1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SW credit card + 50,000 miles $69

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Bernie2, Jun 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernie2

Bernie2 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SW credit card + 50,000 miles $69 is it worth to pay the $69 yes !! There are a number of people that will never pay for a credit card, so be it. If, one travels and has a budget you may want to look at the promo. Of course I've been wrong before.

2. tapakip

tapakip Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did this deal awhile back, minus the $69 annual fee. 50k in SW FF miles is around $800 in free airfare. I'm using 22,000 miles on my upcoming trip from BOS-LAS, nonstop.

Between this deal, the recent Capital One Match My Miles, and another Citi/AA deal giving me 75,000 AA miles, I haven't had to pay for any of my last 5 flights to Vegas. :wink2:

3. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check into the premier card for $99 with the same sign up bonus. It is basically free because you get $100 in credits on your anniversary date every year. It also allows you to accumulate points toward TQ that the $69 card doesnt.

4. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just signed up for this; points were in my account after about 3 weeks, I got 2 tickets to Las Vegas in August, and I have about 18,000~ left over for another flight. So for me it will probably end up being 3 tickets for the $69 annual fee and $30 in 9/11 fees

5. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    actually many of the airlines offer charge cards with introductory miles when you sign up.

Last year I signed up for the united cc. I got 50K miles upon signup and no annual fee for the first year. Naturally before the end of my 1st year I will be cancelling the card. I'm surprised that they allow this without a stipulation of at least having it for 2 years so they can get one year annual fee but what the heck.

I did this before and cancelled. It took about 3 years before I started getting mileage offers from united cc again so I guess it's a 3 year cycle.

Many airlines cc's were offerring 25k, then 30k, then 35k for signing up but once and a while they might offer 50k for signing up.

6. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absolutely agree

$99 fee card gives you 6000 pts annually($100 worth of the cheap fares)
    $69 fee card gives you 3000 pts annually($50 worth of the cheap fares)

The only 2 downsides are

You do pay an extra $30 the first year where you get no bonus miles.
    You are basically giving them a $100 free loan.

7. jacj2020

jacj2020 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What are the bennies?

Bernie2/nemeno --

Thinking of paying for a SW card.

Is it pts or miles?
    I thought SW was pts?

What are TQs?

Thanks.

8. Bernie2

Bernie2 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is points and yes $69 is a great deal for 50K miles.

9. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They seem to be the best in value for miles too - so often with Delta or AA you go to book & they want 37,500 instead of a standard 25,000 for a flight. With SW even though flight prices from MSP to LAS are the same as Delta or even a bit more, the 'point' or 'mile' price is less. And when they had the sale last week I booked 2 RT to Vegas for a total of 25,041 (or close) so I will get 3 full flights minimum to LV for the 50,000 (if I don't cancel one of those two this fall).

10. 1BETSY1

1BETSY1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do not not see the SW 50000 point deal?

11. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did you get an email invite from SWA? That's how I was able to sign up for this deal.

12. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They dont have it all the time, most of the time its 25000 miles, but every few months they change it to 50K for a few weeks, you will just have to wait.

13. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just cancelled my wife's SWA card today before the renewal comes and after we used her 50,000 points.

Now I'll be curious if she gets another offer in 6 months or so. That was her second card. The first card, they waived the $69 and the second we paid it, so 100,000 points cost her $69.

She started getting offers a few months after she canceled the first one.

I've done the same, but I decided to keep it the 2nd time around and pay the $69.

14. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i've heard lots of people on here talk about how quickly their 50,000 points were in their accounts. it's been about 6 weeks for me and nothing. :cry: yet i already have the points from my vegas trip last week....i guess it's time to call and see where my points are.

15. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess your experience is how they get the "4-6 weeks" window :mad:

16. Snotick

Snotick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just cancelled my SWA card this morning. However, I have had mine for about 5 years. I was charged $59 annually, and received 3k points per year. When I called, I asked the CS rep about a higher tier of points being possible. She stated at this time it was either $69 for 3k or $99 for 6k. I told her to go ahead and cancel the card.

I guess I will have to play their game of opening and cancelling new cards every year to get a decent reward. The seem to send me a postcard every other month advertising a free flight with a new card. If I can do a free flight for $69 ever year, then fine. Otherwise, they can keep their card (and their fee)

17. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are people who do this, and chase will not give a bonus on a second card. They only give a second bonus if you apply for a different card, ex you had the 69$ and applied for the premier(100$). there is a whole thread about this on another board. not sure but a quick google came up with this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/. I forget and didnt bookmark it.

18. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe:

DO they not catch on or care ? I mean I am just curious....

I have been told that opening and closing credit cards dont look to good on your credit report.... :beer:

19. Bernie2

Bernie2 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Opening and closing credit cards does effect your score. Lets hope Chase does not monitor this site because if they do they are now aware of what not to do. Thanks for letting them know.

20. KevinSTP

KevinSTP High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A multi billion dollar corporation like Chase is going to have database algorithms that check for stuff like that. A message board thread with a dozen replies is not going to tip them off or get them to change course on a huge marketing campaign. It either makes them money or it doesn't, and obviously it does even with savvier users exploiting bonuses.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.