1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Dollar Car Rental - Some questions

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by nhcris, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be in Vegas for the week of G2E so car rentals are much higher than usual. I normally use Alamo and I am very happy with them because they have a Kiosk (I am in & out in a flash & no BS trying to upsell) and I get to pick my car from the row.

I have reserved an SUV with Dollar for $216 which is cheaper by $150+ than everybody else . Unless something significantly changes in the next 2 months it looks like I will be using them so I have some questions.

What is the most efficient way to get through the pick up process with Dollar?

Will I have a choice of vehicles?

After reading about issues with gas receipts, I will be sure to have one. Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sign up for Fastlane. Enter all your info including DL# and CC#. Bypass the line at the top floor and head downstairs. Stop at the small booth down there, they'll check you out and point you in the direction of vehicle types you have reserved.
    Pick one and note all damages before leaving. It's a slick operation.

3. zlanga

zlanga High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Make sure you are a Dollar Express member and that your reservation is associated with it.
    Once you arrive on the rental car bus from the airport to the rental car center, just go thru the front doors, turn left and head to the lower level where the Dollar cars are found. They will have your name on the board, or an attendant can help direct you to the spot which has your car, with the contract waiting inside. Look the car over, mark off damaged areas on the contract, then head on out. The attendant at the exit will take care of the final steps on the way out of the garage.
    If you aren't a dollar express member, go stand in line, get pressured for insurance, gas fillup, etc, waste a bunch of your time, then go downstairs and wait a little while longer.
    Dollar express makes it as easy as can be to get your vehicle. I've never been disappointed with the pickup or drop off with Dollar, but as you said I always have my gas receipt handy just in case.
    Enjoy!

USBC Nationals
  4. Steelers7

Steelers7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You will have a choice of vehicles from what is on the lot at the time of pickup. Dollar express is the easiest, fastest way to get through(I've never seen a line downstairs...I've never seen anyone down there picking up a car). The lines up top are hit and miss, sometimes you will have a wait, other times you can walk right up with no wait at all. If you get your car from the upstairs counter just tell them when you walk up you will fill the car up yourself, you do/or don't need insurance, and they will get you right out. Keep checking the prices if you want, they bounce up and down daily it seems. I've never had a problem with the gas receipt myself, didnt even turn one in last time. But do check your tank to make sure it is full before you drive off. If it isn't full just tell the person at the exit and they will make note of it and instruct you to return it at the same level basically. Never, never, had a problem with Dollar myself.

5. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the helpful responses! I signed up for Express and when I get my number I will hopefully be able to attach it to my reservation. The Express pick up process sounds as simple as Alamo which is a good thing. I'll keep watching for a better deal somewhere, but if I end up with this one it sounds like all will be well :)

6. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't rented with Dollar the past few trips, but the last time I did, they had implemented the display board at the garage kiosk for Express members. It tells you what space your car is in. You just go directly to that space, the contract is in the car, you get in and go through the security gate, that's it.

So if you use that system, I don't think you get your choice of cars. I'm sure you could go back to the garage kiosk and ask for a different one, but that kind of defeats the purpose of Express.

7. aliasyoshi

aliasyoshi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With the express sign up and rental, how does using coupons work?

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On the website there is a spot to input promotion code before you finish the reservation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.