1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Who has used Enterprise?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by allustoms, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allustoms

allustoms Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've searched through the car rental posts but couldn't find anyone that had used Enterprise.

I have an SUV booked with Alamo but the rate is 3 times as high as I paid last year. (the SUV was cheaper than a compact car on the day I booked -weird). I know I have a while to go but the rates have gone up over $100 since I booked.

Today I found a deal where I can get a premium car for $200 all fees in (still double what I got a premium for last year). My concern is it is with Enterprise. I have used them in the past in other cities, but I was wondering if they have a jump the line for club members, or do we run the risk of having to wait in line to check in and the get the hard up sell at the counter.

What I like best about Alamo is the self serve check-in.

Anyone used them lately??

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i use Enterprise always. in fact i think only maybe once i used someone else ever before. but never in Vegas, so i can't say for sure what they do there. they are always the cheapest, but they can definitely be a pain in the ass. if i rented more often i would probably use somewhere else. but if it's a couple hundred cheaper for a full size for a week, it's worth dealing with some hassles. they don't guarantee your car so you often show up and they don't have what you reserved. occasionally that means they put you into something better, but often they try to put you in something worse and hope you don't notice. one time the guy said he didn't have my full size, but i could take the midsize he had and it'd be cheaper. i asked how much cheaper and he said $8 for the week. i'm like, yeah, that's why i reserved the full size, idiot. but as long as you have the time to wait, they will get the car you want from one of their other locations. in most cities they have several locations, so it's not that bad.

3. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have used them twice, last trip in may was with them. I didn’t wait long either time, they did try to up sell but only asked once. Both times I reserved the cheapest car, but when we went downstairs, they gave me my choice of cars. First time was a Nissan, (I think) in may I got a brand new Camry. I used rentalcars.com

I deal with all the rental companies locally. (thru my work) most counter people are dumb as rocks. Not Enterprise, I was told its because they only hire college grads, Not sure if that’s true or not.

4. ValerieJo

ValerieJo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always use Enterprise as well. I also use them locally as our Corporate account. Whenever I rent a car from them, I've also rented the cheapest car and have been upgraded at no extra cost. Only one time in Vegas we used Budget and the line was really long with at least a 45 minute wait and no apologies, no upgrade nothing. Did not have to wait at Enterprise. I've always had very good service with them.

5. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Never any problems with any of my Enterprise rentals. In fact, I've had better experience with them than all others.

6. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done Enterprise in Las Vegas both on business and pleasure. No issues. Probably my current second choice in the LV market.

In Las Vegas, Enterprise is just like the other rental car places. In other markets, Enterprise will usually pick you up (like if you're stranded at home or at the repair shop).

Yes, you can choose your car from what's available in your class. IIRC, National does that too.

7. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enterprise is my first choice when looking for a car rental. If their price is only a little more, I'll use them.

8. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My only issue with enterprise is that they have done the hard sell at the car. I've never rented from them in Vegas so maybe this was different. On 2 different occasions(the only times I've rented Enterprise), I get to the counter and I'm done within 2 minutes tops. They never tried an upsell. Of course this was too good to be true as they did all the upselling when I was walking around the car...

9. Bruinfan1

Bruinfan1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Vegas, is Enterprise set up like a typical airport shop (Enterprise Plus line, pre-printed rental forms, no walk-around) or like their typical local shop? Hand-held return receipt printers/agents? I know they're in the rental center, but I've not checked them out.

I assume that like most Enterprise shops they do not allow off-airport returns without a fee? And vice versa - can't return a local rental to the airport w/o fee?

10. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I exclusively use National/Enterprise and love them... their group in Vegas is top-notch and I have had a few small issues, which were more than satisfactorily resolved.

11. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband and I own 1 car and 1 motorcycle. The odd time that we need a 2nd vehicle, we use Enterprise. I've never had a problem with them. They have a location by our house. One of the guys I work with has a 2nd job there. I do what other people have mentioned, I book the cheapest thing they have online and they usually give me a free upgrade when I get there because they don't have the cheapo car I booked on the lot. I have had it backfire on me and I ended up with a 2 door hatchback of some kind. I didn't care but fyi. In Vegas I have used Budget and Enterprise despite my anti rental car in Vegas stance. No real issues with either. My husband booked a rental for our upcoming trip with Hotwire. I've used Hotwire a lot for Niagara Falls and Toronto hotels, but not for a car rental, mainly because of the 24 hour minimum...when you need a car right now, you need a car right now. Anyway, it ended up being with Hertz. That's another option if you're OK with some risk. The only thing I'm not brave enough for is the local car rental places in Vegas, the non national ones. I won't mention their names. I haven't felt comfortable with renting from them.

12. allustoms

allustoms Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks everyone. Today my rate at Alamo finally started to drop, over $100. So now I have both Alamo and Enterprise booked. I guess I'll just keep watching and see who ends up lowest just before we leave.

I may try booking a smaller car as well with Enterprise.

