1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Fox Rent A Car: Are they as bad as the review say?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by eltgabs, Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eltgabs

eltgabs Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Booked them for $52 for 3 days, but I just read reviews on Yelp and they all seem really awful. Anybody here ever rent from them and what was your expreience?

Thanks

2. sonicreducer

sonicreducer Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rented with them once before in Vegas. No issues, just avoid the upsell at the counter and document the car well (scratches, scuffs, stained seat or floorboard, etc). They provide a little slip for this, I also use my cell phone to take pictures or videos of the car.

Return at the time you specify, I read somewhere they may charge you extra for returning early; as well as late.

The only thing that sucks is their rental location is not with the rest of the car rental companies. You take a shuttle from the airport to the consolidated rental car area and then take an additional shuttle to their location. Factor an additional 15 minutes before you get to the airport.

(this was 2 years ago, things may have changed).

3. volfaninbama

volfaninbama High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have used them twice with no issues and big savings over the other
    Rental companies.

4. westie

westie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have used them 4-5 times without a problem. For the first time in March, I noticed my credit card had been charged the entire cost of my rental plus $100 on the day I picked up the car. The additional $100 is for damages and is refunded a few days after the car is returned.

5. Jeremiah9us

Jeremiah9us Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have used them 6 or 7 times, they were better a couple years ago, as the last time I rented with them it was complete chaos cuz their car wash was not working and it was total disorganazation. They didnt have enough cars on the lot, and were handwashing cars as they returned to give out to the next renter inline. It wasted about 1.5 hours waiting around for the car. That being said they are normally way cheaper because they are not in the car rental facilty so I will give them one more shot.

6. BnV226

BnV226 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rented from them in Vegas and in San Diego - to me, all rental car agencies are the same. Know your stuff before you step up to the counter - a quick sales pitch on insurance asked me "full-coverage or state minimum" - to which I replied, "I have my own insurance...no such thing as state minimum with that" - But I like the Vegas lot, you get to choose any car that's available in your rental class. With that being said, they are further away from the airport, and require 2 shuttles, which is annoying - but worth the savings IMO. :) - remember, most reviews posted about car rental places online are negative, research the other companies to find out.

7. mrstealth

mrstealth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only issue is their off site location. Just budget an extra 20 minutes or so on your return.

I use them in Vegas and phoenix all of the time and no problems at all.

8. Bruinfan1

Bruinfan1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    General experience, not Vegas-specific. Fox is the low-cost-carrier of the car rental business out west. Must work - they're expanding all over the place.

Things like adding $10.00/day for each rental day you've had the vehicle if you return it a day early...or return it a day late. So $70 cost to return a weekly rental a day early. Really upselling the insurance. I've found less counter staff and longer lineups than other companies...and no way I know of to avoid the counter unlike the major companies. Now they charge $1.50/day to use the shuttle bus, although every company has airport-related charges.

Enterprise I can live with - they've adopted good airport policies and bring a strong customer service ethic. Just can't return a car off-airport in most cases. Fox is a brand too far for me. The 75 minute wait in San Francisco for a car was the last straw....

9. tapakip

tapakip Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As others have mentioned, they are off site, so 2 shuttles needed. If you arrive late, there's no line, but during the day? Expect 45 minutes in line. I use them because I can almost always upgrade to a convertible cheaply. New cars, too. We had a slightly damaged car (long story, but it wasn't us who damaged it) and they didn't end up charging us, so that was good. But I got a little tired of the bad communication from them (or lack thereof), so I'm not using them this time around. rentalcars.com has really cheap prices right now for mid July, and Budget was actually cheaper than Fox, which was a first for me.

Good luck.

10. TURKEY

TURKEY Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enterprise and Fox are the best rental agencies in Las Vegas.

Highly recommend Fox

11. eltgabs

eltgabs Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the info and advice guys. I'm gonna stick with Fox and hope everything turns out alright.

12. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Thanks all - I'm doing Fox for first time ever, later this summer.

13. eltgabs

eltgabs Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just got back from a quick trip and here are a few notes about Fox. Arrived Monday, July 2nd. Got my bags at about 10:30am, took rental shuttle to rental center, then shuttle to Fox. That 2nd shuttle was about a 10 minute wait. THe whole process at Fox took about 45 minutes and it was relatively busy. It would have been shorter if I had brought a copy of my return flight itiniery because the agent said it was needed since I was using my debit card. This also avoided running a credit check and a possible $400 dollar deposit. Returned the car today at around 5:45 pm and the whole return process was pretty quick, maybe 15 mins. It was pretty dead. Hope this info helps anyone using Fox in the future. Feel free to ask any other questions.

14. Bruinfan1

Bruinfan1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the report! 15 minutes to return seems quite long to me. I assume you had to go inside - no "quick drop" paperwork that would allow you to grab the next shuttle. How long did you wait for the shuttle after returning?

15. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know that fox usually has the lowest rates but many prefer the general rental chains (dollar/budget Alamo, etc.) because their fastpass and other services which process you quickly and you avoid the second shuttle getting to and from fox.

there have been many posts about people with issues with fox on many sites (tripadvisor, etc, even here). I haven't rented from fox before but I may consider it. The only thing is that I will have to allocate extra time to/from fox and processing time at fox.

16. eltgabs

eltgabs Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    15 minutes is long but I wasn't in too much of a hurry. Luckily as soon as I got my receipt, the shuttle bus was already waiting.

17. Fox_Eposed

Fox_Eposed Guest

I would be VERY careful if you do go with Fox Rent A Car...
    [YOUTUBE]QrEk6X_8dJE[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.