1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Killer Deal One Way To Vegas

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by blackjacknut, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I have been researching fares to Vegas out of CAK, and found this killer deal on a one way to Vegas added to another one way on a different airline I can save about $300.00 on two tickets. However look at the itinerary:

Akron, OH (CAK)Wed Dec 26, 20126:00 am
    ARRIVING
    Las Vegas, NV (LAS)Wed Dec 26, 20122:56 pm

2 Stops
    Total Time
    11h 56m

United Airlines: Flight 5869 / Embraer RJ135/145 (Jet)
    operated by United Express/ExpressJet
    Akron, OH (CAK)
    6:00 am
    To:
    Chicago, IL (ORD)
    6:23 am
    Travel Time:
    1h 23m
    Economy/Coach Class
    Layover Time: 3h 37m

United Airlines: Flight 769 / Boeing 757-200 (Jet)
    Chicago, IL (ORD)
    10:00 am
    To:
    San Francisco, CA (SFO)
    12:38 pm
    Travel Time:
    4h 38m
    Economy/Coach Class
    Layover Time: 47m

United Airlines: Flight 753 / Airbus A320 (Jet)
    San Francisco, CA (SFO)
    1:25 pm
    To:
    Las Vegas, NV (LAS)
    2:56 pm
    Travel Time:
    1h 31m
    Economy/Coach Class

The cost is $173.00 per ticket, I have never taken this flight path before, have you or would you? I'm not going to book this but thought I would throw this out for discussion.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wow, are you serious? 2 plane changes, 5 hours of sitting in airports and 12 hours of flying all over the country to save a couple hundred bucks? sounds crazy to me. $173 each way isn't even that cheap. i just bought nonstop tickets for less than that a couple of weeks ago.

3. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm pretty dang cheap and I wouldn't do it.

4. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know like I said I'm not taking this flight but found it to be interesting. Flights out of CAK and CLE are on the rise, even a couple of months ago you were looking at $485 for a non-stop out of Cleveland and $425 round trip out of Akron/Canton with a stop in Chicago. I'm taking a First Class flight out of CAK via Delta with a short stop in Atlanta. I live only 8 mins from CAK so it is my preferred airport, however they do not have non-stops to Vegas.

5. kmarcin

kmarcin Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm in a similar situation, but CLE is only 15 minutes from my house compared to 45 minutes to CAK. But we have flown out of CAK if the price is right.

In any event, things seem to be changing with flights out of CLE on Southwest. It appears as of October 1, 2012, Southwest will not offer non-stop flights out of CLE. That being said, the best price I could find for your flight out of CLE on Southwest was $246 with a layover of about 3 hours at MDW.

The bottom line is if you don't mind making the extra stops and waiting for a few more hours to save about $70 then go for it.

6. bratkar

bratkar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, I just booked out of CAK, with Southwest for this Sept. It was 139.00 each way... I dont mind the stops in Denver, each way they are under two hours, not when the same time frame with southwest out of cleveland was 229.00 each way and the direct flight time wasnt working for our plans. I'm about right in the middle between CLE and CAK, but prefer CAK when given the choice. I'm thrilled Southwest is now flying out of there... Now I wish I could find a decent airfare to just about ANYWHERE in December, Vegas, Cancun, FLA... I dont care. Just not having luck!!!!!

Kelli

7. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd avoid SFO personally. They seem to always have ATC delays.

8. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, that's a no-go for me. One layover if I have to... 2, no freakin way. Missed connections, lost luggage, cancelled flights... nope. Pay a premium to get a direct or a one hop.

Nick:beer:

9. utwofan

utwofan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't care how cheap it is - there is now way I would even try it.

Past history with flights to Vegas that involve any sort of stop have usually ended in an extremely late arrival. Either plane issues or weather (especially in the Winter months). I have had stops that do not even involve a plane change and have still had unexpected delays of one sort or another.

Nonstop from my location is 4 1/2 hours. Most stops add up to another 4-6 hours for the trip. I don't like paying extra for the flight but will pay whatever the amount for a non-stop option.

Too much planning and anticipation for these escapes so I want to get there as quickly as possible with as little delay as possible.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  10. zlanga

zlanga High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did a 2 stop flight once that took 8 hours going SAT-IAH-SLC-LAS. It took over 8 hours and it was miserable.
    And the comment about delays in SFO, spot-on. Definitely not worth it.

USBC Nationals
  11. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That looks like someone on STAND BY would have to do......not a planned flight....from the east coast we just got $139 to Vegas and $149 back in late August......

12. djegators

djegators Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, I wouldn't do that trip either. I'd pay double not to do that, it would kill a whole day and then some, and my time is worth money. Heck, I'd drive two hours to get to a better flight before doing that craziness.

13. blizzard96

blizzard96 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly united out of rochester ny and they always have those ridiculus 2 stop flights with connections all over the country. Never ever would i take one of those. Ill pay more for united due to miles and free bags and decent chance at upgrade for me. Also dont forget that southwest doesnt charge for bags. Add that to the united flight and u save even less for all that hastle.

14. Kimsa70

Kimsa70 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just rebooked a one way flight on Southwest. I had originally paid $210 from Hartford, CT non-stop to Vegas. Today it was down to $164. Score! They allow you to rebook and keep the refunded amount for use on future travel. The return trip was bought with Southwest comps, so my round trip flight to Vegas over Day Weekend is costing me $164 all the way from CT!

15. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The problem of flying during winter months!

I prefer to fly non-stop but if it is not possible... I make sure that the stop-over is on the way to where I am going.

For example; If I am going to Houston,Texas, I don't want my plane to first go all the way to Atlanta and then fly back to Houston. That is a "NO, NO"
    for me. If the plane stops in Arizona, or New Mexico it is okay because it is still on the way to Houston.

Message to Blackjacknut, You decided to NOT buy the ticket. Smart move:

WINTER SNOW IN DECEMBER: Ohio and Chicago will have snow. Plus, there may be delays because planes who are arriving to Ohio or Chicago may be late due to rain and snow. That is a given. Snow happens.

San Francisco may also have the problem of waiting for a plane to show up from a snow state. So.... the waiting time is just too much and you may
    end up spending the night in some airport.

I am in the habit of flying from the west coast to Florida during the winter months to get to a cruise ship. I always try to get a non-stop flight. If that is not possible.... I try to get a plane that will stop at a non-snow state.
    But it still doesn't guarantee that my flights will be on time.
    This is why I always plan to spend the night at some hotel in Florida before I hop on a cruise ship the next day.
    Plus, I also have to deal with the east coast 3 hours difference of time.
    So it is always best to plan for spending one night just in case there are plane delays. The planes don't care if you are too late for your cruise. Lucy

16. Reed

Reed High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It would probably be worth and extra $150.00 each way to me to AVOID O'Hare - especially around the holidays during winter. That is a huge delay just waiting to happen.

17. gazilionar

gazilionar Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i would just end up spending all my savings plus possibly more at the airport bars. layovers are expensive. definitely not worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.