1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

MLife - It's not a rolling year

Discussion in 'Comps' started by JosieCat, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I e-mailed the same host who responded to BeeeJay - asking for clarification on tier expiration as I know I was still unsure after her response to BeeeJay, and this is the answer I got. It is NOT a rolling year. For me, unless I earn over 200,000 on my September trip, I will lose my platinum status in March of 2013. I am staying at the Bellagio in September, so I didn't think being in contact with a host there would hurt me at all :)

Hello Ms. JosieCat,

I don't mind answering your question at all. The tier credit structure can be confusing so I will try to explain it to you the best way I know how to.

You currently have 375,303 tier credits. You have 5,000 tier credits that will expire on 8/31/12 and an additional 227,266 credits that will expire on Septenber 30, 2012. Let's say you didn't have your September 4th trip scheduled, you would lose a total of 232,266 tier credits by 9/30/12 which would leave you with 143,037 tier credits. In this scenerio, you would drop from the Platinum tier down to the Gold tier on 9/30/12. However, you do have a trip scheduled before the end of September and you can easily earn 57,000 tier credits to keep you at the Platinum tier (200,000 tier credits). Then you will hold your Platinum status until March 2013 when you will lose another 100,000 tier credits. If you visit us between September and March and earn 100,000 tier credits, it will replenish the 100,000 that you stand to lose at the end of March. This is how you keep your Platinum status and not drop a tier.

The idea of our program is to keep our players active on a rolling 12 month cycle. You are rewarded with tier credits every time you visit and play. Your goal should be to earn as many tier credits as you stand to lose so that you never drop a tier. Of course, if you are a strong player and you earn several hundred thousand tier credits each visit, then you can easily get to our NOIR tier level which is our highest tier level.

I hope this answers your questions. Please let me know if I may assist you further or if you need additional clarification.

Also, you have 2 promotional offers that you can use prior to your September 4 trip. It would be my pleasure to offer you 3 complimentary nights on either offer if you can make a quick trip prior to September. Please feel free to keep my contact information on hand and let me know when you would like to return to Bellagio.

Best regards,

Rosemary

2. SnivesM

SnivesM Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm Noir with 1.6+ million tier credits (4-5 trips/year), $3500 in Express Comps.
    My current offers are basically 2-3 free nights in a room (not a suite) & $150-$250 in FreePlay across the mlife board!!

Have a trip planned in Sept.

Asked my hosts at Bellagio & Mirage what was going on & got the same reply:
    "Your slot play has dropped off - we can't offer you more"

The question I have is this: If you were Noir, would you expect an upgraded level of service / bare minimum of offer? While these offers may sound decent / reasonable to some, a basic room + $250 in FreePlay is pretty insulting to me...

Thoughts?

3. Tubbs

Tubbs High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do not think this is linked to the issue the OP was highlighting. You might want to start a new thread or link to a relevant live thread.

4. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree, insulting. The only explanation i can think of is your past trips are a lot of nights spreading that noir into a lower adt? I'd be pissed either way. I think Vegas is getting to be less of a value. I am finding it harder to justify the risk for the ever-diminishing rewards....

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

5. Reed

Reed High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the clarification, Josiecat! Guess that means I lost my Platinum status April 30th of this year, but during my October trip I will only be about 42,000 away.

6. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

That is ridiculous. I agree. There needs to be a minimum level of offers at Noir. I am Platinum and I get jack on Mlife. But...over three days on my last trip I only put on about 57 000 in three days whcih really isn't that much. But for Noir, there really should be a basement.

Do your comp dollars stay active as long as you are keeping your play active or do they drop off a cliff at some point to?

I Like to Drink and Gamble
  7. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is actually a very key point in understanding these tier levels. If you have trouble comfortably maintaining a tier level, you're probably playing above your tier. I'm not saying that in anyway condescendingly. However, if you're consistently dropping out of Platinum status, perhaps your comfort level is at Gold.

I normally earn 150k-250k tier credits per trip and make 2-3 trips per year. That puts me solidly in Platinum without much concern for dropping out. I haven't attempted to reach Noir because I just don't visit MGM properties enough to make it worth my time. Compared to what I get with Seven Stars (free trip, free cruise, $500 comp dinner), I really don't see any advantage to Noir over Platinum anyway.

Also, if you're only making 2 trips per year to Vegas, letting your tier lapse and then earning it with your normal play is not a big deal. You miss out on the theoretical room upgrade for Gold+, which I've yet to see actually happen. $20 trick is more effective.

8. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    well, let's do the math. 1.6M TCs over 4-5 trips is about 350k TCs per trip. that equates to 70k coin-in per trip and an approximate theo of 5-7k. that's $2000-2800 in comps per trip. depending on how many nights your average trip is and how much you normally spend on F&B, that may or may not get you a base level suite.

however, if what the hosts are saying is true and you were playing higher before and the last couple of trips you've played even lower than that, then i think that offer is right where you should be.

