1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A few more SWA questions...

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by djegators, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djegators

djegators Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1. If I book a flight, and add on a hotel or car, and then re-book, will I get credit for the whole thing, or can you cancel the flight only?

2. If someone else cancels and rebooks, and gets a credit, can someone else use their credit?

Thanks again.

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know about #1.
    #2-No. You used to be able to give the credit away, not any longer. Names have to match.

3. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know the answer to your first question and the best thing to do is to call Southwest Airlines Customer Service or SouthwestVacations Customer Service to get the correct information. They are different entities within the Southwest Corp.

When I started flying Southwest, not only were they the only airline (to my knowledge) to allow you to change flights without a hefty penalty fee, but they would give you a credit that could be used for a later trip (had to be completed by date of original booking) but it was transferable. A spouse or other family member or, even a friend could use it by entering your last name and confirmation # when they were paying for the flight on checkout. Several years ago they did away with any kind of transferring, even to a spouse. The credit had to be for a ticket for the same person the cancelled ticket was issued to.

If you call and get an answer to question #1, please post it here. I booked my first combo this year with SWA on one of their Jackpot deals. I prefer to book separately but without across the board internet sales for the last 2 years when I attend a show in LV, it was the only savings I could find that was substantial. I always check several days with the hotel to make sure reservations were in place. I called and they nad no clue abut 5 days before and it took 3 calls to the hotel and 2 to SWA to get it straightened out. It worked out OK but I felt better when I had booked through Kayak.com and Booking.com in the past. Hope this helps!

Jimbo338

4. djegators

djegators Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That does suck about not transferring credits...as some people I will be traveling with rarely if ever fly.

As for question one, I was curious because I know with the SWA vacations, it is really difficult to cancel and rebook, so I was hoping doing it the other way was better....I'll let you know what I find out.

5. djegators

djegators Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am also wondering if you can use a SW credit on a SW vacation package?

6. djegators

djegators Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From looking on their site, it does say you can cancel hotel as well, no fee.

southwest.com is your one-stop shop for all of your travel needs. In addition to our legendary low air fares, we've got great deals on hotels and cars too!

Hotel - $0 Southwest Cancel Fees, Choose from 40,000 Hotels, Earn Rapid Rewards Points; Car - Guaranteed low rates, 14+ Car Rental Companies, Earn Rapid Rewards Points

7. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it's done through Southwest VACATIONS I would say NO.........I no longer book anything through SW Vacations.......VERY hard people to deal with........we fought for 6 months to get our miles credited to our SWA account after flying to and from Vegas......they finally gave us credit ONLY to Vegas and I finally gave up trying to get the miles credit for the return flight......

8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will try to guess what the question is. Which part are you re-booking, flight, car or hotel?

When you re-book a flight, you actually CANCEL the first one, then book another.

As to car or hotel, it depends if it is a package deal. When I have rented a car via SW, it was a totally separate transaction, therefore.... well you get it.

As to the credit if you or a friend CANCEL a flight. Try some other airlines like Delta. You will get NOTHING.

9. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

This one is a definite NO! I called to ask the same question. Southwest and SouthwestVacations are separate entities although the same company and do not honor each other's credits.

Jimbo338

10. djegators

djegators Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I am not referring to book thru SW Vacations, I am talking booking a flight, and then adding on a room or a car during the process. Wondering if I can cancel all or part of the booking, and so on. Looks like you can, so that it might make it a better option than SW Vacations if that is a concern.

11. djegators

djegators Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That confirms my hunch, thanks.

12. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you gone through and seen if you are getting a deal by booking them at the same time?

I have never booked a hotel through southwest so I can't comment on that. Two cars I booked through southwest were 100% cancelable.

My experience with cars though is that southwest wasn't taking my money. I was booking a budget car through them, but my money would be going to budget. I don't even think my card was charged. I would actually expect the same with hotels as well. My expectations is that they are simply a portal to the cars/hotels for you and not actually getting payment.

As many have mentioned above southwest vacations is completely different. They are acting like a travel agent where you are paying them and then they pay the other vendor.

13. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I think you are correct. I booked last year at the last minute when just about all the deals had expired and the good flights .....and rooms had gotten taken or were very expensive. I dealt with the inconvenience cause I thought I needed the trip for my mental health well being (to keep my sanity). I called the hotel about 5 days before my arrival to make sure my reservations were in place......they had no clue. It was one of SW's Jackpot specials. So I called SWA who gave me a Jackpotspecial phone #. I was told they (the hotel would be notified). I called a day or two later and they had no reservations for me. I called SW again and the Customer Service gal talked to the hotel, then called whoever was supposed to have sent the information and then called the hotel again, and then called me. I checked in ontime and was apprehensive. The registration lady said, "I have no reservations for you." She then winked, and gave me a big smile, and finished,"just kidding!" She was the one on duty when SW called and straightened out the reservation. It just seemed tha tthere was someone besides Southwest and the airlines involved.

I would much rather separate the flight and hotel but if the price is substantialy less as a package, I am ok with giving up some control but I always call so they know who I am and if nothing else will remember me! I always call and check hotel reservations anyway even when I book directly with the hotel. It is a lot simpler than arriving and finding that they lost you in the system.

Jimbo338

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.