1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Allegiant: Would you pay more/longer flight to avoid them?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by dfalk, Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always flown Allegaint to get to Vegas because the prices are so cheap and its a 2hr non stop flight. Im getting sick of them though cause 2 of my last 3 flights with them have been delayed, 1 hour and 3 hours if I remember correctly. Talking to 4 different people, all have said their flights were delayed as well within the last 2 months. Also had one couple who's flight had to turn around after leaving Vegas for an emergency landing because of "navigation problems". They said that was a bunch of bull shit and was pretty sure an engine died.

So with all their crap I'm looking at other airlines. My only other reasonable option is Delta. Crappy thing about them is they have one stop in SLC, and total flight time is 3.5-4 hours (compared to nonstop, 2hr w/ Allegiant) Also they are a little more expensive, right now most flights are $291 RT, while Allegiants are $200-240 (this includes their stupid $36 carryon baggage fee)

So my question is would you pay more money, have 1 stop, and add an extra 1.5-2hr travel time to avoid a crappy airline who's always late and has crappy customer service?

EDIT: Also forgot to add, I plan on going in Sept and Allegaint only flies out 2 days that whole week, Sun and Thur. With Delta I can leave any day and can also pick better times to leave.

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I made a big deal about customer loyalty in another thread, but that pre-supposes that the business performs to an acceptable level. Doesn't sound like that's the case here at all... time to check out the competition.

3. thebax84

thebax84 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where are flying out of

4. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is just a matter of priorities. No airline is perfect.

For me the order is something like

- Do the fly the times I want to fly. I will avoid at almost all costs a flight before 10am.
    - Is it nonstop?
    - Do they fly the days I want to fly? Really this is only an issue with smaller airlines like alligient
    - Are they ontime?
    - Price

For me, I don't actually care if a flight is a little late. 3 hours is a bit much, but an hour late I just wouldn't care about. I will sit in an airport for 2 extra hours if it means I only have to board a plane once.

You asked specifically about paying more and longer flight. My answer to that is no, but allegient has other issues that make it a no go for me.

5. Bruinfan1

Bruinfan1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I knew my flight would be delayed; if I knew I would need customer service, and if I knew that the expensive airline would be on time, stress-free, and deliver customer service excellence...the $75 is peanuts. The choice of dates alone make it worthwhile for me. That perfect flight I'd pay $400 for. The 3-hour late w/ miserable service during the day: Negative $100.

But before you assume those things, you may want to check out some statistics on on-time arrival that apply to you. Then make your decisions based upon the averages...just like you would for BJ:

http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightRating/flightRatingByCarrier.do?airlineCode=G4
    http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightRating/flightRatingByCarrier.do?airlineCode=DL
    http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightRating/flightRatingByRoute.do

Yes, Allegiant is more often late, and worse...much more often very late which is when you get really annoyed and need some of that customer service. Since I don't know where you're flying from, I don't know if that applies to your flight...or how reliable that Skywest commuter prop is getting you to SLC. Check the stats and make a call. Pay attention to Excessive, Cancelled, and Diverted since those are the flights that usually get people's blood boiling...especially on a low-cost, low-service airline.

Something else to think about: If your non-stop flight (which will never lose your checked luggage @ SLC) is 90 minutes late both ways, there's no loss to you in time. As long as you have cell phone in hand (to keep your ride to/from the airport updated) or your ride has internet access and can check the status of your flight, then the only issue with a slightly or even significantly delayed flight is self-inflicted stress.

Don't forget the value of SkyMiles - only a few dollars few flight, but they do add up...just like Express Comps.

6. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

sounds like you also must have to travel from great falls!

after about three years of allegiant, bit the bullet and did delta this last trip, had the early am flight out, and then quick switch and on to lv, and because of being able to do this on the days of the week we needed to travel, paid the extra dollars.

trip down was ok, on the way back, got to mccarran at 2:20 pm for the 4:30 flight...finally got on a plane at 7:30 knowing that we had missed our connection, after taxiin out and being second in line for takeoff, taxiied back for compressor a/c repair. sat on the plane, finally took off about 10pm, salt lake at midnight mountain time, and to a really bad baymont inn. next am, got the 11 am flight out of slc to gf, but only because 3 passengers from charlotte were going to miss the connection, otherwise it would have been the 8 pm flight that night, one full day after schedule.

so, long story short, delta, even though slc is a hub, does not have spare planes, either, and reminded me why i like allegiant when the days they fly fit my schedule, and why i make my schedule fit their flights.

too bad frontier does not have a las vegas flight from gf, because delta and allegiant both still stink.

7. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup, I fly out of GTF as well. Well that story just sounds horrible, worse than most Allegiant stories I've heard. Maybe I should just stick to Allegiant so I dont have to deal with connecting flights and the possibility of missing them. Even if they are 1-2 hours late it will still be the same amount of time vs Delta.

8. MTMONGO

MTMONGO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We fly out of Billings, and stopped use Allegiant 2 years ago. They have the worst customer service of any airline.

9. Shelbymae

Shelbymae Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can drive 90 miles to Grand Island and fly with them, or I can drive 280 miles to Denver and fly Southwest. I choose SW because they end up being the same price after allegiant adds all the fees on. SW also is a direct flight, I have friends in the Denver area that keep my car for me, and I have fave stores I shop at there. SW hardly ever has delays and if they do its only an hour or two...where allegiant is several hours or even days. SW customer service has been awesome, they allow changes, and are just all around more enjoyable to fly. Allegiant customer service is horrible, and they offer nothing if there is a delay. Too many horror stories of ruined vacations for people. They are my last resort.

10. Bruinfan1

Bruinfan1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The nearest Southwest outpost up the OP's way is...Salt Lake City. And while it's only(?) about 575 miles, it's a tad far to commute for a great airline.

