1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Death Valley & Ghost town (Rhyolite - Beatty)

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by ValerieJo, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValerieJo

ValerieJo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thinking about taking a day trip to Death Valley and the Ghost Towns in the Rhyolite - Beatty area. Had anyone done this? What are your recommendations? What are the best things to see and do?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. irmster

irmster Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did this trip last December. Set out from Las Vegas about 8:30 am - the route we took was Ryholite - Furness Creek Visitors Centre - Badwater basin - Artist Drive- Zabriskie point. Then back to LV via Pahrump arriving back around 4pm.

Really enjoyed the day. Probably the Ghost Town was the least interesting part, and the walk in the basin the best part. Definitely worth the effort - although this time of year I guess it would be somewhat hotter!

4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We broke up the Rhyolite/Death Valley into two (actually three) trips (long story on the third).

First we did the lower part of Death Valley and Rhyolite. Drove up to Beatty/Rhyolite and then back the long way via Furnace Creek, Devil's Golf Course, Artist Drive (gotta do it backwards this way), Badwater.

Next time drove up to the Scotty's Castle and Ubehebe area and did that.

5. searchin

searchin Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was a little disappointed in Ryolite after the long drive out there. It baffles me that this town died about 1910 (pop 8,000 ) and there is only about 3 falling down buildings left. Did it burn ? termites ? My house is 112 yrs old and it is still all here.
    Good show on Netflix Ghost Adventures (2007) has a segment on the Goldfield Hotel in Goldfield NV . Very spooky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.