1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Transporting Sandwiches

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by schwaiguy, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schwaiguy

schwaiguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi, Everyone,

I was hoping to bring some Jersey Mike's subs home this time, and I'm looking for tried and-true advice for keeping sandwiches fresh in a cooler for 8 hours.

I've tried this numerous times during a 2-hour drive, and I always ended up with the bread soaked through. This time, I bought 1-quart freezer storage bags and was considering alos wrapping them in 3-4 grocery store plastic bags and taping them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Schwaiguy

2. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Guy,man this question is right up my alley...little background,I grew up on Jersy Mikes subs,born in Pt Pleasant same year the first shop opened!
    But after I moved to Florida (and before the franchises opened in my area here),I used to pack up a few for the flights home on visits to NJ.
    I used an insulated cooler bag (carry on plane or checked) and packed it with ice packs and asked the guys at the store to wrap them up as they would normally but in half to fit better in the bag...
    I even had security at ACY open one up (Pre 9/11 TSA) and I explained to the person,'you can't get a decent sub in Florida)

I think you'll be ok with an insulated bag and bricks of ice packs or sealed Gallon zip-locks under loose ice..no problem.
    Curious where you live ? Good luck !!

3. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are a couple of things on this:

First and foremost the number one thing is: no tomatoes. They break down really easily and really fast and are always the biggest cause of the bread getting soggy.

Next, for condiments the only one that really keeps well for a long period of time on a sandwich is mustard. But that said I would probably go without any condiments at all. If your plan is to eat these before you get all the way home then just stop off at a 7-11 or something and go and buy yourself a drink and grab some packets of mayo and mustard from the sandwich area.

For wrapping them up the most important thing here: are these subs made hot? or cold?

If they are made and served hot then you don't want to wrap them in plastic: the heat and steam will be trying to escape but you would end up just holding it in so it'll just soak in to the driest thing in the package: the bread.

If they are served cold or at room temperature, even then using plastic isn't the best choice, but it will be better than if it was a hot sub wrapped up.

Instead, the best way to wrap your sandwiches would be in either wax paper or aluminum foil, with the reason being: food is constantly decomposing and by wrapping it up in plastic you are holding all the gases and heat in and that will just speed up the decomposition process. As the food decomposes most of the foods will give off moisture which will, like above, soak in to the driest thing in the package: the bread. By using wax paper or tin foil it gives the gases a way to escape because no matter how tight to wrap the thing its unlikely you will be able to get it air tight.

Note that talking about speeding up the decomposition process or food being in a constant state of decay doesn't mean your sandwiches won't be any good after 8 hours... just that the food is constantly in a state of decomposing and while it may be fine for up to 24-48 hours, by wrapping it tightly you are only helping to speed up the process.

4. HAWJOHN

HAWJOHN Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This info is provided only for the ice pack on a carryon. I had to give it up since it was more than three ounces. Thereafter, I placed them in my checked luggage.

5. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keep the oil and vinegar on the side

But if it was me,I'd just enjoy them while fresh in Point.

6. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We unwrap the grub, wrap them in paper towels and put them in a gallon ziploc bag.

7. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's so special?

Are you sure there isn't one closer to you? There's 48 in Florida.
    I have one down the street from me but I've never been to one.

Attached Files:

8. schwaiguy

schwaiguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, everyone, the last 36 hours in Vegas were busy. A day-long job interview, a night in Moon at the Palms, an 11:00 AM checkout. I live on the NM/AZ border. although I'm originally from Pittsburgh.

I did very well with mostly successful results. I brought back the following sandwiches:

a Bella Panini Chicken Parmesan and Caprese

a giant Jersey Mike supreme club.

I simply wrapped the two Bella Panini sandwiches in double gallon ziplock bags, and then in multiple wal mart gorcey bags.

There was a cool guy at the Jersey Mike's near the Hard Rock who helped set me up for a travel. He wrapped me up a loaf of bread in plastic wrap and put the meats, cheese, and bacon in a platic lidded basket. No vegetabes. I wrapped this basket in 2 gallon ziplock bags and a wal mart bag. no problem there.

I love Jersey Mike's Roast Beef!!!

I was going to attempt bringing home a Nathan's cheesesteak, but after Tony Luke's quality, everything else is a let down.

I ended up giving it to the cool jersey Mike's guy.

Schwaiguy

9. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It can be done.

Guys smuggle pistols into prison so where there is a will there is a way!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.