlines compete with their prices.......until you figure in the cost of bags! And then the advantage of no charge flight changes, or rebooking if the price drops. I love SWA too!!

Jimbo338

4. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Until they start flying non stop from MSP to LAS, I won't fly them. I don't care how cheap the fare is, I will never, ever take a flight that turns a 3 hour flight into a 6 and a half hour ordeal. For the extra $50 or so roundtrip, I'd rather go non stop. I do hear great things about SW, however.

5. PokerrNutt

PokerrNutt High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I absolutely love flying SWA - reasonable fares, no baggage fees, no change fees - and, to top it all off - the flight attendants do NOT make you feel like you're taking up their personal airspace! They are so nice, cordial, and friendly! Incredible difference between SWA and those other ones!

6. CosmoM

CosmoM Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can see why people like Southwest, I used to like them, but currently not so much. I stopped looking for deals from them quite a while ago - I consistently found better deals elsewhere. And I usually carry on my luggage, so checked bag fees aren't entered in my calculations.

Besides, Southwest charged me $50 to reschedule a flight after flights were grounded during 9/11, very patriotic they are.

I don't fly Spirit either and I mentally add their fees to whatever fare is quoted from an Online Travel Agency (kayak, etc), to see that they don't offer great deals. Kind of how hotels now charge resort fees - a bit sneaky.

Currently I'm trying for Star Alliance Gold status, which has as one benefit exemption from baggage fees for flights on alliance airlines - 27 members including United, US Air, and Air Canada.

Flying from So Cal to LAS costs around 30 cents per mile, and driving costs about 16 cents per mile, so I hit the road.

I guess I'm always looking for a deal.

Cheers

7. GNH2000

GNH2000 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like Southwest too-- their seats stay bolted to the floor! ;)

8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As usual (and most of the public) does not get the story totally straight.

"Passengers who are members of Spirit's $9 Fare Club will be charged $25 for a carry-on bag. Other passengers who pay the fee online will be charged $35 online, $40 over the phone, $50 at the airport ticket counter, and $100 if they get all the way to the gate before declaring their carry-on"

But, I do like SW - prices, service, employees, etc.

We fly them and Delta. Since we flight alot,we have a DL credit card. No bag fees.

9. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew out of msp this year twice and would do it again in a heartbeat, if you plan it right you can get the time down to 4.5 - 5 hours. Flying through denver is obviously the best way, I found it was kind of nice to only have flights of about an hour and a half, I've really been getting tired of the 3+ hour flights with delta.

Everything is better with southwest, from boarding to drink service, to the luggage obviously.

10. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bottom line: Spirit charges for bags - Southwest doesn't. And I love Southwest for it.

That was the point.

11. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL, I was just thinking that. I also remember that decades ago I was on an old America West plane where one row of seats WAS loose, but did not come un-glued.

Southwest is my favorite airline to fly, now that Midwest Express merged with Frontier (I think?) and dropped the two-across seating in coach. Even with the cattle-call seating I think I enjoy flying Southwest the best now.

12. texdan17

texdan17 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to despise SW...didn't like the cattle call and thought the planes looked "cheap" and therefore scarier. Then I couldn't resist a $39 o/w fare to NOLA that came in under a hundy r/t. That flight changed my mind. The crew was all 40-something males that were very much not the uptight ladies or gentlemen of other airlines. Their customer service was TOP NOTCH. Funny. Personable. Quick. Concerned. SW does the cross-train thing where you split your hours on ground and in the air so I think that helps break up the monotony of the job. I would hate to deal with angry people all day at a counter...

That and they have the cheapest Vegas flights by far from Houston...so we ultimately like money the most. ...well, and bolted down seats. :)

13. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SWA flies only Boeing 737 airplanes. Thus I fly them whenever I can. :)

14. djegators

djegators Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with all the above love for SWA. I don't like that they never seem to have Tampa to LV on sale, ever, but they don't nickle and dime you, and they have the only direct flights, and those flights are at the best times.

15. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    my SWA trip in August to Vegas ran about 4 hours including a stop in Denver, we were early on both legs

I still don't like their boarding process, which always includes waiting in line twice. On my connecting flight I barely had time to go to the bathroom and buy a sandwich. Rush over to the A line, wait, then walk down the jetway and wait again. Still prefer traditional boarding as I like waiting for everyone to finish hassling with the carry on baggage fiasco before I board.

Did like the new 737 aircraft.

16. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate SW seating and that you have to either pay the upcharge for early boarding (which is a nickel and dime thing) or try to get online at exactly 24 hours out, which I'm never going to remember to do.

Of course I get free baggage with most of the other airlines, so my incentive is lower to go with southwest.

17. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you think they are cheap out of Houston you should check out their Dallas fares to Vegas! I seriously considered driving to Dallas and flying from there for one of my trips because even after factoring gas and parking I still saved money.

Count me as a Southwest lover. As a consumer the one thing I hate the most is being nickel & dimed to death! Every freaking service entity we deal with has jumped on that bandwagon and I give southwest SO MUCH credit for not doing so. Just tell me how much it’s going to cost, period!

The only better flying experiences I've had than southwest was Continental (First Class) and Private (Company Jet). If I had the spare money to throw around I might pay for one of those two over southwest but as long as I'm a budget conscious consumer I'm a fan.

18. texdan17

texdan17 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's funny...at least relative to my recent post to FB friends asking which was worse, the drive from Houston to San Antonio or Houston to Dallas? Dallas won unanimously. Maybe if I lived in like The Woodlands it would seem closer?

I could, however, see adding a night at Winstar before and after to ease the travel pain if we decided to fly out of Dallas.

19. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That first line can be rather short. I know some people get in line WAY early. Sometimes 20-30 minutes before they start the process. We tend to wait until they about ready to board before getting in line. After all, we all have numbers.

I do hate the line in the jetway - that seems problematic. Sadly, SW can not figure out how to get morons to get onboard, step out the aisle and sit their butts down any quicker.

20. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I totally agree! The drive from Houston to Dallas is horrible for those of us who live in the burbs near JSC. It's so much easier to take BW8, hop on I-10 and make a quick stop at Buc-ee's and presto! You're in San Antonio.

Yes, I think a night or two at Winstar might ease that commute.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.