1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

VIVA ELVIS final performance

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by sammasseur, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It seems fitting to mention this, considering that it is the very first time a resident Cirque show has failed on the strip. And it seems to be closing with quite a whimper instead of fanfare. A big contrast to the celebrity-filled grand opening blue carpet event in Feb 2010:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/feb/20/elvis-presley-back-emviva-elvisem/

Does this suggest a possible dark future for the Michael Jackson resident Cirque show coming to Mandalay Bay? Considering the touring show received plenty of :Þ and a general overload of MJ nostalgia (slot machines, impersonators, etc.), it's clear that nothing Cirque-related is guaranteed anymore. The only reason Criss Angel continues sickening folks at the Luxor is that 10-year 100 million dollar contract. Still, MJ and Zarkana are coming, bringing the total number of Cirque strip shows to 8.

So, is the closure of VIVA ELVIS a good or bad thing to the future of strip entertainment? Please weigh in.....

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  2. egelston2

egelston2 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Will there be a toilet in the middle of the stage at the end of the show?

3. earth-3

earth-3 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Variety is the spice of life. Might be one too many similar shows.

4. GREGRIO

GREGRIO VIP Whale

Ya know......I didn't dislike VIVA ELVIS. It simply didn't live up
    to what a 'theme' Show like that should have been for me.
    (and obviouly, others too...)
    I'm glad I saw it (3 times) but am looking forward to ZARKANA.
    If I had to bet on the success of either ZARKANA or MJ...I'd
    put my money on ZARKANA. I'm just tired of MJ. His music will
    live on, but everything else is over kill to me.
    And with being into the Shows the way I am, I chose to be at the
    closing night of PHANTOM on Sunday, rather then VIVA's closing.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  5. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just got back from the last show of Viva Elvis. It was spectacular! I'm sort of ashamed to admit I loved it due to all the bad reviews, but I really did love it.

It was my first time seeing Viva Elvis and I'm not sure which acts were the new ones added in earlier this year, but it was fast-paced, exciting, plenty of dangerous-looking acts Cirque is known for, and with great music. There were really only four or five short segments that were kind of boring and pointless (I assume to cover set changes). Everything else was on a scale worthy of a resident Vegas show. The one large-scale act that fell flat for me was Jail House Rock. I was expecting a show full of random-looking high-school style dancing with a few small cirque segments thrown in, but the dancing was really kept to a minimum (and a heck of a lot better than Cirque's normal interpretive dance stuff or the lone character walking around for who knows how long looking for who knows what). Love was just random dancing to me and Viva Elvis felt so much better.

There were lots of show alumni in the audience tonight. And the performers gave it their all. Maybe it was this extra energy that made the show so great, but I really don't see why this show wouldn't sell tickets. I almost feel like the retool did its job, but so much bad press had gone out about the original version that there was no coming back.

The producers were in attendance as well. The company manager, producers, backstage staff, and all the alumni joined the cast on stage for a few thank you speeches. They acknowledged that it was a bumpy ride and that the show closed too soon, but gave their thanks to their partners and all the department leads.

I'm pleasantly surprised with the show. I like it so much more than Love. I dislike Love very much.

Absinthe* > Le Reve* > Mystere > Zumanity > KA > Viva Elvis > O > MJ Immortal arena tour** > Love ≥ Criss Angel Believe

*not a Cirque show, but including it for completeness (so can rate all the "adult circus" type shows together)
    **touring show missing their main set piece (Tree of Life couldn't be loaded into Mandalay Bay arena) that will hopefully get some retooling before it becomes a sit-down Vegas production.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  6. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I for one am pretty disappointed to see it end. I would have loved to see it and we were actually planning to on this next trip until I found out they were giving it the hatchet on 8/31.

We are not huge "show people" so only see 1 show a trip and sometimes none or I'd have looked into it on our June trip but we were already going to see Garth Brooks so I wasn't even thniking about a good show to see.

You'd have thought they might give it more of a chance after re-tooling it but obviously the ticket sales told the story.

Almost seems a little sad for some reason....I mean hey, it's Elvis right?

7. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @ah6tyfour- thank you so much for sharing what happened last night. I was hoping someone from here would go. Awesome write-up.

8. Onlyoneoklahoma

Onlyoneoklahoma Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw it in March and really enjoyed it. Sad to see the show close its' doors.

9. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Snuck a photo during one of the speeches. That whole block of people on stage right were alumni and backstage crew. The ending was bittersweet for everyone involved, but it sure was a happy sendoff. Speeches ended with a "Take us out!", prompting the band to go into their crazy exit music as all the people on stage hugged each other, received flowers from audience/family members, and posed for pictures.

[​IMG]

10. MrSandsman

MrSandsman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sad that an Elvis show couldn't make it in Vegas, but I feel that what was happening on stage never really meshed with the great music. If you shut your eyes during the performance you would really enjoy the show, lol.

11. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it was a good show. Not outstanding, but we enjoyed it.

Anybody think that being stuck back in the (not centered) City Center complex caused some problems?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.