1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Moving to Las Vegas (neighborhood advice)

Discussion in 'Living in Sin (City that is)' started by MrChevyCeleb, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrChevyCeleb

MrChevyCeleb Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi everyone!

I just got a job in LV and need to relocate across the country from the East Coast. I've got a month to do it and I can't visit to see places to live. So I'll need to get a place for me and my fiance sight-unseen. Which is a little unnerving, but I think we can do it -- well, we have to! :wave:.

I think we are planning to look at living in Summerlin. And we're totally ok with apartment complexes.

Any advice on making a safe, solid choice in Summerlin?

thanks!

2. vegasbound

vegasbound VIP Whale

I have no specific recommendations for Summerlin, but I do recommend running any potential addresses in LVMPD Crime Mapper for a glimpse at crime in the area.

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Summerlin is nice, I would also throw Centennial Hills into the mix. That is the area we lived in.

4. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A friend rents in a gated community in Henderson. He likes it and the area seems nice. Green Valley seems like a nice local place for dinner or drinks.

5. Sue

Sue Tourist

Living in Summerlin

I live in a gated apartment complex in Summerlin and I like it but I also have friends who live in Green Valley Ranch and they like it too. What part of town will your job be in? How much did you want to spend on rent? My biggest piece of advice would be to go to apartmentratings.com.

6. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Frank and Lorenzo?:wink2:

Nick:beer:

7. MrChevyCeleb

MrChevyCeleb Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be working past the highway west of the strip which is why I'm looking at Summerlin almost completely.

What about some of those complexes in The Lakes? They're much cheaper and probably still a nice area, right?

Breakers, Reflections, places like that? Trying to do a 2-bedroom for $800-$1K

8. MrChevyCeleb

MrChevyCeleb Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    oh and thanks everyone for your thoughts so far!

9. richardinbc

richardinbc Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Three cats

There is a lady poster here called Three Cats and she has helped others here find rental accommodation in Vegas. Contact her she may be able to help you.

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    West of the Strip, but how far South?

11. MrChevyCeleb

MrChevyCeleb Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not south really at all. Kind of direct west.

Hearing stuff about Centennial Hills too.... should I look at apt complexes there? What's it like?

12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We lived near the area. Plenty of retail, dining etc. Easy on/off on US 95.

Centennial Hills is a master planned community and I'm not sure if there are apartments in there, but plenty apartments in the surrounding areas.

Crime can happen anywhere, but we thought the entire area was safe. It's about 14 miles to the Strip, but still in the City of Las Vegas.

We lived in zip code 89131 and Centennial Hills is immediately west of that area.

I like the Summerlin area, just giving you another option. If you're going to be working in Summerlin, It's an easy drive down US 95 to the Summerlin Parkway.

Good luck with your search.

13. MrChevyCeleb

MrChevyCeleb Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks! I'm going to start looking in the centennial hills area too I think. Summerlin was my initial plan but have heard from some ppl. That some of the places in the Lakes are nice areas too and you can save a lot of cash. You're nearby summerlin but just outside so it's cheaper....

14. MrChevyCeleb

MrChevyCeleb Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anybody know about San Croix apartments? It's a good company and I bet the apt's are nice but is it a safe area? It looks like it may not be.....

http://www.lasvegasliving.com/community/LiveAt-SanCroix.aspx

And any thoughts on The Lakes? Like the Breakers complex or Reflections?

thanks everyone! It's tough to do this so far away so I appreciate it!:peace:

15. 3cats

3cats High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh dear here we go again.

There are plenty of nice apartment complexes in the Summerlin area with rental available signs in front of the gates.
    If worse gets to worse, you can always rent a budget suite for 3 weeks till you find a place. Its been done.
    I love Centennial Hills area. I have sold and place renters in properties there. But the transactions I did in that location were for folks who WORK in that area.
    They have said, they like living close to work, the neighborhood is nice, just so far away from the strip and downtown so when they get visitors its like their traveling to another county to get to the strip and back.

I have been to the strip 3X this year. so its not a big deal, but, when I get a visitor who wants to play tourist, I am glad I live in Summerlin.

Don't hesitate to private message me with questions.

3cats

16. MrChevyCeleb

MrChevyCeleb Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks for the response! I need all the perspective I can get.... I will PM you

17. ernestoc33

ernestoc33 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Henderson has low crime and lots of parks. If your biggest consideration is moving in sight unseen, maybe rent a extended stay room from Budget Suites by the week until you find a suitable place. It would be better than getting locked into a place that you may not like a couple months into a 12 month lease.

18. sandonny

sandonny Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Summerlin, in my opinion, is HIGHLY overrated. To me, it is like little "Los Angeles." It is entirely CaliforniaFIED. If I were you, I would easily choose THE LAKES over Summerlin. The prices are similar and the area is entirely safe. Green Valley Ranch would also be nice as well as MOST AREAS of Green Valley. BUT Green Valley is older than The Lakes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.