1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

High Limit - Top Shelf drinks

Discussion in 'Comps' started by craps1, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craps1

craps1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's the best top shelf someone has been comped at a property? Anyone comp Macellan 18 or 25 or even Patron platinum?

2. Tellafriend

Tellafriend MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A $7200 bottle of screaming eagle at aria.

3. craps1

craps1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really? What I meant was while playing...I'm assuming this was at dinner?

4. Tellafriend

Tellafriend MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually it was brought to a hl table along with a $2k bottle of champaign-cristal(sp?). It was a blush champaign so I drank that w strawberries some hot cw fed me,.no shit, and room the wine to my room but would have preferred the cw!
    They can bring anything to your table and as shifter says, it can all be comped depending on your level of play.

5. JillyFromPhilly

JillyFromPhilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never had a problem getting a single-malt in HL, assuming they had it [and by had it, I mean anywhere on the property] - at Aria, I had seen they had Ardbeg Uigeadail on the menu at American Fish, asked for it later that night at the tables while playing in Carta Privada, and they sent someone down to the restaurant and brought a few bottles back so it would be available the rest of my trip if I wanted it. Last time at Palazzo, I was able to get [pretty rare] Lagavulin 21 at the tables as well.

Obviously, I'm into Islays, LOL

6. Goosey

Goosey Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pretty much anything, if available, can be comped. It just depends on how it's comped. It can be free (won't cost you anything), comped by the pit boss (it just gets taken out of your comps for that session), or charged to your room (and comped by your host).

At my play, $200-400 a bet, I've been comped Macallan 18 and Blue Label after playing for a while, but I never asked for anything better and I usually don't ask until I've played for a while and know that I can have it comped no problem. I did run into a pit boss who didn't know that Blue Label can be comped. I guess he just knew how to comp smokes.

7. samsadan

samsadan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do not drink that much during play but like to bring back 1-2 bottles of good whiskey as a present to friends who drink. Macallan 25 and 30, Royal Salute 38, Yamazaki 25 are favored by my friends so I ask my host and get 1-2 bottle per trip.
    As far as being served at the table, I once in a while ask for a single shot of those at the table or high limit slot area and do get it w/o any question or delay. Last year, I saw Macalan 50 at Prive in Bellagio and asked for a double shot and got it. However, I do not have the taste bud to tell whether it is indeed 50 or 30 yr.

In my June trip, however, the Belagio folks in Prive were charging the high end liquor to your express comps stating that their policy changed. I was betting $2,000 -$5,000 two hands on BJ and the pit boss was very apologetic...Since I was asking the drink for fun and was sitting on too much express comp (I still did not figure where and how to burn those...), I really did not bother. But the same night at the high limit slot area, the CW brought a single shot of Macallan 30 free.

As such, I have no clue on how they draw the line on what is high-end liquor and when to charge against your express comps or give it out free.

8. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is going to be a fascinating thread!

Indeed as evidenced already if you are playing high enough anything and everything can and will be brought to your table.

I think, though, what the OP really means to ask is what is ROUTINELY brought to HL players without pit boss approval/express comp invasion etc.

As a very general rule of thumb, the high end places will routinely bring you up to about what they would charge $35-40/shot at the bar. Macallan 18 no problem. For years, the policy at the B and the Mirage was they would serve you Silver Oak by the glass at the tables if you were playing $100/hand. Want JW blue? This is probably an issue, and the CW will have to get approval from someone.

You have most leeway when playing in the HL room anywhere, and at the top tier places in town, they can provide anything you can think of. If you are playing HL in a mid tier joint, you will start to run into problems with availability of super expensive liquors.

9. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Macallan 18 is definitely reasonable to expect at even the lowest level play in the HL room. And a very nice choice, I might add. Don't know about JW Blue, because I don't drink blends when a single malt is available.

10. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i got a pbr in a can at the plaza.

11. aliasyoshi

aliasyoshi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Winning! :beer:

12. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Next time I'm in a high limit room I'm asking for a PBR.

13. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Patron Platinum all the time at Monte Carlo HL room. I have even been served Patron Platinum on the regular floor but the CW and Pitt Boss know me.

14. wrxrob

wrxrob High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    anything from Red Bull and Grey Goose at the Las Vegas Club playing nickel VP, to being denied a miller light while playing $1 VP in another HL room because I didn't bet max coin at the time.

Your mileage can and will vary.

15. Goosey

Goosey Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep. Macallan 18 does require a pit boss comp, at least at the HL rooms I've played in. I like JW Blue, but it's overpriced everywhere including the HL room. :cheers:

One question, and I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here, what would be a reasonable tip for the CW in a HL room. Does it matter if it's for a $$$ comped drink?

16. craps1

craps1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At least $5 for a good top shelf liquer would be a sufficient comp.

17. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is absolutely true at MC. I get served whatever I ask for pretty much anywhere for the same reasons -- the pit boss' and CWs know me.

The pit boss absolutely has to sign off on Macallan 18, but it was an automatic kind of thing where the CW brought the drink, then handed him the slip to sign.

18. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Was the Lagavulin 21 significantly better than their 12 or 16 yr options? Lagavulin 16 is one of my favorite reasonably priced Islays.

19. JillyFromPhilly

JillyFromPhilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perhaps the best Islay I've ever had - incredibly complex, bringing in a lot of notes not normally found in an Islay, yet somehow managing not to lose any of its Islay-ness - and with one of the longest finishes I think I've ever had on a Scotch. Stayed on my lips and my mind long after I got back to Aria from Palazzo. I can only hope they still have some left on my upcoming trip - it's extremely rare, I think only something around six or seven thousand bottles were released, and that was several years ago already.

20. GolferTrav

GolferTrav High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was getting Macallan 18 on the main floor of Cosmo when I was playing there. All it required from the CW or Pit was the name/card of my host. [EDIT] I was Platinum at the time too, so between that, my average bet and my host, I'm sure that played a part.[/EDIT]

I do recall, however, a day where the wife was with me and wanted to get a drink at the bar. I ordered a double without thinking and they charged me nearly $100. It went on the room and got comp'd off, but...

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.