And the car rental game is on - I get as much of a thrill watching the rates fall as I do playing slots. :evillaugh

13. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We use them in Vegas, and just used them in Oakland to go to Tahoe and back to S.F.....we love them as they are NOT rocks but intelligent and not abusive / insulting if you choose to refuse additional insurance etc. They assume (I assume) you are an intelligent adult and will make intelligent decisions for yourself and accept consequences....We use the office on Flamingo Road as we stay at the Orleans and they will pick us up and take us back. We often go in Fall months when they have the 39.99 $ special from Friday thru Monday....the Weekender or something.... they are somewhat upfront about damage and show you the size of a problem whether ding or chip on windshield....we take pictures sometimes prior to accepting our car and they stand back rather than ? our motives....... We like them and feel you won't feel poorly after using them. Give an update after renting if you use them.....

14. ejeffo

ejeffo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not a fan of Enterprise and will likely not use them again unless I absolutely have to. A couple of years ago I rented a car for one of my Vegas trips from San Diego. I told them I wanted a full size car. No problem. When I got there, there was nothing on the lot. I settled for a Nissan Maxima that had just been turned in. It wasn't too bad... until I came over the hill into Vegas and the brakes started grinding terribly. I called Enterprise and they said to take it to McCarran the next morning and get another car. I show up the next day... they have nothing for me to take... WTF? There are hundreds of cars here... It turns out they would only give me a clunker that had to go back to California. If I wanted to drive a clunker, I would have rented one. I got a nicer car because I don't like driving clunkers. I called the shop I rented it from and they said they would talk to them and "straighten it out." Oh boy... they give me a piece of shit PT Cruiser. (Sorry PT Cruiser fans, but they are utter and complete garbage.) I told them I am not going to do their interstate transportation for them when I am paying for a better car. They tell me that is my only choice. Arguing got me nowhere, calling corporate got me nowhere, etc. etc. After driving that deathtrap back to California I get back to the store I rented it from and laid into the manager. He told me all of the things they "could have" done and "should have" done. A day late and a dollar short, pal. They gave me a few dollars off... ooooh, thanks guys! Oh and they promised me a "great deal" for my next rental. I told them where they could put their great deal..

I have learned to suck it up and fly from now on.

15. Bruinfan1

Bruinfan1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To summarize the previous post...Enterprise operates on a very independent franchise model. They expect the car to be returned to the same place as it was rented; if not they'll too-often drive the car back to its "home" on your dime. If the vehicle breaks down, it's the outlet you rented it from (or perhaps a group of local outlets owned by the same company) that is responsible for getting you back on the road. If you don't like the customer service, the buck often stops at the outlet's counter...not necessarily Enterprise Corp. HQ. The concept of a nationwide chain is pretty thin when it comes to Enterprise, in general. (Airport locations can be a bit different.)

The "airport majors" OTOH offer much more reciprocity. Not perfect, but better than Enterprise. When renting with a major, my two philosophies were, "Don't worry, it's rental" and "If it breaks, toss the old keys at the nearest rental location, grab a new car, and off I go." Thankfully never tested the second one. Neither of those thoughts regularly applies to Enterprise.

Doesn't mean someone should or shouldn't rent from Enterprise.

16. pass line man

pass line man VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FYI, Enterprise Holdings Inc operates three brands... Enterprise, Alamo, and National. All owned privately by the same family. With the merger and subsequent intergration of some things the "out of state" car thing isnt really a problem anymore. They still have a lot of local control, but car sharing is easier. And yes, they hire predomiantly college graduates for our front line jobs,with the hopes that they will be the next managers.

They try to be the best, and are judged for everything on customer service score. Of course, there will be times when we drop the ball, that's what happens in the customer service business, and well...stuff just happens sometimes. Obviously everyone will have their fans and are entitled to their opinions, other rental companies have earned their customers as well based on what makes each of those companies special.

(***Obvious full disclosure---I have worked for EHI for many years, and they have been very good to me***)

17. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

18. Bruinfan1

Bruinfan1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the update. Out-of-state is one thing; airport drop fees are another. Has corporate instituted a policy to allow a drop at any location within the Metro area at no charge, including airports? Except airports? Or is it still location-specific policy? Would you say that Enterprise is becoming more like National...or that National is becoming more like Enterprise? Or is the idea to keep the brands offering distinct products to distinct clientele? What I wouldn't want to do is walk into an Enterprise excepting National-like policies...unless that's actually the case.

Smartone: I look for "consideration" from a company to demonstrate that the foul-up is an exception, that the company recognizes that it's an exception, that they want to offer something for my time and trouble, and that they are prepared to re-earn their business relationship with me. A few times it's an apology (because that's the "consideration" the situation warranted) but many times it's some small compensation, preferably with no strings attached. The greater the compensation, the more comfortable I feel that this was an exceptional event (or else the company would go out of business). Often a phone number or e-mail contact is great consideration: "I'm prepared to listen to you personally should this ever happen again" demonstrates a high degree of confidence, wouldn't you say?

19. ejeffo

ejeffo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As I told the "apologizing" manager... I work in the service industry, and these days, the bare minimum is unacceptable. Period.

20. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well put!!! :nworthy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.