1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Stolen CC number in Vegas

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by shokhead, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So looking at our CC bill we see a credit check from Experian for 19.95 from the time we were in Vegas. First we didn't do it and sure as heck wouldn't have while in Vegas. So we call Experian and they say someone in korea tried to set something up. They refunded our money. Then we called our CC company and they said that's nice, your account is fine. Oh well, charge the shit out of it because we woun't owe. Now maybe a heads up to check your stuff because we only used it at Bally's and Bills steak house, Bally's pool and GN cafe. That's it. Someone took it and sold it to someone I guess.

2. hondo230

hondo230 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Similar thing happened to us

Wife only used card for Presidential Limo. 2 days later, we are called by CC company. Fraud purchases conducted. It was definitely 1 of their own employees.

3. wlt

wlt Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On our last trip June 15-20, we used a credit card we had not used in 4 years to book the flights online with southwest and to book our rental car with Thrifty. Two days before we were to leave we get a call from the CC company someone was using our card. I figured it had to be Thrifty and called them to let them know they had a problem and they immediatly told me it couldn't possibly be them and were not interested in hearing anything about it.

4. MisterJJ

MisterJJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I suspect that rental car companies are a major source of credit card number theft. We're pretty sure that's what happened in Florida. Someone bought a bunch of gift cards using our number. The credit card company couldn't care less about information on where the number was stolen from. I think the credit card companies like to see large fraud losses so they can justify whatever interest rates they want.

5. itsedjusted

itsedjusted Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only time I was a victim of anything like that it was my fault. I dropped my atm card near the machine. I got a call from my bank within the hour saying someone tried to unsuccessfully buy gas twice and managed to do it once. Most of the pumps in Vegas require your zipcode. The thief tried a couple without luck until he found one that didn't require a zipcode.

6. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree the banks aren't interested in finding the thieves. The one time I had fraud charges on my card, it was to flowers.com. I told the bank they could have the police pay a visit to whoever received the flowers. They weren't interested in following up. I don't think they ignore the investigations because they want to charge more. (They can charge more whenever they want.) I think it's because they are simply not the victim. They didn't pay flowers.com. They reversed the charges on my statement, so I am not the victim. The actual victim is flowers.com, who didn't get paid for product and services because they didn't confirm the legitimacy of the credit card. Not the bank's problem.

7. earth-3

earth-3 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think credit card theft is so wide spred, no one has the staff, or time, to pursue individual cases. They are happy enough just to cut down the losses from the customer alerts they receive.

8. Sklem211

Sklem211 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure about the U.S., but in Canada since March 2011, the card issuer (Visa, Mastercard) is liable for any fraudulent activities done with the card IF that card is chip/pin enabled and that was the method used for the fraudulent transaction. However, if businesses didn't update their POS terminals to accept chip/pin technology, they are liable for the fraudulent purchases made after March 2011 if it was something that could have been avoided by updating to accept chip/pin. This leads me to believe that the issuing card company was liable for fraudulent purchases even when swipe/signature was used in the past, so it was costing them and still is in some cases.

9. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If the person trying to use it was in Korea, I wouldn't assume that Vegas is where someone got the number.

It could be, don't get me wrong.

But I'd take a close look at whats on my computer if I were you.

10. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's my computer have to do with it?

11. VegasL0ver

VegasL0ver Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got a Moneybookers CC just to withdrawal money from the ATM's in Vegas. In March 2012 I was withdrawing money 300$ a day (MAX) at Bellagio and ARIA. Just a couple of weeks ago, in June, I got an email from MB saying my CC was being blocked because CC was been used "at an unsafe location".

So now my CC isnt working anymore and I have to pay 15$ to get a new one. Isn't this ridiculous?

I told MB that it was me withdrawing money and no one else. They said they couldn't do anything about it due Mastercards terms of conditions.

And now... I am pissed.

12. Kbaby Girl

Kbaby Girl Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WOW

I guess this could happen anywhere but, it sucks to happen on vacation! :nono:
    Sorry you had to deal with this! I hope it is cleared up VERY soon!

13. MisterJJ

MisterJJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. Twice I've had to get new CC's issued due to fraud and I've never had to pay a dime.

14. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe related to him/her not living in US?

I also have never had to pay for a new one, but what a pain to change all the auto-pay accounts when they issue a new card.

15. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was thinking the same thing. Not sure if Vegas had anything to do with this. As to the computer comment... I guess and only guessing the poster was asking if you do any transactions on your computer with credit card.

That $19.95 thing seems weird. I am thinking there is more to this story. Such a low number. You mentioned Experian, so maybe this was for a credit check?

16. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be carefull at ATM'S

Watch for those fake fronts thieves snap on,they can have your number and your pin.I dont know whether they are still pulling this in some places ,but it never hurts to be carefull.

17. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm saying are you sure the number was stolen by someone in Vegas, and not stolen when you entered it online (either because of an unsecured site or because your computer has been compromised).

Because from your initial post, the only thing you have linking the attempt to Vegas was the timing of when someone tried to use the #.

18. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's never been used online. I have another that's for online only. It hadn't been used for 5 days before going to Vegas and then on the 4th of 5 days it was used and it wasn't by me. It kinda narrows it down for me at least.

19. 4dazeoff

4dazeoff Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn, just checked my online statement for my credit card as I usually do once a week and find a charge for $21.20 under "experian". Immediately call my crdit card rep and am handed off to the disputed charges dept.. After a few questions she calls experian and we are on a 3 way conference call. Experian rep asks a few questions and then asks if I authorized "Robert F." to set a a credit reporting monthly service. Hell no I tell them and ask the last name of "Robert F." Sorry, that's confidential! WTF? So a criminal is fraudulently using MY card but he's protected? Anyways, they immediately say they will remove the charge and the CC rep says I need to cancel my card and get a new one. Transfer me to the fraud dept. and more questions. They were really good about it and will transfer everything over and UPS the new cards overnight. Pretty good service but I haver no clue who this SOB is and how he got my CC number. This is the reason I diligantly check my online statement but it still sucks! Have to change over all my accounts that have my old number and update everything. Oh well, guess it could be worse!
    Rant over but make sure you check your financial accounts regularly so you don't get screwed! Good luck all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.