1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

TSA at it again

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Joe, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All I can say is OY!
    A video clip shot yesterday at Columbus Ohio Airport illustrates how the Transportation Security Administration has dreamed up a bizarre new way to waste time and taxpayer dollars -- by testing drinks purchased by travelers for explosives inside the airport long after they have already passed security.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PJWHo1teFQc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.presstv.ir/usdetail/259714.html

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh brother!!!! I can only sumise, and I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, that they've received "credible evidence" about the potential for mixing-up something post security and therefore, this new procedure, as annoying as it may be.

3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    all i can say to that is ... lol

4. POPO2012

POPO2012 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh no your giving them way to much credit. This is my home airport. Look at who the are testing. What a bunch of clowns. Walking around not wanting to offend anyone. Yeah that first couple sure looks like the shoe bomber or the underwear bomber. I think I saw a guy in the background run by draped in TNT carrying a match.

5. Ross11988

Ross11988 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't see a problem here. They are just trying to protect us again terrorism. Terrorism is a horrible thing, it kills so many people a year. It is only dwarfed by alcohol poising, cancer, heart disease, prescription overdose, oh and my favorite BEE STINGS!!!!

6. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a friend that works at our local airport in the maintence department......here is what most none TSA employees refer them as:

Thousands
    Standing
    Around

7. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the worst part to me is many TSA agents look barely qualified to be a walmart shopper much less important front line law enforcement

and at some point and time one would think that some of these agents would get some of these "instructions" and just quit because they realize their job has become just stupid....the fact that they don't do that makes me question them as individuals even more

I mean really if you can be a TSA agent surely you can be a regular cop and just about every city on earth is hiring for regular cops (my city has signs on the medians on major roads saying they are hiring)....who wouldn't leave and go get one of those jobs and get your dignity back as well VS groping old women and sniffing kids shoes

8. LuckyDuckyDan

LuckyDuckyDan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of them aren't. And most of them couldn't qualify to be a regular cop in their wildest dreams.

Air Safety on the Cheap - Village Voice

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Average TSA employee wage is $14 per hour. Better than the $8 per hour guy in your article post, but still, $14 per hr is $29,000 annually.

I don't know if TSA get health insurance? Anybody know?

10. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After seeing the video I'm pissed. I don't want their nasty hands and gloves anywhere near my drink.

11. LuckyDuckyDan

LuckyDuckyDan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mean or median? I don't know where you got that figure from, but I'm willing to bet (Vegas board.. bet.. get it? :beer:) that includes tenured or management people that bring up the average. It's well known that in the airports managed by the firm referenced in the article that anybody who can pass the test and is willing to work for minimum wage can become an Agent.

As most are deliberately kept under the number of hours that would require offering insurance, they do not qualify for private insurance. Not that they could afford it on (near-)minimum wage, anyway.

12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/TSA-Salaries-E41347.htm

13. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No politics please.

14. martinr

martinr Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's the point?

If they are testing drinks purchased in the "secure" area of the terminal, shouldn't they be testing the sources of the drinks instead? I would be truly pissed if nobdy from TSA was at the McDonalds, Cinnabon, etc. with some sort of testing rather than randomly going after the cups that are usually clearly marked as to where they came from. What if there were passengers milling about and they had already tested their drinks? Have they identified those cups as already tested so they don't annoy the same people twice? Maybe they put a sticker on the cup with a smiley face if it's "passed" their inspection.

This is the most pointless action I have seen yet. The theatrics are almost funny. What next, a wiener scope to see if a hot dog has been tampered with? They're not touching my wiener!

First Time Staying on the South End. Will I Hear Southern Accents?
  15. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We saw a story about this on the news last night that said that they want to screen to be sure that an employee isn't smuggling in something. Um.. why not just screen the airport employees?

I know I am baffled by business decisions on a regular basis, but I can't understand why one group gets an extra scan because you can't bother to check your own employees.

16. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My friend says all employees are scanned every time they come to work....he's not even allowed to park on airport property, they are shuttled in from a outside parking area.......HOWEVER, he did say he has seen that UPS deliveries are not scanned properly or sometimes NOT at all....go figure.

17. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks alot, Richard Reid.

18. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sadly, 99% of what TSA does is for show. 9/11 happened because of our POLICY to allow bad guys to do whatever they want. NOT because of security.

If you want to read more, and pretty much think about shooting yourself, go to www.flyertalk.com

What you will read about our insanity is upsetting.

Not politics, but just stupid.....

19. Smo

Smo Mr. Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Next thing they test for explosives will be my club sandwich from Paradise Bakery. :poke:
    Where does it end!?!?

20. Uncle Steve

Uncle Steve Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    TSA is the main reason we drive so many places rather than flying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.