1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

My Opinion of Platinum Hotel and Spa for a Wedding

Discussion in 'Vegas Weddings' started by raraavis, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am going to do a review of each wedding venue I visited, and the first section of each review will be the “Background.” If you have already read the background from another one of my reviews, feel free to skip to the actual venue review.

Background
    I got engaged in December 2011. After a month or so of trying to settle on a state (yes, I said state), we decided on Nevada (Las Vegas specifically of course). My family/friends are primarily in Michigan; fiancé’s (we’ll call him J from now on) are in New York City area. We live in NJ. If we had it in either Michigan or NJ, we would have well over 250 guests since we assumed that most people would be willing to make the drive (or short flight if they choose) to either location (p.s. we have many friends in Long Island, and it would be at least a 1.5 hr drive for them to come to our area in NJ). Then J kept saying it wouldn’t be fair to his friends and family if we got married in Michigan (where it is at least half the cost of NJ weddings btw). So I countered with the same argument for my friends and family, haha. We were at a stalemate. Well I had mentioned Vegas when we first got engaged and told J it is my number 1 choice. But J was hesitant about having a destination wedding. After thinking of the pros and cons of being married in the mitten (aka, Michigan) or in NJ, J finally agreed that Las Vegas was actually the most practical and fun thing to do. Next on the list was to make sure our very closest family and friends would be ok with flying to Vegas for our wedding because frankly they are the only ones that matter!

We booked a good deal at Bally’s for Sun-Thurs and stayed with my dad the other days of the trip (he lives there). My initial plan was to see 13 venues, but I decided not to see the two at mt. Charleston. So I only saw 11 venues over the course of 3 days. It was a lot!!

Basically the type of wedding I want is a non-religious ceremony followed by a traditional wedding reception. I do not want to get married in what I deem a “wedding factory”, which is what some of the venues I saw felt like. In the same regard, I do not want a chapel wedding at all. I did check on the strip, but nothing met our needs or was within our budget. I began my search in January and finally narrowed it down for our June trip. My tastes revolve around golf/country clubs apparently. We are planning for a Thursday wedding in October 2013.

Platinum Hotel and Spa

211 E. Flamingo Road, Las Vegas, NV 89169
    http://www.theplatinumhotel.com/weddings/

I met with Jamie at 4:30 on Friday June 17. She had already toured my dad and his fiancée (my dad went there for me and not for himself). He and his fiancée really liked the venue and loved Jamie. I can honestly say the same thing. The venue is nice, but Jamie makes it great. This is the only venue we visit that would not require extra transportation since it is a block behind Bally’s (it’s behind the 7-11 that is next to Ellis Island). Its location is a huge plus.

Jamie shows us the different locations they offer (I didn’t take any pictures because they have plenty of pictures on their website). There is the Misora Terrace or the pool deck for the ceremony and Misora reception room or Kilowat Restaurant for the reception. I actually liked the Misora Terrace for the ceremony and the Kilowat for the reception. But in order to do that combination, I would have to book both areas (and that is way too expensive). So this is my conundrum for this venue. I like it a lot, but I really want the combo. Hmmm, something for me to think about.

After viewing the different sites, we sit and talk with Jamie for about an hour. She is super helpful and patient with me and all of my questions. A big plus for this place is they give you a complimentary suite on your wedding night, so we don’t have to go anywhere from the reception. Also in regards to this, the Platinum is the only place we saw that was a hotel. This means I can get ready in my own room that I shared with my bridemaids the night before. She said we could keep the same room for our wedding night so I don’t have to move any of my stuff or check out. The convenience is amazing. Another big plus? They have an all-inclusive package. By that, I mean they provide floral, photography, DJ, food, drink, etc. I believe the only thing we would have to contract is the cake (which I know can be pricey).

The big con for me for this place is the lack of mountain views. I absolutely love mountain views (I’ve grown up and lived in areas that do not have mountains). Ok, yes there are mountain views technically, but there are a bunch of buildings in the way. The view of the strip is good but not. It is so close to the strip that you don’t get a nice panoramic shot like you do from the other venues I saw. Ugh, decisions decisions.

Here are the prices for a Thursday wedding:
    $10,500 (up to 60), add $125 per person past 60
    $12,500 (up to 80 guests), add $125 per person past 60

Included in that is:
    Ceremony-Officiant, ceremony site, table for sand or unity candle ceremony, banquet ceremony chairs, coordination, bottled water station for guests, rehearsal.
    Reception-table linens in black or brown or ivory, 12x12 dance table, champagne toast for everyone.

As I said, it is an all-inclusive package. So in addition to what I just listed, they provide a lot of stuff. Check out their wedding package on their website for all the info: http://www.theplatinumhotel.com/pdf/Platinum_Wedding_Kit.pdf

Overall, Platinum is in my top five. Even though they include most everything, there are still a few more expenses for the upgrades we would want and also for the cake. You can’t beat their location (a block from the strip) since most of my guests will be staying on the strip as it is their first time in Vegas. I highly recommend Platinum for a wedding, and talk to Jamie!