9. Tubbs

Tubbs High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Josie - Thanks for posting the response.

If the host response is accurate, it does make it tricky to keep track of what is happening with tier status. It also means that we get the messy scenario where a player re-earns a higher status, picks up a shiny new card with an expiration date of maybe 1 month ahead, when the next batch of TCs drop off!

10. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Reed and Tubbs - you are welcome. Yes, had I known this when booking my fall trip, I probably would have actually waited until October to take my trip, letting my tier credits go below platinum so that I would be re-earning it in October, thereby extending it out a year (instead of just maintaining it and having it expire in March). My Bellagio offer that I used was good through the end of October - so the only thing I would have lost was the difference in the accelerated earnings of points and express comps between platinum and gold (1.75 vs 1.5). Oh well.

11. Tubbs

Tubbs High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How I read it, it would not make any difference. You could earn points in September to extend Platinum or earn points in October to re-earn Platinum. Either way, Platinum ends in March 2013 when you lose the next batch of TCs.

Or am I missing something? :confused2:

12. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I re-read her e-mail and she didn't really address that, mostly I suspect because she knows I am coming in September and will most likely re-earn platinum - but I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that dropping a tier and then re-earning it would get it extended out a year again. Maybe that's not correct.

13. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure what changed or if platinum is somehow different than gold. I earned gold about 18 months ago. Each trip afterwards I played very very little(less than 5k tier points), and on the trips where I was still above 75k tier points, I went to the MLife desk and got a new card. The date Gold expired for me always moved up. This was true until this past March where I was not above 75k points anymore. My expiration remained the same and did not move to March 2013.

Again it is possible something changed or something is different at higher tiers. Everytime I played and was above the Gold threshold though, my expiration data for Gold was moved ahead as well.

14. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As for the theoretical room upgrade - I just came back from a stay at Aria where I was indeed given a room upgrade for being Gold. I had booked an Aria offer which had an option to upgrade to a regular Corner Suite for an additional $50 per night (which I did). I checked in on Friday, July 6th for 10 nights and asked about an upgrade from the Corner Suite, since I was Gold. Because it was the tail end of the weird July 4th holiday, and several events were taking place in town, they did not have any availability for an upgrade until Sunday, but I followed up and they did indeed switch me to a beautiful Panoramic Corner Suite with a City View for the remainder of my stay.

15. Reed

Reed High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's how I read it as well. My Platinum level expired at the end of April, but I will only be about 42,000 points away when I head out in October and will hit it no problem then - that will make my level Platinum through October 2013 since I am moving up a level again.

Not that it is a big deal to me, but this will be a constant Gold - Platinum - Gold - Platinum cycle. It is no problem to hit this in two trips, but if my trips are more than six months apart I will be drifting between the two levels and having to re-earn it.

16. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if that's the system, it's dumb. you come in before your tier expires and you earn a bunch of TCs, but it only extends your expiration date a few months. you come in after your tier expires and you earn the same TCs and you get another year. the logical way is every time you have a trip and your TCs are above the threshold, your tier gets extended for another year. sure you could potentially game the system by having a big trip and showing up 11 months later and earning just a few TCs and getting another year, but at least that way it doesn't screw over people who happen to plan trips before their tier expires.

17. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I agree, it IS dumb. I am Gold and dropped slightly below 75,000 Tier credits from my last trip. My expiration is September, so I figured by earning plenty of Tier Credits I would now be Gold until July 2013 and could just go and pick up my new card, but no dice - I was told by the supervisor at the Aria Player's Desk that they go by your expiration date and that no matter how many Tier Credits you accumulate prior to that expiration, if enough points drop off before your expiration date you then drop to whatever MLife card level that puts you at.

I have more than enough points now but I think that is a sucky system, to say the least.

18. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't go to CET properties in Las Vegas but I like their system of attaining and keeping your tier status.
    If you earn 11K tier points in one year you keep it through the following calender year.
    Simple,easy to understand,you make it by December or you don't.
    Start over in January.

19. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Too bad this is confusing, but I just realized there is another way of looking at this. Of course, you have to figure out when your current one will expire. But, assume you know.

And you reached Plat on Nov 1 last year. By design, you are Plat for 12 months, right?

Okay, but then Nov 2012 comes around. If you have EARNED enough points in the past 12 months, then you get it again. Right?

Now I am confused. What if your earned the 200k from Sept to Sept? Should that not qualify me as Plat for a year? Or are they saying I have to earn 200k between Nov and Nov?

20. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the way i understand it now, it's like CET, but it starts with when you first earn the tier instead of the calendar year. so just like earning 11k points at CET from Nov to Nov does you no good unless you earned them all in one calendar year, earning 200k TCs from Sept to Sept if your expiration date is in Nov does you no good. and it's actually an upgrade from CET because they don't ever reset all your points. if you earn gold in Nov, you can come back the next Sept and tack on more points and earn Platinum. at CET your points would be reset at the end of the year so coming back the next year you'd be starting at 0.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.