1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Need Advise from dog lovers

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by LucyR., Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last night my 14yr.old Jack Russell terrier doggie urinated on my bed.
    She usually sleeps near my feet but last night she chose to sleep near my shoulder area.

When I woke up..... my night gown was wet on the shoulder area and the mattress was wet also. I noticed my doggie was sleeping on the floor next to my bed. I know she understood she did wrong. She has wet the mattress before near my feet.

I do hear at night time my doggie getting up to go use her doggie door so she can urinate outside on my condo balcony. She is newspaper trained.

I have a feeling that she goes into a real deep sleep now that she is an old
    dog and dreams that she is using the doggie door... or she has no control
    while she is sleeping. I don't really know for sure. She doesn't urinate around the place during the day. She still has control.

I have a very high level bed so she has to use the foot stool to jump on the bed. I remove the foot stool during the day so she doesn't get on the bed during the day.

I have decided to let her get on top of my bed when it is time for me to go to sleep. But after she spends a few minutes on my bed I plan to put her on the floor and have her sleep on her doggie bed.
    I don't fall asleep right away ever. I have to read a book sometimes.

Any advise or ideas? Lucy

2. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just an idea.....

One of my five doggies began urinating more often. Then she became quite I'll. Took her to the vet. Her blood sugar was 500!

She was "in the hospital" three days with IV's, blood tests, etc.

Discharged on insulin shots twice a day. ( Easy! ).

Now that doggie is running, playing & SO happy!!

I am very grateful to our kind veterinarian!

This is an inconsequential matter, but would anybody like to guess how much the total bill was?

Anyway, Lucy, just the first thing that came into my mind.

3. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oops, " ill ", not I'll.

Wish my iPad did not have spellcheck!

4. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lucy, i'm actually not surprised she went on the bed. your dog is very old, so it is probably difficult and/or painful to get on and off the bed (especially if it's a higher bed). you made a good point that she might have also been in a deep sleep and doesn't have as much control over her bowel movements as she did before. it is very common for older dogs to struggle with maintaining continence. your older companion should sleep near the doggy door or maybe supply a wee wee pad in your room at night and have her sleep on the floor from now on. at least put her stool back, so getting on and off the bed is easier. we have made it a rule to not let our dog sleep on our bed (mainly for allergy and space reasons, but it will help later in his life when he is physically unable to get on and off the bed).

good luck with your pooch, and remember punishing her is probably not the solution. :wave:

5. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Could be kidney issues. You should have her enzyme levels checked.

6. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Diabetes was my first thought when I read the post as well. A healthy dog no matter how old won't soil themselves, even my old Bubba who passed at 17.5 last November never once soiled himself or sleeping spot. Get the pup checked out first by a vet for diabetes, kidney or bladder issues.

Robert if ya mean how much when ya were grateful to the vet when ya talk about the bill I am gonna guess 400 on the bill as thats what I would say is half price at many vets for three days ICU care and diagnosis. As a breeder, trainer and most important dog owner I know well how much a great vet can mean in ones life, even more when it's your own dog. Great vets get all my suggestions for clients and much of my business, I divide up between vets dependent on issue and location when I need them.

7. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bubba......

Total bill was $170.50.

Every day I get priceless joy out of seeing her run and jump and play.

What a bargain!!

8. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i disagree. our dog, who was only 12 had issues with peeing in the house once in awhile, mostly at night. we had her checked out, and there was nothing the vets could find. i think dogs, just like humans, lose the ability to have absolute control of their bowels in old age. with that said, i don't disagree lucy with people suggesting you take her to the vet to make sure there are not any underlying problems.

9. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our dog wasn't even that old (perhaps 9) when she began urinating a lot, and then we noticed it contained blood. She had to have kidney stones removed. Poor thing...I hear that's very painful.

10. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last night....

I went to bed late and my doggie wanted to sleep on my bed too. She didn't want to sleep in her doggie bed on the floor.

I did notice that she drinks a lot of water before she goes to bed.lol.

I put her on my bed and she was real happy. Then she decided to go get a raw hide snack to take to the bed. I didn't let her get on the bed with her snack. When she was a puppy she used to bring a stuffed toy to our bed.
    She doesn't do that any more.

I noticed she used her doggie door to go urinate. I then decided to put a doggie diaper on her for the night. She chose to sleep by my feet.

At 6:30a.m. I woke up and took the diaper off and I noticed she did urinate in the diaper....some what. The diaper worked great because it absorbed the
    urine deep into the diaper and kept my dog's hinney dry. "WHEW"....

I went back to bed to sleep some more and left my dog on the floor. When I woke up again I noticed she was sleeping in her doggie bed. yeah!

I found my solution. YEAH!

I think like some of you said that maybe jumping off the bed to use the doggie door is hard on her legs and I agree.

I did take her to the vets a few months ago where blood tests and x-rays were done on her.
    The vets in my neighborhood are super expensive. It cost me $400. for the visit with one vet..... and $500. with another vet who charged all kinds of misc. fees like saying she did a Senior dog exam. Said my dog was dehydrated and they infused her with some liquids. My dog came home and vomitted the expensive liquids.lol.
    The vet had wanted to keep her for observation for 3 nights and I said....
    "NO WAY JOSE". Rip off vet.

