1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Monday Night Football ~ GB & Seattle

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by booker, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a Seattle fan. I am embarrassed. It wasn't football, it was Bingo. Sad. Sad. Sad.

2. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It finally happened, these refs cost a team the game. It's time for Goodell to bend over and take it like a man from the union. You know their price just went up.

Solo
  3. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

Well said--The Pack had it won till that blown call(s)

4. Reed

Reed High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Couldn't you picture some of the actual refs high-fiving each other after the end of that game? I mean the Packers on MNF and they lost on a couple blown calls at the end of the game? That could not have worked out any better for them. They got Goodell by the jewels now.

5. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The O Line for the Packers shouldn't have waited to show up until the second half. Don't blame everything in the Packers loss on the zebras, they shot themselves in the foot. Rodgers was on his back more in the first half then Heidi Fleiss in 1990

6. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The worst significant call in the history of the NFL.

The referees are asking for too much compensation.

The NFL is between a rock and hard place.

Overcompensate the referees.

or

Have their product suffer.

I have no idea why the call was not overturned by the replay official.

7. golfnut

golfnut Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never ref'd a game ever in my life. So we're do I apply to ref in the NFL. Because I can't be any worse then they have now.

8. PopsOLA

PopsOLA Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Overcompensating? I don't know the details but from I understand they just want the ability to NOT be replaced and have job security. NFL wants to have backup refs to replace at will. This is similar to your boss allowing you to work with a new guy that sucks ass and expecting you to help him along, just so he can replace you in the future. Hell no you aren't going to agree to that.

Bottom line, the NFL owners are idiots, but NO ONE will stop watching and they will lose $0. This may actually make them more money as people will tune in just to see how bad the officials are. Drama sells. They will have the officials back by playoffs for sure, but regular season is a wash and no one in the NFL Office cars because the money will keep rolling in.

9. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I will say this.

Maybe the refs are more skilled and more valuable than the league realized.

10. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    JW ....

My first thought was that overturning that call would have caused a mass riot in Seattle ... but that is really baseless.

The more definite reason is once a call is made on the field, the replay officials must have "indisputable" evidence to overturn it. A "simultaneous" catch will always go to the offense, but this was more of a defensive catch, with a then split-second grab by Tate of Seattle. The replay official(s) must have had a very difficult time on the replay films, splitting hairs on whether the defensive catch had clear possession, or therefore was almost simutaneous. If the evidence is not 100% clear-cut, the call must stand.

11. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or not allow 8 sacks in the first half because McCarthy forgot that a competent running back got on the plane in Wisconsin.

Or Aaron Rodgers not overthrowing Donald Driver and forcing a field goal.

Or not taking the 1PAT, which would have allowed the Packers to take a safety and then take a proper free kick from the 20 yard line and making the Seahawks drive 70 yards for a TD instead of 45.

It was a completely *** call :grrr: but the Packers had all sorts of opportunities to NOT let it come down to that call.

Now with all that said, the Packers will be in rare form to lay an apocalyptic smack-down on the Saints this weekend, as I watch from Rum Runners on Tropicana, with them glorious 1/2# burgers and 24 oz PBRs for $3! :woohoo:

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  12. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Experts are estimating a $150-$250 million swing on the bets, as the Packers were favored by 3.5 and would've covered. I'm one of the folks who benefited from the call, as we had the under in the first half and Seattle -3.5 on a 2 team parlay, but WOW... I just don't know how they can make that call????

13. Reed

Reed High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since it is very hard to reverse a call that close once it is made, the officials should have took a moment to talk before signaling on the last play. Just an unbelievable last quarter to that game with the all the penalties and reviews.

14. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There was pass interference by the wide receiver Tate #81 on #37
    before the ball arrived.

Even it was a simultaneous catch, it should be a penalty on the offense.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_69zsC08cxg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. mjamesp

mjamesp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Based on the rules that ESPN quoted the replay official isn't able to rule on the simultaneous catch issue and can only review if a legal, in-bounds catch had been made. The ruling on the field as to who made the catch has to stand "as is".

The head official couldn't change the call upon review.

16. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

i hear it all over the Sports talk radio.
    "Get the old refs back in !"
    I laugh !:evillaugh
    Cos it's the same callers + hosts who complain
    about officiating in any past years !
    The old refs get back in ---
    and it'll be tha same story !:rolleyes2:
    "They blew that call and ruined the game !"
    ......and I lost my bet.:evillaugh

17. djen

djen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

When has pass interference ever been called on one of these jump ball plays?

Was the correct call made in the Sea-GB game on the final play, probably not. The officials should have gathered and discussed the play prior to making the call, and possibly gotten it right.

Is this the first blown call by an NFL official, replacement or otherwise. No.
    -Does anyone remember the overtime coin toss in Detroit.
    -Ed Hochuli causing San Diego the playoffs.
    Both these calls affected the outcome of the games because of officials mistakes.

The replacement officials are not as good as the regular officials but we tend to have forgotten rather quickly the regular officials are far from perfect as their own history reflects.

18. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Officials

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AzPBcCF9yKc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Finally happened? No, just more evident. I'd argue that bad calls over three weeks cost at least one team a victory. The problem is, you can't point to a blown third down call in the first quarter of a game and argue that it cost a team a game, because you can't see it. But if the call isn't blown, the offense doesn't punt, but instead gets a new set of downs. The offense scores a touchdown and the outcome is changed forever. Team A wins, instead of loses.

The fact that it happened on the last play of the game will force the NFL to end the labor dispute, no doubt. I disagree that it "finally happened."

The real refs blow calls that cost teams games, too, by the way. But yeah, it would nice to see competent NFL refs instead of incompetent refs.

20. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not the worst significant call in the history of the NFL. I heard several examples of bad calls that cost teams a win in the playoffs. Those are worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.