1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Modern Mans greatest and worst inventions

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Jerseyguy2, Jun 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the average everyday guy like me anyhow.
    Great #1 -Duct Tape. What can I say ?
    Great#2- Crazy Glue-Fantastic!! Besides the usual repair jobs,Last year I repaired the plastic housing that holds and aligns the gears and shaft for a Genie garage door opener with this stuff. For $2 probly saved $100.
    Great #3- Caller ID- How many annoying calls do I avoid every day ,priceless.

Worst Invention-Text Messaging .We have cell phones and Email ,what do we need this for? Question for teachers,parents and business people. Will this generation be able to compose a business letter someday ?

2. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I refuse to pay for caller id. If I don't want to answer the phone, I don't. If it's someone I know, they'll leave a message. I detest when people (presumably) see my name on caller ID and answer "Hi Hoya" (esp when I use my husband's cell phone to call someone:rolleyes2:) Or what can be worse - when people don't introduce themselves when I answer the phone because they assume *I* have caller ID. So if someone calls and starts talking to me....I will (sometimes rudely, though I try not to...) say "and who is this?" Really, how hard is it to say "Hi Jersey, this is Hoya......"

So those are my related pet peeves. I don't text much and I rarely use my cell phone, I prefer email as much as possible.....We all have our preferences. If I didn't text, I'd never communicate with my sister:ssst:

Duct tape can be fabulous, but also a PITA if you only need a temp fix - it leaves very sticky residue. And then you need one of MY favorite things, Goo Gone!

3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i agree caller ID is one of the best things ever invented. i don't answer probably 80% of the calls i get.

one of my favorite things is a DVR. nothing like watching sports and being able to rewind that play and see it again or because you were in the other room and missed it. and recording all your favorite shows so you can watch them when convenient and fast forward all the commercials. i get so spoiled when i go to other people's houses that don't have DVRs it's like being in the stone age.

4. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let's not forget electricity, without which any of these things would not be possible! (you need electricity to power the plant that makes the duct tape!)

5. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've got to agree with the DVR. I have no idea how people watch TV without one. You have to be in front of the TV at a specific time? You watch those annoying and loud commercials? Ick! :)

I also have to add an addendum to the caller id - I have a talking caller ID on my new phone. After the 1st ring, it speaks who is calling. I don't even have to crane my neck around to see the caller ID anymore.

6. ATXTX

ATXTX VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best: The Kentucky Long Rifle, Rocket Fuel, The Atomic Bomb, & Scoopable Kitty Litter.

Worst: The Designated Hitter rule in the AL.

When we Were Young
  7. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While you folks debate this...

I'll be heading soon to Harrahs AC to enjoy(hopefully) another of modern mans marvels,The video poker macnine in the bar.

8. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let us not forget cocktail waitresses in short skirts and low tops! Marvels, indeed!

9. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I forgot E-Z Pass

Dont know if folks across the US know what this is,but its a transponder that mounts on your winshield so that you dont stop and physically pay tolls you either slow down and go thru the E-Z Pass lane or go thru a high speed area that reads your car. I envy you if you dont need this but unfortunately to get anwhere here in a timely manner you get tolled to death,but at least this system makes it more efficient.

10. bigbooner

bigbooner Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personal computer.

11. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Worst thing ever invented: Music On Hold!

12. bigbooner

bigbooner Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    worst-phone trees

13. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL, my first thought was what's wrong with camouflaging cell towers to look like trees.

14. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would put voice mail, in general, and all kinds of automated phone systems in the "bury in the Chernobyl sarcophagus" category as well.

15. egelston2

egelston2 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Remote

16. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If the E-Z Pass is the one of the greatest, may I say that toll roads, especially those in the Northeast, are perhaps one of the worst inventions. In a span of about 16 years, tolls for my trip to Long Island, NY have increased from about $15 to around $45. Mark my words, in the next few years, many free interstate highways will be tolled and they will be collected by taking a photo of your tag and sending a bill plus a hefty administration fee or through E-Z Pass. You will see no new highways being built unless there is a toll to pay for it. E-Z Pass is another way to track movement and is a loss of privacy. Cops on the LIE are already taking photos of auto tags and checking them for outstanding violations. How long will it take for someone to go through the EZ pass lane and then get pulled over for an outstanding parking ticket? It's coming.

17. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Greatest? The loose sexual mores of the '70s!!

18. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Worst = Fiat currency.

(New American scam (40-50 years), worldwide 2,000 years and counting)

19. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Greatest, the cell phone.
    Worst, the cell phone.

20. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never answer my phone in the first place. I have the caller id that pops up on the tv screen so i know who i am not responding too.

i dont care much for the phone. i would have to say its the worst invention of all time. It is my nemesis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.