1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hertz buying Dollar Thrifty

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by h_upmann, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. h_upmann

h_upmann Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. Tubbs

Tubbs High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Should that be Hertz? Less competition usually means higher prices! Dollar often seems to be lowest price in Vegas for UK customers, while Hertz (and Avis) are often much more expensive.

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All this time I thought Hertz was the biggest. Remember the old Avis commercials "we're number two & try harder".

I never would have thought Enterprise.:poke:

4. h_upmann

h_upmann Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oops. Corrected subject line.

5. GMS

GMS Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Advantage

A recent search for my next trip revealed Advantage as the price leader, instead of Dollar. Hertz will sell off Advantage as part of this deal.

If they stay in the Vegas market, that might provide a little bit of price pressure. I usually rent a car, even on a 3 day trip, because it is so ridiculously cheap these days (roughly $65 for a three-day weekend, with all the taxes). It is barely more than a round-trip cab to and from the airport.

If that metric changes with less competition, I may have to start planning around using the WAX instead...

6. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess I don't truly understand why anyone would want several different brands under one corporate umbrella, especially when it comes to car rentals.

Enterprise - Enterprise, Alamo, National
    Avis - Avis, Budget
    Hertz - Hertz, Dollar, Thrifty, Advantage (for now)

I can understand buying out a competitor and absorbing them (changing signs, closing rental counters, etc) but to have 2-3 counters with 2-3 separate staffs and 2-3 fueling stations, car washes, check out person, etc makes no sense to me.

7. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    its not always that cheap, at least mine this weekend isn't even close to that

8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmmmm ...

Lately we've been using Advantage both for business and pleasure, in the markets that have Advantage, that is. They almost always beat the price of not only the Hertz/Avis tier but the Budget/Dollar tier as well!

The cars are great (I really never need more than a plain old economy/compact) and they don't push back (like that @$$#0!3 at Dollar did) when you want to use your credit card's insurance.

Plus, at least in Las Vegas, the line is usually shorter than most of the others!

9. smrtmom05

smrtmom05 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are going to be in Vegas on Monday, and I priced about 10 different rental car companies and Hertz was actually teh cheapest for us (a minivan - large group). I have never been a "company loyalty" kind of person, I like to find who is cheapest whenever I travel (3-4 times a year, not much). However, I have found on my last 3 trips that Hertz was the least expensive. I joined (for free) their Gold club, and their customer service is unmatched in rental car companies. I am sad to hear they are buying another company, though.

Competition is ALWAYS a good thing for the consumer.

10. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enterprise is the biggest because every corner has one. Hertz and Avis just started going bigger into suburban markets. Enterprise is also the biggest company (I think in the world) to hire business management grads fresh off campus.

11. smrtmom05

smrtmom05 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enterprise also caters tot he Latin American community and has several programs to help people rent with no credit cards. They also rent to people going over to Mexico and rent trucks (like 18-wheelers). My ex used to work the call center for all of those customers (he's bilingual).

12. h_upmann

h_upmann Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, somebody's gotta wash all those cars.

:banana:

13. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless there is a huge price difference, I only use Alamo in Vegas. They have automated kiosks that spit out your reservation immediately and you walk straight to the car of your choice. These other jokers all make you wait in painfully long lines. The last thing I want to do after a flight is stare at two unhappy agents trying to process a deep line of customers. No thanks. :Þ

14. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am trying this in November, should be interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.