2. vegasdrea

vegasdrea Buckle Bunny

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I chose the Platinum for it's proximity to the Strip and because I just love the Misora Lounge . My old roomie had her reception there last year and I just Loved Loved Loved the venue. Like you we didn't want a Vegas chapel or a hotel on the Strip, I felt that the chapels and the hotels on the Strip couldn't accommodate our count and I didn't feel like the options on the Strip hotels were going to give us the traditional wedding and reception (dinner, dancing, bar, etc) we want. The food at the Platinum is DIVINE! We did our menu tasting in May and I can't wait to have dinner there now! We really wanted an all inclusive package because like you I didn't want to hunt down vendors. Jamie is so amazingly sweet. She has been an absolute dream to work with, she's so attentive and doesn't bat an eyelash at any request I have and always answers all of my questions. The only complaint I have was that I was originally assigned to a coordinator named Miya and then all of a sudden Jamie was emailing me and I was so confused because I didn't know who my direct contact was, but Jamie introduced herself and hasn't missed a beat! I think Jamie is fairly new to the Platinum, but she is so professional and just a sweetie! Nicole who is the sales manager was awesome too. I am so excited for our wedding and I just can't wait!

I can also give you the name of our bakery where we got our cake. The cake was yummy and it was a couple hundred dollars cheaper than everywhere else I looked.

3. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that's awesome to hear! :thumbsup: they are in my top 5 for the reasons you mention. and when i say top 5, i don't even know what number to give it because there are 3 that share the number 1 spot as of now (platinum is one of those 3). we really need to sit and figure out the exact costs of things. if we go with a place other than platinum, we will have to tack on probably $4000 more for outside vendors (dj, photo, floral).

well by time you get married, i will have already booked, but i still look forward to hearing about your experience! :wave:

4. LadyRose

LadyRose High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love staying at the Platinum. I think you would be very happy there. Fab rooms, close to strip, full kitchens. Oh and the huge 2 person tubs!!!!

Congrats on your upcoming wedding :)

5. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks so much for the input! i am very tempted to choose platinum simply for the positive reviews it receives as a hotel.

6. cloudi63

cloudi63 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My brother and his wife, which by the way also got married in Vegas, it will be 4 years in Aug. they stayed at the Platinum. They got married elsewhere, however they held a reception in their suite, of which they had gone to Costco, they purchased meat trays, veggie trays, fruit trays, etc. They purchased all the alcohol, before departing they're home in Mesa AZ, They're best man, is a part-time bartender/realtor, anyway he did the bar-tending, they're suite was a one bedroom and I have to say it accommodated about 50 people, very comfortably! although they had a rather large wedding guest list, but not all could make it for what they called a "get aquatinted reception" before they're wedding day. The place was beautiful.

7. billwhitaker

billwhitaker Guest

I am planning my reception for my wedding in November, and I really like the idea of having a reception at the Platinum. I am going to pretty much do the same thing as you, because your description sounds perfect for my party too. Do you have any additional advice or wisdom for me before I go ahead and book it? Thanks!

8. cloudi63

cloudi63 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

My sis-inlaw calls it a "cocktail party" I called it a "get acquainted" party..lol, anyway, they did not notify the front desk that they were having this party, my sis-inlaw said, she had thoughts of they're guest being stopped, and it not going off so well, however in the end no one got stopped, everyone knew which floor/room to go to. Her only requirement was that everyone must be dressed in dress attire, so for the guys it was jeans or dress slacks, paired with nice dress shirts and dress shoes, no one had tennis shoes on, the ladies all had dresses or dress slacks and heels/dressy sandals no shorts : ) "it being august" I had thought the alcohol was purchased before they left home in Mesa AZ, but that was not the case, it was purchased in Vegas, with the exception of they're best man, who had made a few purchases, of alcohol before leaving home (maybe not a good idea, if God forbid he had gotten stopped for speeding, just saying is all). She said having the full sized kitchen was very convenient/nice, everything was set out very nicely, plastic-ware, plates, napkins, cups (yep no fancy glasses, unless you call cutesy plastic cups "nice", she said not to forget CD's since there is an ipod dock in the living-room, to play music. It turned out very classy/beautiful/nice/fun, don't stress, get everything done ahead of time, so you have some time to relax before the evening. They just celebrated they're 4th wedding anniversary, ours was much different, as we got married at the Bellagio, just celebrated our 3rd year. Congrats and oh yeah make sure to warn your guest, if they aren't familiar with the "Platinum" that although it is very classy, it is "non-gaming"

9. billwhitaker

billwhitaker Guest

Looks like we are actually going to have our wedding in Chicago, so I am planning to have the reception at the Hotel Monaco Chicago. I hear it is a great hotel, and I am looking forwards to it. Has anyone ever been to a party at this hotel?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2012
  10. Mingoun29

Mingoun29 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sept. 2014

In the process of researching venues for my wedding this is my all time favorite. I've read reviews on some of the places you have reviewed and share your concerns- so thank you for your through reviews. We currently live in Oklahoma and planning a destination wedding has become extremely stressful. My major drawback is my budget as we just purchased a new home- our budget is $12,000 max- and we want a weekend wedding being that your quote last year for a weekday wedding is quite frightening. I have read most of your reviews but would like to know your top 5 to determine if I can find another venue (all inclusive) within my budget any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

11. Mingoun29

Mingoun29 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sept. 2014 con'td

Typing from my phone

Being that your quote was quite frightening for a weekday I'm not so sure about this place. I do love that the floral and everything (except the cake) is included. We want I change the color if the linens and I am wondering based on photos whatsoever considered standard and what may be an upgrade for the florals and etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.