1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

fish and chips

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by bulldog, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bulldog

bulldog Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    where are the best fish and chips downtown and also on the strip. do they have malt vinegar packets for a order to go and also stay open late.

Thanks for the help

2. CinnamintStick

CinnamintStick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the fish and chips from PJ Clarks in the Forum Shops next to Joe's. Huge portions big enough to share. I get them when I am at the bar for happy hour. $1 oysters.

3. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ri Ra is pretty damn good, but I don't know about the malt vinegar packets.

4. ROTJob

ROTJob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ellis Island.

5. xizor

xizor Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fulton's Fish Fry at NYNY. I get it every trip :thumbsup:

6. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    777 brewpub at main street station

7. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband often gets that as a midday meal, and I like the clam chowder in a bread bowl......

8. gerry53

gerry53 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    mickey finnz on fremont has good fish and chips and many other great seafood items.

they also have great drinks and a nice outdoor patio.

we tried fulton`s at nyny once and it wasn`t bad and then we tried it again at lunchtime next trip and it was soggy and gross.

9. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure if he's had it since 2009, but he's had it several times since ~2000 and I think once it was soggy....Too bad! Soggy fish & chips is one of the ickiest things!

10. chicklo

chicklo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Todd English Pub in Crystals has the best fish and chips. It's a huge serving too.

11. gerry53

gerry53 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ???:confused2:

12. MrSandsman

MrSandsman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ri Ra's is the closest I have found in Vegas to the fish and chips I get back home in Australia.

13. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only downtown place I've ordered fish and chips was at Hennessey's Tavern (or was it Mickie Finnz?) on the patio. The only GOOD fish and chips I've had in Vegas were at Nine Fine Irishmen at NYNY. I've tried fish and chips a few other places in Vegas, and quite a few other locations, including London, England, but gave up. It's kind of like ordering a Manhattan or a real Maryland style crab cake; disappointment is sure to follow. Let's just say the odds of winning at the tables are much better than being happy you ordered certain things. The only place I might be willing to try again would be McMullan's Irish Pub across from the Orleans.

This might be where I lose all credibility, but I've found the absolute best fish and chips come from … drum roll … Captain D's! (If there's any difference between Captain D's and Long John Silver's, I don't know what it might be.) I've prepared my own fish and chips at home using their "secret recipe," but find it's much better, easier, and less expense to take it home from the Captain's. It's consistently terrific! I can't even buy the raw fish as inexpensively as the cooked meal, including hush-puppies, fries, and slaw!

Sorry, I digressed, but I take my fish and chips seriously. I even bring a few packets of malt vinegar (obtained from Captain D's) with me to the buffets just in case they have fried cod. (I also carry some Old Bay Seasoning for other seafood.) Fish and chips without malt vinegar would be like hotdogs without mustard!

14. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :beer: When we ate there the first time I told my wife that those were the closest I had ever had to the Fish and Chips I had in England and Scotland.

15. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Society Cafe at Encore also has fish and chips - a friend of mine loves their version (I can't say firsthand because I am not all that crazy about fish and chips).

16. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry. I'll break it down for you.

I don't know when you had your good meal or when you had your soggy meal.

1. My husband has eaten the Fulton St Fish Market fish & chips on multiple occasions since the year 2000.

2. On only one of those occasions has the fish been soggy. I do not remember which year that was.

3. I do not believe he has eaten the fish & chips at Fulton st since the year 2009.

4. If your "soggy" experience was more recent than the year 2009:
    a. It could have been an off day for the restaurant; or
    b. the restaurant could have gone down hill overall. I do not have any personal anecdotes to relate of recent quality.

17. gerry53

gerry53 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    gotcha,

It was definitely prior to 2009 and I agree that any place can have an off day.

another place I forgot to mention was the coffee shop at ti,we had fish and chips there late a couple of years ago and they were delicious but that place is kind of pricey.

18. Reed

Reed High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really enjoyed the fish and chips that I had at Nine Fine Irishmen, but that is the only place in Vegas that I have had them so I don't have much to compare it to.

19. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Re: Nine Fine Irishmen - we stopped in on a nice Feb day - sunny, but breezy and not all that warm - and it was early in the day - 11am? We grabbed a couple pints and drank outside on their patio. I imagine it can get crazy (they were already starting to set things up for mardi gras and/or St Patrick's day with the mobile bar/keg units - I just can't remember what date it was...) but it was lovely when we were there. No cocktail service (until we told someone we were out there - we had bought our first pints at the bar - they weren't really staffing outside yet)

20. DK528

DK528 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had the fish n chips at Gordon Ramsay and they were fine, but certainly not worth the price (over $40, I think). Also, I'm a big tartar sauce fan and they give you a couple brush strokes' worth. . . boo. I'm sorry I can't give you a recommendation but you can take it off your list (if it was on there to begin with).

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.