1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

$50 off Spirit Airlines, today only

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by hammie, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $50 off Spirit Airlines, extended to July 12

To receive $50 off your next roundtrip purchase, just enter 50OFF in the promotion code box when booking a qualifying flight. All flights must be booked by 11:59 PM ET on July 12 for travel starting from July 13, 2012 through November 14, 2012.

Coupon usage also excludes travel between the following (in both directions):
    Atlantic City to/from Myrtle Beach, Buffalo/Niagara Falls to/from Myrtle Beach, Boston to/from Fort Lauderdale, Detroit to/from Los Angeles, Los Angeles to/from Chicago, New York-LaGuardia to/from Chicago.

Factor in the cost of carry on luggage or checked luggage, buy a beverage and a pack of peanuts at the news stand in the terminal, and if you can endure sitting in a seat with 28" of pitch, and if you are less than 6' tall and 250 lbs., this might work for you. It worked for me twice.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  2. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for letting me know.

It was looking like I was going to ditch Spirit for Delta (limited options for non-stops from Detroit) for my upcoming trip as my previous research was showing similar prices and slightly better times for Delta.

But the Delta options have changed, and it looks like Spirit had already dropped its rates for my travel days. The discount just about covers the baggage fees, so now it looks like this will save me $100 or so over Delta.

Only downside of booking today is I haven't booked the days off work yet and boss is away. First vegas gamble of the trip?

3. Shelbymae

Shelbymae Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Just remember that Spirit is not an easy airline to deal with if you have to change, modify, or cancel.

4. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know, but thanks for the reminder.

And all the airlines I know are terrible when it comes to modifying/etc. I once got into a great fight with US airways when trying to change my flight to go out a day earlier.

Was trying to beat a snowstorm, so went to the airport a day early, went up to the desk, and asked about getting an early departure. She said it would cost difference in the tickets + a $100 change fee. I asked if I could still take my return flight if I departed on another airline, and she said yes, but I had to call the 1-800 to let them know or they'd cancel my ticket. Found a cheap one way with Spirit, called the # before boarding, and they told me they would have to charge the $100 change fee. I walked the cell phone back to the US airways desk, and got the clerk there arguing with the one on the phone. They argued for 5 minutes about whether they could do it, and then the girl said "whatever, I'll just do it myself", and did it there. So I avoided the change fee, although it probably cost about 15 bucks in cell roaming charges.

5. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few months ago, I booked two tickets on Spirit and the next day I received a promotional $50 off a round trip flight. I went online to see if the fare changed and if I could plug in the coupon code and it worked. I called Spirit to cancel my original flight as I had 24 hours to do so and rebooked online, no problems because I had 24 hours to cancel. Saved $100.

6. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry flown them once --They sucked more than current Admin..

Code:
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/travel/spirit.html

7. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree that Spirit has some problems . . . but I can get some great deals to both Vegas and Florida. A few years ago we flew to Ft. Lauderdale in February . . . away from the snow and cold. Total price for 3 people including taxes and fees = $106.00

Last week I booked a trip to Vegas for my husband and myself. Delta was showing a price of $740.00. I booked with Spirit for a little over $400.00. . .since I had saved on the flight; I booked the big front seats because i have to use a shoe horn to get my husband in a normal seat!:licklips:

8. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This sale was extended one day, original post edited to reflect new dates.

There are a lot of complaints lodged against Spirit, but I believe many of these are because customers don't understand the fees that go with the low fare. Its pretty clear that you have to pay for checked luggage and carry on and you are given three opportunities to pay in advance for baggage: when you book, when you check in 24 hours before the flight, and at the curb on the day of your flight. Spirit does not want customers to walk up to the gate and pay at the last minute for baggage as it takes time and labor to do so, it delays boarding, some folks don't use credit cards so they have to handle cash.

One complaint was from a customer that waited in line at the gate for 20 minutes and didn't realize the plane pulled away and claimed there was no final boarding call. Seriously?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.