1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

One night downtown

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by Sotajerk, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sotajerk

Sotajerk Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My girlfriend and I will be in Vegas for five days at the end of November. We have a mostly comped stay at Flamingo. We would like to spend one night downtown.

We have previously stayed at Plaza and GN but that is the only place we are ruling out. We want cheap, like <$50, preferably a recently remodeled room, on Fremont.

We are very low rollers with a $200 a day total budget each not including rooms. We mostly play slots and I play some roulette. Cheap drinks, clean rooms and fun are our most important factors.

So where do we stay? What hotels have recently redone rooms? Any place to find good codes or deals for downtown hotels?

2. sallyjo

sallyjo Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One night

Hi .. check out the Four Queens, great room rates, wonderful staff and tons of fun to be downtown!! It's like a New Orleans Burbon Street .. only in Las Vegas .. most the time they have free stage shows on the street .. just a real las vegas experience.

3. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cabana Suites at the El Cortez. Brand new freshly redone rooms, and you will faint when you see how cheap they are. Best bed I have EVER slept on in my life. We had a Junior Suite, very nice.

4. Sotajerk

Sotajerk Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was checking out the Fremont. It looks like the rooms there are freshly remodeled and its cheap. I guess I was just hoping for little cheaper....

5. Sotajerk

Sotajerk Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Cabana suites look awesome and are priced really well but we really want to be on Fremont and right in the thick of it.

6. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It takes no more than 2 minutes to walk to the entrance of the FSE and you don't have to deal with noise at all. Well worth it.

7. Sotajerk

Sotajerk Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If we were staying for a few nights we would proably choose the Cabana Suites but its just one night. We really just want to be able to get completely bombed and not half to worry about making any trek at all. We could cab back to the Flamingo if that was the case. I just want somewhere to crash and maybe stop in one or twice throughout the evening so convenience is a huge factor.

Was just checking out pics and reviews of the Golden Gate on tripadvisor and the rooms there look pretty cool, especially with the windows looking out to fremont.

8. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We would always stay at The Golden Nugget when staying Downtown because it was the most Strip-like of the properties.

On our trip this past April we decided to stay just one night Downtown and went with The Fremont - the room is small, but it was clean and the bed was comfortable. The one thing most people will say on staying there is the bathrooms may be the smallest in Las Vegas (and indeed they are tiny).

And it was cheap: costing us only $21 for the night.

Overall we had a good stay there and for our next trip to Las Vegas it is very likely that we will stay there again, probably for two nights.

9. Sotajerk

Sotajerk Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks like I'm starting to narrow it down to Golden Gate or Fremont. Bathrooms arent much of a concern since we wont even be showering there. We will just wake up and head back to the Flamingo.

10. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    sotajerk, you should probably read reviews of the hotels before you make your decision. A number of people feel that the GG rooms are claustrophobically small, for that matter the fremont bathrooms are small, not only the tub and shower but I was always afraid of my toiletries falling in the toilet because the shelf was too small to fit my stuff.

The D was recently acquired but I'm not sure if they renovated their rooms. The plaza might be worthwhile but with the renovations and new resort fee the rates might be higher than $50. The 4 queens is right on fremont street, the rooms are decent size. You also need to realize that most of these places (except for maybe the GN and plaza) they are 2 or at most 3 star hotels, not sure how particular your gf is. If the GN is only $20 more I would consider staying there instead, paying a little more for a higher star hotel and a nicer experience.

I understand your reluctance to the cabana suites and the distance from the fremont street experience. While the cabana suites are nice it kind of is a pain for some of us to have to trudge back to the place. I also feel more comfortable being closer to the fremont street experience but the rates at the el cortez are usually lower than most of the other downtown hotels.

exactly what day are you looking to stay downtown? Maybe we can assist you with rates for that night.

11. Sotajerk

Sotajerk Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its just a place to crash so we realize that its not going to be as nice as our previous stay in the Rush tower at GN or even the Plaza room. As long as its clean we will be fine. My girlfriend has bedbug paranoia but isnt TOO picky.

The rooms at Fremont and Golden Gate look recently remodeled and as long as there is a bed in there size isnt important. We will be leaving everything back at the Flamingo so we dont even need a place to put our stuff.

I'm sure I will read all the reviews for every place downtown and look at pictures/videos for all of them before we decide. This will be our third Vegas trip this year and we spend lots and lots of time planning everything out:beer:

12. Sotajerk

Sotajerk Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Makiki:

We are staying November 29th.

13. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For that date you can even get the GN for under $50. 4 Queens for $31 on that date is a great deal. Some people like GG, but it is a little too close for me. I dont want to feel like Fremont St is actually in the room with me, and with that stage outside, I can only imagine how loud it would be.

14. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kayak search turned up the D hotel (formerly fitzgeralds) for $27 using Hotels.com. The el cortez is also $27 a night but as you said it is farther away from the FSE.

Vegas club is $30 a night (but don't stay there).

The 4 queens is $31 a night using orbitz.

The plaza is $35 a night but add in the resort fee and it's $45 a night.

The Cal and Main street station are both $38 a night but then they are a block away from the FSE. For me that isn't a problem but it might be for you.

Golden Gate was $39 a night using orbitz. The Fremont is $45 using hotels.com.

The GN is $47 a night.

Of course these prices don't include taxes and fees so you need to add in a few bucks.

btw, if you go with hotels.com you can always cancel and get your money back. Not sure how easy it is if you use orbitz and others and want to cancel or change.

Hard to say which is the better place to stay but IMHO I would stay at the D or 4 queens since the rates are lower there. but then that's just me.

Hope this helped.

15. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rates to go with promo code wow20off has GN for $42 including taxes. The other hotels are less.

16. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    tatt, just wondering, where did you get this code? thanks.

17. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    An email from Rates to go. You may have to book in AUD instead of USD, which would negate the savings for 1 night if you dont have a fee free credit card. Sometimes it works with USD, sometimes not.

I keep a list of hotel promo codes on spreadsheets to quickly book hotels.

18. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks for the info.

I read the conditions, it requires you to purchase in AUD so not sure if it will be that much cheaper for 1 night.

Might be interesting for me, I was looking at other cities (san fran, paris, london, etc.) so it might be worth trying the site out.

19. Halo16

Halo16 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    El Cortez Cabana is my vote, those rooms are nice, and Fremont East is a fun area to have drinks. Fremont Experience is like a 2-3 minute walk from there.

And Elco has cheap gaming at least last time I was there.

20. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have used them several times for trips. They are owned by Orbitz. I have a fee free credit card, so the transaction fee wasnt an issue for me, although I can see why it might be for some people. It saved me over $100 on my last trip so Vegas and Palm Springs. Not sure, but if I remember correctly, the last time I used that code I did it in USD and it went through fine, but the time before it would not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.