1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Drought caused some strange things

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had a prolonged drought here most of the summer. Nothing like Texas, but still...

No apples on any of our trees.

I've also got a few black walnut trees in the back of our lot and nothing there either. Leaves already changing and falling on both.

2. Film-Noir

Film-Noir High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Drought

Feel ya Joe

It's been bad here in Texas for the past 5 Years, this year's spring was wetter than average, Finally it started raining a little.

We have lost dozens of 50-100+ yr old Oaks.

Last year was topped off by the Texas Wildfires.

Sad to see crops dying, and Cows barely eating dirt, as many places the grass has all but died.

Hoping for rain, or a Mild El~Nino to come back.

3. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same boat here in Oklahoma as Noir is down in Texas unfortunately, with the drought and weeks of 105-114 temps, and back to 104 the last two days here, the grazing and crop lands are pitiful. We spent the weekend out West for Dove season opener and if the land was not irrigated you could well call it a desert as bad as last year to be sure, luckily for the ranchers we did get abundant rain in the early season and unlike last year we do not have the hay shortage but for the hog farms the silage they buy from the corn and milo farmers is once again at a near record low in volume. NEED SOME RAIN!!!!!!

4. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to hear first hand about this drought.

I see the pics on the nightly news and it's just a shame. It's been raining cats and dogs here the last two days and nights on and off and probably tomorrow and maybe part of thursday. Mostly the remnants of Isaac .I just wish it had gone where it was needed. Good Luck'between the crops,the animals and the fires I know theres a lot of people hurting out west not to mention the poor folks down in the gulf region.

5. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lots of crop insurance claims this year!

Easter again..:
  6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know how odd our weather seems to the people who prefer moss doesn't grow between their toes, but in Seattle, we are on our 44th day without rain. I keep thinking the streak will end and I won't have to drag out the hose and water the backyard. All my hydrangeas and rhodies are drooping.

I know it's nothing compared to the rest of the country, but it's a major event here. We don't know what to do without our natural sprinkler systems in our yards. :)

7. DingleBarry

DingleBarry Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My aunt and uncle have a Christmas tree farm near Beloit WI. The drought has hit them bad this year--none of this years plantings survived. :cry:

8. technolight

technolight Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please take as much rain as you want from Scotland, in fact do you want me to take some over the pond on sunday.

Out of the last 91 days it has rained for 62 of them we are sick of the stuff.

9. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your days of rain vs no rain equals up pretty close to our days of 100+deg vs non 100+deg days.

10. technolight

technolight Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  11. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No apples on my trees in Ohio either.

12. HM7

HM7 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I lost all 3 of my apple trees and 3 other trees here in central OK last year.
    All were over 25 years old.

13. Uncle Steve

Uncle Steve Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Much of our spring crops have died. We will harvest some . We also have some feed to harvest on irrigated land. We usually use river water and pumped water to irrigate. No river water to use this year.

We sold our cow herd down quite a bit. Been feeding some supplemental feed for 2 months now.

Hoping for rain so we can plant wheat soon. If we can't get wheat planted it might be a long winter with land blowing.

14. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Over 15 inches in last 4days

Wife saw on NY News the other night ,Barnegat NJ(nearby town) mind boggling 15 inches .The only good thing is that most of this area sits on sand so unless you live right on the bay or one of the rivers the water just goes into the ground.

15. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Environmentalists predict that both droughts and floods will increase in intensity as climate change continues to affect the weather patterns.

http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/photos/climate-change/
    Meanwhile, water is a key factor in the new industry of hydrofracting. It seems whether or not the practice pollutes ground water, it clearly depletes the water that farmers have habitually used to water crops, and they really don't have the money to compete with the hydrofracting industries' capital. In a drought we can expect to get more gas and less food.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/06/us/struggle-for-water-in-colorado-with-rise-in-fracking.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper

16. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very interesting, thanks Dewey.:thumbsup:

17. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We live in far NW Houston area and the drought last year caused the entire county to lose 1/3 of the total trees. As was said, we've lost 50-100 year old oak trees on our property. While this year has been back to "normal" rainfall, we are still losing trees. It is not unusual to see whole limbs just fall to the ground which is just the start of the death of the tree. Even if you get back to normal on your rainfall, don't be surprised that the effects of this years' drought continue on.

18. CinnamintStick

CinnamintStick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have about 60 apple trees, peach, pomegranate, walnuts, almonds, pears and cherries. We live in the high desert. They are not producing. Most of the fruit dropped off early and many are still to young to fruit. I have not lost many of the fruit trees but I have had many 100 foot trees break in half. I think there are just too stressed. My water bill has been $550 a month just to keep the fruit trees alive. We never get enough rain to not water year around. Winter is when I have lost the most. I just don't think they need it when they do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.