1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Took my old senior dog to the Vets and...

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by LucyR., Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The old Vet has known about my doggie having a Kidney problem. When I first found out about it the old Vet that had seen my doggie didn't make a big deal out of it. So I thought my doggie was okay at that time. That Vet should have informed me to put my doggie on a special diet and special suppliments. Stupid me didn't realize how serious the kidney problem was and how to take better care of her needs.

This new Vet put her on a special diet. They gave me three different types of canned food. My doggie is not a chow hound so she doesn't want to eat it.

I have read on some websites on what foods she should be eating.
    So now I have to cook her special diet foods.

Does anybody have any special recipes? I have to have the food blended
    baby style because I am feeding my doggie by hand. She licks the food off my fingers.... otherwise she will not eat. She is only 11pounds and I get happy if she eats a little bit at a time. She is still drinking some water.
    She has gotten super weak and just sleeps most of the time.
    I am worried and sad about her situation but I knew her time was coming because she is old with other medical problems. Lucy

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  2. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you just tried baby food. I'm sorry for what you are going through. I know how hard it is watching our beloved animal friends get old. When my Baxter was old, I would literally offer him a buffet of everything just to get him to eat :(

3. Lucky55

Lucky55 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to hear about your dog. Does she have kidney failure, kidney infection?

We went through this with a middle aged dog that had kidney failure and had to give IV fluids for 2 years before she finally passed away.

We gave our dog baby food and a special canned dog food for dogs with kidney problems.

Ask your vet if IV fluids would help, it did with our dog, we just had to keep giving more and more. Hope it works out.

4. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When my last dog was a puppy we had all kinds of problems getting her to eat due to a genetic problem. We went the baby food route.

I had another friend who made her food for her dogs. She would put 2-3 chicken breasts and a can of chicken broth into the slow cooker all day. In the evening, she'd add a bag of peas & carrots & some rice. Then she'd shred up the chicken and mix it all together and put it in small containers. She'd stack them in the freezer and take out one every other day.

I would be sure to ask more specifics from your vet about what your dog can and can't eat. There are kidney specific diets, like Science Diet KD, that might be better for your dog.

5. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vets don't like to tell people their dog is dying

I have been giving my doggie baby food chicken and beef. The Vet did give me some canned special food for kidney problems but my dog will not eat
    it or the baby food. She doesn't want to eat anymore.

I feed her by using my fingers to rub the baby food into her mouth. She will only eat a few bites and then she walks away from me.

I don't want to extend her life if my doggie feels like it is her time to go.
    I can see it in my doggie's eyes that she wants to die. I have had my doggie
    for 14yrs and we have always been able to communicate. I don't think she
    wants to live in a body that nolonger gives her the joy of life.

I am making her as comfortable as possible until it is her time to go which
    means I may have to take her to the Vets soon.

6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sorry, Lucy. I know it's a tough decision, but I think her message is pretty clear.

7. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am really sorry to hear this.

Your doggie is counting on you to know when the right time is. You have to keep her suffering to what she can handle, and then she will tell you it is time. It sounds like that time is coming soon but she will love you when she is free of pain and can run again in the next place. And she'll be there waiting for you too.

8. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you all for your kind words

I believe in the spirit world that we never die but go to another place in spirit. I plan to ask my brother who is in the spirit world to come and take
    my doggie with him. My doggie loved him very much.
    I also plan to keep my doggie's beds and things around my condo for a month because I know my doggie will come back to visit me spiritually.
    She will see that I still have all of her things there.
    I plan to talk with a pet psychic this coming Saturday about my doggie.
    Last year a pet psychic said it was okay to help my doggie by taking her to the VET to help her move on to the spirit world. She said my doggie approved it. So I am getting psychologically prepared. I will mourn the
    loss of my doggie but happy that she will be at peace and no more pain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.