1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SPA Question

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Username, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We booked a couples SPA treatment at MGM for next week.....on our email conformation it says:

MGM Grand Spa
    A 20% service charge will be added to all spa services.

Is this a mandatory tip being added or are we expected to add a tip on top of this 20% ? ? ?

2. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's the tip. Include more if you want, but I rarely do at places where the service charge is included like that.

3. NurseLisa

NurseLisa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WOW, they don't trust that you'll tip them huh! Never seen that at any of the vegas spa's i've been to.

4. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    THANKS

I considered a mandatory tip the way I read it too....I probably would have tip a little bit more, but like you said, in this case I will not.......unless I get the special message.....LOL

5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would say most of the spas in Vegas I've been to have a service charge included:peace: Luxor, GN, Elemis & Mandara at aladdin/ Planet Hollywood.....

Bars, restaurants, room service - lots of places throw on these charges, which is why it's always a good idea to read receipts carefully. And the fine print on menus & lists of services - they should notify you ahead of time that the charge will be added....

6. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    just so you know, that's not really the tip. we've been to the MGM spa many times and always wondered about this charge. we use the same therapist every trip, so last time we asked her about it. the therapst gets less than half of that fee. most of it goes to the spa as just another fee. so if you were happy with your treatment you should tip another 10% on top of that at least. my wife always tips another 20% on top of it.

7. 777

777 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shifter, do you know if Bellagio and Aria are doing the same thing? If they are, I won't tip as much as I used to. Thanks!

8. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    never been to Aria, but don't think the B was doing the same thing last time we were there.

9. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Something tells me a Service Charge & a Gratuity Charge are 2 different things. I'd ask before receiving the treatment just to be clear.

10. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I'm already paying for the SPA treatment, then what the hell could the "service charge" be for other then a tip ? ! ? ! ?

11. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the same thing a service charge is on room service and other stuff. similar to a resort fee. just another way to get more of your money in a semi-hidden way. you don't have to tip on top of that if you don't want to - i'm sure most people don't - but all the money is not going to the therapist.

i will say the one thing i really like about the way MGM does it is that the service charge and the tip (if you add one) all go onto the bill as "spa service". which means if your host comps it or you use express comps on it, the service charge and tip are comped off. much better than every other spa which lists the tip separately and it's never comped.

12. MangoPort

MangoPort High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure about in Vegas but the 18% service charge added to most Toronto clubs goes 7% server, 11% house.

The service charge should just be added to the base cost, even though it clearly spells out that 20% is going to be tact on. In my opinion if it's not a direct tip it should be added directly instead of forcing the customer to calculate what their actual bill will be.

I'm really starting to appreciate how in Australia everything has tax and tip included upfront and if you want to tip extra you can go right ahead but you're never surprised.

13. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yep, i was just in Europe last week and that's how it is. everything includes VAT and tip. what you see is what you get. it's great and then, like you said, you can tip some extra if you want, but you don't have to. even though the prices seem higher, when you realize that it includes everything, it's not so bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.