1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

White Trash Question Re: Alcohol on the Plane!

Discussion in 'Las Vegas for the Frugal (not Cheap)' started by Michelle, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle

Michelle Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know some of my girlfriends have mentioned that they pack their own little bottles of booze (the single serving kinds) and put it in their carry on to drink on the plane. Total white trash move, I know it, but it seems that the flight attendants can never get to me fast enough for a new drink! Is this okay to do? I understand the whole TSA, each bottle cannot be over three ounces.

2. travelfiend

travelfiend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Technically, yes it is against airline policy, but notice I said technically. But airline OJ does taste a tad better with a splash of vodka! :D

3. theshaah

theshaah High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a violation of FAA regulations.

Can you do it? SURE! Should you do it? Well thats up to you to decide.

Your flight attendants do not get a cut of the beverage sales, and are not supposed to accept tips (but almost all will do so if you "insist") it's something you have to decide if you want to do.

Just be aware that we are trained to spot passengers with the "appearence of intoxication" and if we didn't serve you one drink on the flight, we'll know somethings up.

4. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not trashy... it is being Frugal!

Frugal people always find ways to save some money.

This topic should be moved to the "Cheapo Skate" section.lol.

I pack alcohol in a small Vanilla bottle. I am a senior and I consider it medicinal to carry it.LOL. It's really great for a sore throat.

I pack tiny bottles in my suitcase that I check in. I pack Amaretto, rum,
    and Kalua to add into my morning coffee for flavor. Most Vegas places
    sell lousy tasting coffee. I don't like to waste my money at Starbucks.
    I only drink 1/2 a cup so I would be wasting my money.

I also carry a plastic drink container and I ask the airline steward to give me
    a whole can of soda and some ice in a cup. I then put it in my drink container. I can then enjoy drinking the soda for a long time and not have to ask for some more soda.

Another frugal thing to do:
    Once I pass security... I ask for water with ice at a Bar at the airport and I leave them a tip. I fill up my water container with the ice and water.
    I always have to have water with me in case I have to take a pill or my throat gets real dry.
    I pack some small snacks to eat at the airport or on the plane.
    The Burbank airport has lousy snacks and they cost too much.
    I don't like to waste money.

I don't think it is convenient to have to wait for the steward to come to my seat and ask what I want to drink and then have to wait for it.
    I also hate it when they pass me by and I have to get their attention.
    I don't like their cheap snacks of peanuts, pretzels, etc. I decline the snacks.

I hate it when I hear the steward on Delta say, "we are serving Donut Coffee today". I get all excited when I hear the word, "Donut". Then I realize it is only coffee. "Shucks"....

I am not a trashy person. But I am a frugal person.

Michelle, It is none of my business what you think of me.LOL. LucyR.

5. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey, I'm a semi-proud member of the NAAWT (National Association for the Advancement of White Trash), so call me frugal or call me cheap – I couldn't care less. :) What I do care about is Delta charging $7 for a 1.5 ounce bottle of booze. The local liquor stores have barrels (literally) full of a wide assortment of the same miniatures for $1. So, depending what I brought in my one quart TSA-approved bag, I'll ask for tonic water or ginger ale when the cart comes through the aisle and then, after they've passed by, DISCREETLY add in the contents from the miniature. One small victory for a man, one giant victory for mankind – or something like that! :D

6. housdoc

housdoc Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No Problem with TSA. I carry 8-12 small 1.5 oz bottles every time I fly.
    I pack 4 in a Clear Zip Lock Bag. 3-4 Bags. TSA has looked at them 1 time but never tried to take them..

7. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Include me in the White Trash, Frugal, Cheap whatever club. I hate overpaying for anything. Nip bottles from home are the way to go for me also. I always buy a bottle of soda at the snack place in the airport to take on with me. I do order OJ as a drink on the plane for free, thanks Southwest.

8. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is never a white trash move to try and save a little money.

The ones who get obnoxious and act up on a plane, disrupt things for everyone else and cause a couple of hundred other people to be delayed to their destination because they do not know how to conduct themselves in public - now THAT is white trash!!!

9. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought it was included in the 3 oz of liquids per person, in the little bottles 1 oz each, in the ziploc?

10. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can have a bunch of items, 3 oz each, not total. So you can have toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant,etc, and several drinks as well.

11. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    3(.4)-1-1 means http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm:

3(.4) - each item in the bag MUST be less than 3.4oz (100ml, but apparently we're not smart enough to get that, and that .4 is too much trouble?) Also the container itself must be 3.4 oz or less - you cannot have a large container with a small amount of product

1 - 1 quart-size ziploc bag

1 - per person

As reported above, TSA doesn't care about minis of alcohol as long as they're the right size and in the single quart size ziploc allotted to each traveler.

On the plane, it is an FAA regulation that you can only consume alcohol provided by the airline - so the airline can monitor your consumption.

12. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for explaining that. :thumbsup:

13. DOUBLE B

DOUBLE B Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't imagine boarding a plane without my 6 mini bottles (in SC we call them mini bottles) in a quart zip lock bag. If I get bumped to first class I don't need them. When I have to stay in coach...wellllll I have three from East Coast to Vegas and three on return trip.

14. xizor

xizor Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A point I learned when trying to access my duty free purchase over the Pacific. :peace:
    So yes, discretion is key, especially when discarding your empty mini bottles.

15. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Zip lock bags

I have to put my liquid eye drops in several quart size bags. I always pack all of my meds in case of a medical emergency. I keep the tiny bottles in their original box so I know which med it is because of my partial vision
    problem.
    Security doesn't care as long as I put them in the quart size bags.

I alway make sure to put my empty plastic water container outside of my carry-on bags when my things get scanned. It makes it easier for them to notice that it is empty. Lucy

16. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When they had the last big security scare, the TSA sent out alerts that they wouldn't allow alcohol. Before that I packed them in my ziploc baggie with no issues. I hadn't tried it size.

17. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is a violation to open your own alcoholic beverage container but not to carry an unopened one on the plane. So, it's only a a violation when you crack open that little bottle.

18. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bring booze on and drink it all the time. Haven't had a single problem.

19. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I actually think duty free is a separate issue because it has to remain sealed until you pass through customs so they know it's duty free? I never buy duty free alcohol coming back to the US because I always have to do an internal flight in the US and would have to pack it in checked luggage and can't do a great job packing it well in an airport setting.....

20. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really?

TSA has let you through security w/ 3-4 1 qt. bags??!! I can see throwing in those little bottles (BRILLIANT idea, btw), but how are you getting away w/ several--everywhere I go is pretty fussy...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.