1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

$40 a Day?

Discussion in 'Las Vegas for the Frugal (not Cheap)' started by elswam, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elswam

elswam Some day I will have a JACKPOT

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How much money need to live in vegas daily, i think that is posible with 40 dlls, thats include, room(25), food(10) and gambling(5), i guess that too coupons, free play comps, :would help, what do you think

2. ebuzz7

ebuzz7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That would be tough on $40 and not a whole lot of fun. IMHO.

3. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would rather go to work then try to "live" in Vegas for $40 per day.

4. elswam

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks

thaks for your opinion, could be tough, i know "agaist the wind", but then its realizable.

5. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where can you stay for 25 dollars a day? Rates are going to fluctuate. Also, who is going to comp someone who plays 5 dollars a day?

6. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you actually talking about moving to Las Vegas to live there? Or just talking about going for a super cheap vacation?

If talking about living there you could probably get the numbers even cheaper if you went with a cheap apartment and bought cheap bulk groceries and ate a lot of the same stuff every day.

If talking about going there for vacation then $40 per day is doable, but really falls in to the category of "why bother?"

7. elswam

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Auggie

Thanks Auggie for your apreciation, well i talking about vacations, i guess is more easy live in vegas and for less money, but i would like to be hotel to hotel, could be a great adventure, and then whit that cost of 40 dlls per day is ok for me.

8. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think not....you can bet your life for less than 5 $ a day in other much more compatible cities.....i think you are dilusional unless on a better ride than you expect......you could end up by the escalators by Bally's if it doesn't work out.....think about it....
    '

9. searchin

searchin Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I say doable. But in the off seasons and not on the weekends. If you really like to gamble this would be torture. You would need more money for gambling.

10. golfnut

golfnut Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not possible, for me anyways. What about money for something else that comes up. Your $5 entertianment budget won't go far. Well you could always not eat for the day. If you still need money you could sleep outside under an overpass to save that $25. Oh just what I thought you end up homeless. Please don't do it.

11. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd question why you would even budget $5 for gaming. You are already going extremely cheap on the room/food. Why budget $5 for something that will last you 1-2 hands or 5 minutes in a slot? If you are being frugal on room/food, why not be frugal on entertainment?

The only way I see $25/day happening for a room is getting a monthly lease and even that would be tough.

12. rob889

rob889 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I actually like the challenge of this idea. One really could do it if they were willing to make some major sacrifices...like sleeping in late on a fri then checking out and skipping on a fri night to save the $, taking full advantage of cheap buffets and coupons (think one meal a day...unless you stash something away for later), swim in the pools for free, etc. It is potentially doable...but as other posters have asked the real question is why. Without much $ you'll run out of things to do to pass your time...you can only walk the strip, watch the fountains, etc. so much before you begin to ask why. Other than the challenge of it, you're ultimately just killing hours/days of your life...and life shouldn't be wasted

13. Shelbymae

Shelbymae Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree....why? if you cant afford to have any entertainment, or even any transportation costs whats the fun? I am not much of a gambler, and I am as cheap and frugal as they come...but even with my room already pre paid I am budgeting more than 40 bucks a day. Im sure it can be done...but I dont think I would even waste my time going if that is all I could do.

14. jgr789

jgr789 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me one word: IMPOSSIBLE

15. theshaah

theshaah High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oooh boy ya'll done woke up the sleeping giant now. This is NOT IMPOSSIBLE. I've been doing this very thing for the last 10 years only my budget up until this past year has been TWENTY dollars a day. (Not including room) I have gone and had a GREAT time on this exact ammount.

Now for the caveat. I am a flight attendant, so I paid nothing for my flight. It's a perk of my job. So since I didn't have to shell out a couple of hundred dollars for a flight to LV I would say that it was NOT a waste of time and effort to go to las vegas and scrounge around for cheap entertainment and good cheap food.

HOWEVER, if you are talking about going to Las Vegas for a vacation for a few days.....AND shelling out a few hundred dollars for the privelege of doing so you might want to question your motives for this experiment.

This past year I've been a bit more cavalier in my spending habits in Las Vegas. Tho I will admit to being out here for work a bit more than I have in the past. For the year I'm up gambing wise. spent a fair ammount on entertainment, and have had a great time. The year isn't over yet. But so far so good.

CAN you survive on 40 dollars a day in LV? Absolutely!!! SHOULD you? Thats a question I can leave only up to the asker.

16. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

You're not including the room in your estimates, which is the main issue I have with the original post.

Sure, you can find 25 dollar rooms in vegas at various times of the year, but you can't "live" in Vegas hotel rooms for that cost. The weekends and high seasons make that impossible.

Also, if you remove the room the OP is looking to spend 15 dollars a day, not 20.

17. earth-3

earth-3 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You better have a solid option in case this doesn't work. Someone who would be ready to bail you out in an emergency or to get you back home. Some of the places you might be sleeping in, won't be safe haven for your money or a credit card. Especially if your forced to live and sleep out doors on occasion. It might be a personal challenge to you, but it may not be a fun or pleasant trip either.

18. djegators

djegators Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally, might be tough to even eat and drink for $40/day (not an alcoholic, but Vegas and adult beverages go hand in hand for me). And the only reason I would do that is to increase gambling/entertainment budget. Go there cheap, for what? Just to walk around?

19. elswam

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks theshaah, really my question have two objectives,

1.-Challenge and Adventure with minimun spending money
    2.-Make a difference in one year over other vacationers

i know maybe it will be difficult but take my risk, i think with good attitud i could get it

you said no include the room, then how much you spend in total to live before.

and other question Whats really the minimun amount to live in vegas daily?

20. djegators

djegators Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now, I am thinking ways you could make that room and food budget work, if you traveled with at least one other person, therefore splitting the room cost, and finding cheap 2-4-1 buffets, or splitting meals, that sort of thing. Guess ya'll could buy some cheap booze too....but then again, what about the entertainment budget?

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.