Something to note from the "Delta anecdote". (No more useful than the Allegiant anecdotes, TBT, just another data point.) Delta put passengers up in a hotel due to a mechanical delay. How many Allegiant passengers have that result? Part of the "customer service" concern raised. That's why those "Excessive" delays are so important to your decision...the end result is potentially (and frequently) worse on a connecting flight than a direct flight, but the national stats suggest it happens to Allegiant way more often.

FWIW: 4 of 54, or 7.5% of Allegiant flights out had excessive delays, the worst being 4 hours. Not horrible, but not great. The Delta flights to SLC are fantasticly reliable, except for the last flight of the day. Same for connecting flight to LAS. For the return flights, LAS-SLC is usually very good, but has had a couple of lengthy delays in the last couple of months. The connecting DL flight is usually good, although the last flight of the day gets delayed more often (probably waiting for connecting passengers). Cancelled once.

But it's your Allegiant flight home that has been a disaster this year. 12% of flights with excessive delays, although never more than 2.5 hours. Only 70% on time rating. Even diverted once. (Helena?) If you're looking to save $75, decide what you can live with on your return flight....

Personally, I'd forget all of them and drive. Let me know if you want a lift. :poke:

11. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's the deal..

There are delays on all airlines. We have flown Allegiant many times without a single hitch. Most of the time no other airline can touch their prices, even with the stupid baggage fees. (we are sneaking in on our last free carry on next month...DH is THRILLED they are charging, cuz from now on I will let him check a bag since we have to pay anyway!)
    People complain about the nickel & diming...why? Pay if you want it, don't pay if you don't; compare the total price to other airlines---you make the decision.
    My only concern is if I get stuck in Vegas & they can't get me out that day--no reciprocity w/ other airlines. Of course, getting stuck in Vegas for a few extra days is usually a little present!:eek:

12. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

fwiw.

the next two trips, departing on july 30 on a solo trip, and then again on august 19 with bride for another trade show, we already have, and had before the other trip, booked with allegiant.

my point was that both have problems, and our problem with delta brought back memories of when we used to only have delta as an option. now we have two choices, with the lesser of the two evils, imo, allegiant.

we can save a few bucks, go non-stop, and not worry about connections, IF we can make the days allegiant flies out of gf fit the days we have to be there for the trade shows. as this other trip was to take son on his 21st to lv, and then his working sister flying in for the weekend only from her job, delta was really our only choice for our days. while we have checked, allegiant from billings, or missoula, also would necessitate a hotel stay in either of those places either on the eve of departure or on night of arrival, so we are just thankful for all the canadians who make the drive down to great falls, and keep our planes full and the flights in business.

my worst allegiant experience...7 pm flight, finally got out of great falls a little after 9:30. on descent into lv, sitting in the bulkhead seat, so could hear the cockpit. hear this automated voice, saying 1000, 900, on down to 200...FEET! suddenly, i feel the plane accelerating and lifting. we fly for a good ten minutes, the pilot comes on and says we are circling, cockpit indicator says that landing gear is not fully locked. he thinks it is a indicator light malfunction, rather than a landing gear problem. a few minutes later, one of the pilots comes out of the cockpit, carrying a tool bag!

i do not know if he was going back in the cabin to loosen some sort of floor plate and look, or what, and i did not even bother turning to see what he did or did not do, i honestly had this sense of calm and acceptance, plus i thought it was probably just a light malfunction, too! took my cue from the laughing, and definitely not tense, chatty stewardesses who spent all the time not serving drinks shouting at each other over the noise of the plane.

so, as we descended into lv 45 minutes later, pilot says he thinks it is all ok, but to look out the window at all the fire trucks. he then said, yes, they are for us! we landed just fine, asked the stewardess on departure if this happened often. she just said she was aware of it happening before, just not on one of her flights.

so, instead of being in a shuttle or cab by 9:30, we got to Planet Hollywood about 1 am. no way to sleep, went to earl of sandwich and then played a little, went to bed about 3 am. up early, about 9, played my 50 dollar free play and hits 4 aces, no kicker, on quarter ddb, went back to the room plus 600!

all's well that ends well!

13. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Delta is no piece of cake, in the long run. As for the Skymiles program of Delta, using miles is like pulling teeth from a rabid dog. I suppose the one advantage would be multiple flights to Las Vegas using Delta, United or Alaska Air. On the off chance that weather impacts your travel or other problems, the legacy carriers are far better equipped to take care of you.

14. Shelbymae

Shelbymae Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a very strong dislike for Allegiant, but I certainly dont put people down that fly with them. I try to get word out to anyone thinking about flying with them to read the fine print very carefully and to read the reviews, and the facebook page of allegiant so they can see the negative comments from customers. I feel that way they can make an informed decision if they really want to book with them. Its their money, not mine. I dont care for spirit air either and I have never flown with them, just figure with the track record and the negative reviews I dont need to take chances of having a delay or cancelation. I know it could happen with any airline, but these two airlines have higher incidences of it happening, and Customer service is non existent.

15. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cliu over on TA right now is hoping their flight goes out tonight. It was cancelled last night (Bellingham). Today it was already delayed. They have a pre-paid hotel & may end up with no vacation due to the delays if it cancels again tonight.

If you have the options I would take the carrier that has more planes available for use if needed, even if it costs a bit more.

I hate trying to redeem Delta miles, but I did end up getting their AExp card ($95 a year - first year free). You get free checked bag which helps offset the cost of the card. Plus with the card you can 'pay with miles'. Often a flight that might be 37,500 miles to redeem for has an outright cost of around $300. So in that situation it is much 'cheaper' for me to redeem 25,000 miles & pay $50 out of pocket vs. burning 37,500 miles.

Easter again..:
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.