1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cash and airport security?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by teddybo, Oct 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VivaLostWages

VivaLostWages Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would you mind asking your friend for honest answer regarding my original question? How often are they patting people down when they go thru the metal detector without setting it off, and if they do, and question me about cash on my person, are my responses I mentioned in my OP vaild enough for them not to scrutinize me anymore. This is in regards to going to and from Vegas.

2. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

I sent your message along, but I have a feeling that the response in regards to frequency of pat downs is going to be something like "There is no specific ratio or criteria and/or data they can share. Part of TSA's system is it's randomness and lack of patterns in order to keep the system from being compromised"

3. VivaLostWages

VivaLostWages Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True, I did not intend to ask for any reason other than hearing stories of people getting cash confiscated

4. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

His reply

This is now back to me, I have never heard of anyone getting cash confiscated unless it was undeclared in international travel. There is no law or limit to the amount of cash you can carry domestically.
    In my opinion, any stories you've heard in regards to confiscation of cash is either untrue, embellished or was an international travel issue regarding CBP (Customs Border Protection)
    Remember, TSA is not police. They are not police officers. They cannot arrest nor confiscate. They have to call in a LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) to accomplish any of that, from local or airport police to CBP to FBI.
    TSA is not a LEO.

5. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

I just got this message also:

6. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Less than stellar idea to put it in the carry on. There's plenty of documented stories of theft by TSA agents. Especially with an amount that small that will fit in your pocket easily.

7. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    7 K is not alot of cash, it just isnt, dont worry about it. no one riffle through your bills to see if it's a stack of c- notes or a pile of ones and fives like I'm usually carrying on the return trip. I know i went through vegas yesterday and they had the body scanners going, not metal detectors. Outbound out of mpls i was told to empty my pockets and ended up putting my wallet in my luggage(carryon), going home at mcarron i left a couple pieces of paper in my pockets and still had a watch, etc, and i went right through.

8. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

That's why he said to watch it go in, while in, and coming out of the scanner.
    No one should ever let their bags out of their sight.
    By the way, your most important bag, with say your laptop, cash and anything else should be the last bag to go in, so it's not unattended at any time

9. VivaLostWages

VivaLostWages Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks guys.

10. GeorgeandTheBear

GeorgeandTheBear High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I asked the agent about my cash and he said to hold it in my hand. I put my wallet in the tray and pulled the cash out, in front of god and everybody. I also had a wad in a pocket. I put both in my left hand as I stood in the scanner. I had about 4K total. It wasn't a huge wad and no one could tell if it was 40 or 4000 bucks.

11. Jumbotights

Jumbotights Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Airport security and bankroll question

Just wondering if you all carry your cash wad in your hands going through screening process? Or watch closely as your wallet/purse goes through tunnel?

12. Debh

Debh Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have always kept mine in zipped purse or zipped coat pocket that goes through scanner in the trays.
    Hubby has his in zipped vest/coat pocket.
    They have not let us keep money in our hands

13. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually carry $2,000 in cash in 100s. I hold it in my hand if I have to go through the body scanner and leave it in my pocket if it is just the metal detector.

Haven't had any problems with TSA and holding it in my hand. That's at least 20 times.

14. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i've sent $50k through the scanner in the bottom of my wife's purse in a zippered pocket.

15. Jumbotights

Jumbotights Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great, thanks guys.

16. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never had a problem w/ a wad of hundreds but they did freak out our last trip about a bag of dark chocolate almonds:rolleyes2:

17. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never had a problem passing through Security until a month ago when the TSA drone wouldn't let me hold my wallet while being irradiated. She insisted (strongly) that I put it in a bowl to pass through the x-ray machine. I resisted, but realizing I was fighting a battle I was destined to lose, I nervously complied. To make matters worse, my watch for the first time evidently decided to single me out for a pat-down, while my wallet was proceeding down the conveyer in plain view. I tried to step the few feet away to retrieve it, but the "lady" threatened to call for reinforcements if I didn't keep my feet clued to the markings on the floor while they decided if I was a security risk. Everything worked out fine, but I started the trip on an anxious note I really didn't need. From now on, the wallet will be in the bottom of my carryon bag until I've cleared Security.

18. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never tried to hold my wallet, just a wad of cash w/o a money clip.

19. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    More advise

Don't wear shirts with glitter on them because you could beep.
    Don't wear lots of jewelry or big watches that can ding too.

Hide your money in a area that will make it hard for them to find it.
    I put tissues on top of my money so if they start taking out the tissues
    I know I have to use my eagle eyes to watch what they are doing.

20. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tend to keep the wad of cash in my pocket. It tends to put a smile on the faces of the female TSA people.

Other times it is kept in the carry-on bag. At the check point my wife goes through first THEN i send the bags. I don't go through until the bag has gone far enough in. This way the bag is never really out of sight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.