I have decided to just take care of my doggie the best way I can using my intuition. Those two vets didn't really find nothing wrong with my doggie.
    My doggie is just getting old with senior problems.

I have never gotten angry with my doggie when she becomes ill with diarrehea or vomits. Sometimes she eats something on the floor and she becomes ill all of a sudden. I just take care of her and find a solution.
    I go to the pet stores and buy her meds for diarrhea, etc. The stuff works.

The vet did say my doggie has arthritis, allergies, a problem with her digestive system. I do make sure she gets all of her vacination shots to keep her safe.
    I sometimes give my doggie baby food meats of chicken or beef. I feed it to her with a silver tiny spoon. Yes, I do.... I love my doggie.

Thank you all for your advise. Lucy

11. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You may have already started this, but maybe you should keep her water dish empty at night. I know I try no to drink too much water at night so it may work for an older dog.

12. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Man ya better keep that vet, that price is so ridiculously low it shows ya have one in it much more for the animals than the money. So glad to hear she is doing so well, right now I have my little one Cody, another Pointer of course, sitting at my feet while I type this out. Little guy is gonna be a good one I think classy and intense on his point and a good retriever as well, cant wait for season to start in November and see how he hangs with the veterans of my pack on wild birds, just hope we have a good hatch this year.

13. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lucy I see you live in LA, tough place to find good vets from what friends of mine say. One thing I would do if at all feasible is to find a clinic that treats large and small animals, that can make a HUGE difference in both care and cost. The dehydration, and using an IV is odd to say the least, dehydration is a sure sign of a health issue, beyond what you listed, arthritis and digestion mainly, which are common in older dogs. Especially if the dog is house kept. Even in my hunting dogs which run MILES during a typical day and that is at times in temps over 80, I have never had a dehydration issue ever. It's not unheard of in older dogs but it is another sign of possible diabetes or kidney issues. Beast of luck to ya I hate hearing of a dog not in the best of health, though my dogs are workers they are our kids and we give em the best they can get.

14. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My doggie

Last night I decided not to let her drink some water by 6p.m. She seemed confused that her water bowls were gone.

I put a doggie diaper on her when we went to bed last night. She jumped from the bed to go use her doggie door so she could urinate.
    When she came back in I checked her diaper and it was all wet. I had to change it to a clean one.

She looked for her water bowl so I decided to let her drink some water.
    Then she went back to my bed.

From now on I plan to just let her drink all the water she wants. I don't like the idea of my doggie being thirsty. Lucy

15. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bubba,

Bet you get more pleasure out of Cody than you would a fancy country club membership!

I wish you well!

16. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My doggie

I like to sleep late. My doggie slept well in her diaper but she got up to go make poop. She made her poop in her diaper but some it fell out of the diaper where the hole of her tail is located. She made a big mess on a throw rug and on herself.
    I had to wash her real good and also wash the rug. To make matters worse is that the hot water was turned off on our condo complex so I had to heat up some water on the stove to mix it with the cold water. I could have also used the microwave too but didn't think of it at the time.

It took me an hour to clean up everything.

I love my doggie but I think it is best she learns to sleep on her doggie bed
    at night. Plus, I am so tired from washing all the sheets and blankets from the bed each day.
    Taking care of a dog is a lot of work. When I was a child we found a dog who had been abandoned. We all took good care of that doggie. But just one old senior taking care of a pet is just too much work.
    I plan to keep her as long as she lives and deal with all of the problems that may come up in the future for her care.
    I also have my own medical problems to take care of too. Lucy

17. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shoot man the only country club I belong to is the sporting clays club, I am in the Rodney Dangerfield camp when it comes to traditional country clubs. Two biggest watses of land, cemeterys and country clubs, one no one can get into the other no one wants to get into. :evillaugh

My pups are all a joy, whether it's ones I have bred and kept track of through the years after they have went to a new owner, one's I train for folks who come back yearly for touchup and conditioning or the ones I have from cradle to grave. They all hold a place in my heart and mind.

18. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lucy, as you know, dogs are a lot of work. I used to have dogs. The last one died ten years ago. I have only had cats since then. They are easier and cheaper to care for. They can also be left alone a few days at a time when we go away. I like petting other people's dogs but I won't get my own dog again.

19. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kittens

Hi Candy, Yes, I do plan to get 2 kittens when I move to a house in my future. I agree that kittens are easier to take care of them. I love to watch them play.

I am hoping to become a foster mom for kittens at a Animal Shelter. I have done it before. It is a lot of work but worth it to see them grow. Once they grow up they don't need much care except to make sure their needs are met and they are happy campers. Lucy

20. Carol1113

Carol1113 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have a female shepherd that is almost 12 years old.
    About a year ago when she got up in the morning and occasionally in the afternoon her hind quarters would be soaken wet as well as anything she was laying on.
    We took her to the Vet to see what it could be and after a few tests we were told it was incontinence--the same problem most women have as they get older.
    She was put on a prescription--it is DES 1 mg capsule----and the first week she had one pill a day--then it is just 1 pill 2 times a week.
    This has solved the problem completely so you may want to check with your vet about this as it really has worked for us.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.