1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SWA....Holy Crap...Prices are SKY HIGH

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Username, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We just returned from Vegas.....just a 3 day stay.....from Mon and returned very late on Thurs, really Friday morning....and BTW we had a 2.75 hour delay out of Vegas...

But that's not what's bothering me.......we got real good prices to and from Vegas for this August trip......If I remember correctly it was $149 each to Vegas and I believe only $139 from Vegas to home.....so it was a total cost of only $575 from the east coast...very fair price IMHO

BUT I JUST LOOK NOW for our March 31st to April 5th trip for next spring.....$248 EACH to Vegas and $287 EACH from Vegas to home....for a toatal cost of $1070.00

That's almost double of what we just paid.....:grrr:

2. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You would think with the new seats to add more passengers it would be going down. Is it spring break time? That is always a factor. I am not a SWA fan for longer flights so book as far in advance as possible for good deals on other airlines. I got a first class RT on Delta from the East coast for 800. If you factor in the free food, booze, movies and comfort it is well worth it. I even got the flight times I wanted at that price - no red eyes. SW isn't always the best bargain.

3. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    sw does seem high at the moment. I'm looking at next march from tampa and its 470 return - but they are the only ones doing direct...

I can get it cheaper with other airlines but the flight home would mean a stupid early leaving time or an overnght - neither of which appeal to me.

4. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just double checked using SWA monthly calendar rate chart........and believe it or not $248 EACH is the VERY cheapest rate to and from Vegas....but we like non-stop so we will be taking that $287 flight home but this time a earlier flight home...getting home after 3am sucks.

I guess I'm glad we had so much time to kill in the Vegas airport Thursday that I signed up for their SWA Credit Card and should be able to get 2 free tickets with the 50,000 points PLUS our points we have collected recently from flights.

5. westie

westie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked round trip from Hartford on August 30th for 3/20-4/10/2013 for $333.60 including early bird check-in. You may want to keep checking because I suspect the current rate will be lower the next time SWA has a sale.

6. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be an optomist and be happy that you went in August. Now, for March, book early and check often......the SWA battle plan!

Jimbo338

7. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol of course you would think $575 for 2 tickets was a "very fair price" from the east coast. but that's not just a fair price, that's an utter steal. $400 per ticket is more common and $500 isn't that unusual, although a tad high. i would just wait it out since it's still so early and hope prices go down.

8. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Except on rare occasions, the days of inexpensive SWA tickets are over.

9. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am getting upset with them because they keep changing their schedule.
    There have been three or four non-stops from Austin to Vegas for just about ever. But now they are down to just two a day.
    The thing that is strange is that the flights are just about always totally full.
    So strange.

10. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a feeling they are still having growing pains with the whole AirTran acquisition. I don't know how many of the AT 737's they've switched over already, but I do know they have been adding several former AirTran cities in the past few months. Those planes have to come from somewhere.

As for the original topic, those are probably place holder fares that will start coming down within the month. 6 months is quite a ways out, especially for Southwest.

11. djegators

djegators Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never see them go down from Tampa to Vegas anymore...stuck at $420+ rt.

12. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yo're down to two! We lost our one. It was always full and now it even costs more since you have to pay a tax everytime you land! It was always full as well.....go figure!

Jimbo338

13. larryg

larryg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SW fares tend to violently fluctuate -- at least from Baltimore to Las Vegas. When I first reserved tickets, the cost was $526 round trip. Over the next couple of months, it went down by about one third...then went back up...then went down to just over half the original cost. Final cost: $276 round trip (and I could have gotten it for one dollar less, but I was too lazy to rebook yet again).

14. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's exactly what I first thought........but then I checked EVERY month starting this October thru April 2013 and the cheapest fair was exactly the same...$248 to Vegas and $248 back home......folks, take a look....seems strange the fares don't change any more....at least from my airport to Vegas.....HOWEVER, I did check other airlines using Expedia and Travolicty and SWA is still MUCH better.....especially when you factor in a non stop flight of 4.5 hours compared to a 8-11 hour flight with one or two stops.

15. OKC Gal

OKC Gal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes - I watch the SW flights from OKC to Vegas all the time, and they have been remaining high. They have a very limited 25% off special going today, for some odd dates. They are not making it easy!

16. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Booked our Oct trip back in May and it was $500.20 for two of us total, non-stop from Milwaukee.

I'm one of those people who check prices almost daily to see if I can rebook and get a credit. New prices have not budged for months. $832 for two for same flights.

17. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same here I check OKC to LAS nearly daily and the price has been 195 both ways NS for the last 6 weeks or so. The only fluctuation I have seen a a big jump on a couple of flights, a freind who works for SW told me one time they do that to try and get people on other flights that have higher booking rates.

18. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been watching the prices for weeks ...BDL to LAS...Oct 1-Oct 4....went from $350 to over $500 this afternoon...guess that idea of an extra trip is out now.

19. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tammy,
    There are several of us that like to fly SWA out of Manchester. Maybe we can start our own airline with frequent non-stop flights for cheap!

I have noticed that they change flight prices from airport to airport from time to time but seldom across the board like they did when they enjoyed those fuel futures! If anyone doesn't like then I guess they can still think of them as the lesser of the evils!

Jimbo338

20. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jimbo...we are in North central mass so it is close in time for all 4 BDL, MHT,PVD,BOS....We won't fly out of BOS if you paid US, PVD is the longest, we LOVE MHT but prices have gotten so bad that it has been BDL quite often. They still have the nonstop there until Nov. Prices are better there too. We were able to score a decent price for MHT this past spring...it is our favorite. I have been on the fence about a quickie trip with the MIL...but the price I saw today is a deal breaker. I will continue to watch and if I catch something reasonable will just pounce on it. Their 25% off sale has a cheap MHT flight at the end of this month, but then they want over $300 just to come home. They have dumped so many flights I don't understand where all the people have gone. Bet some are jumping ship to other carriers now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.