1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Spirit Airlines Question

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Sidekicknicholas, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sidekicknicholas

Sidekicknicholas Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I've done some searching and it seems most everyone thinks they suck, but most people's logic seems to be:
    They charge for bags - OUTRAGEOUS
    They charge for soda - OUTRAGEOUS
    I'M TOO TALL

... I will be going to Vegas with only one checked bag (have to pay on anything except southwest anyway), have no problem buying a drink past security holding it as I get on the plane, but I am 6' tall.... so that concerns me a bit (flight would be ~2hr 30 min).

Spirit does have fares over $100 cheaper each way, so I guess my question to those who have actually flown them before (no hear-say please), how good/bad are they?

2. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i personally don't like spirit and have flown with them often (not anymore though!). i don't like them because of their nickle and diming. but since you know all of about their extra fees, i can attest to the comfort level a bit. you might be slightly uncomfortable since you're 6ft. i am 5'11", and my knees always were slammed into the seat in front of me (and i actually don't have long legs, maybe a 31 inch inseam; my height is in my torso). i don't know if it's true, but i always felt like the seats were narrower too. for a 2.5 hour flight, it might be bearable. i've also only had problems with delays when flying spirit. delays can and will happen with other airlines of course, but pretty much every spirit flight i have been on was late.

bottom line is if you're saving tons of money, it might be worth a try. if the next cheapest flight is $200 more, then sure stick with spirit and see how you like it. if fares are somewhat close (especially including all of spirit's fees), then i would definitely consider a different airline.

hope that helps!:wave:

3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You'll hate life for that 2.5 hours but if that's worth $100 to you go for it. Personally I value my comfort more than $40/hr.

4. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spirit gets an image problem because all the little details compound one another. You're grumpy about bag fees, then you find the seat cramped. Then you have to get out a credit card to get a soft drink. Just like with restaurants or hotels or anything, once something starts bothering you every other flaw will be more noticeable.

But its also their business model that people will grumble and complain, but will come back for the low rate regardless, and they have proven mostly right.

I have flown spirit many times. Taking these things in order:

The baggage fees: It is annoying, especially when trying to comparison shop. But as long as you know, and the total cost + fees is cheaper, who cares?

The seats/comfort: I'm 6'1, and the seating does feel somewhat cramped. But most coach seats feel cramped to me, and I don't find these significantly worse.

Charging for everything in the cabin: As long as you know in advance its no big whoop, as you said.

All else being equal, I'd fly another airline. If price + fees makes Spirit 25 bucks cheaper or more round trip (or if competitors don't fly direct), I'll use Spirit again.

So to sum up: You won't love it, but you don't have to live there. So especially for a short flight, you'll be fine.

5. MinnesotaMike

MinnesotaMike Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have flown Spirit to Vegas on a 3 hour flight more than once. My opinion, seating is cramped but if u get asile, nice to let one leg stretch out and I was fine. I'm 6'.

Spirit gets a bad rap for "all the fees"but its really about paying for things you use and don't pay for what you don't use. I always bring a bottle of water on plane so why do I want to have a soda charge built into my ticket price? I never do carry on and always bothered by ppl who think they can stuff any size bag in overhead and take all day doing it. I say charge them more(for taking up my time Vegas time getting off plane). I do pay extra for an aisle seat but I know I will get one. Many times on other airlines I had an aisle & was reassinged to a window. Doesn't happen when you pay for an aisle seat. Again,I'm ok with Spirit & how then run things keeping airfares low & using the pay-for system. Someone else likes them as they are the fastest growing airline.

6. Sidekicknicholas

Sidekicknicholas Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for all the input! It is nice to hear actual reviews from this forum/community....

Like others said, I'm aware of where they try and nickle and dime you, but honestly I'm pretty sure I can avoid most of them except checked bagged (since I don't have a southwest hub nearby I'm screwed anyway).

... one more quick question - they do allow a free carry on as long as it would fit under the seat correct? --- My computer/ laptop bag is what I was thinking of bringing... its quite small.

7. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They suck from a-z

As far as I'm concerned anyway. People in the area use them because of the airport.

8. MinnesotaMike

MinnesotaMike Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, 1 carry-on that fits under the seat is free.

9. govegas

govegas Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very cramped...Flown out of MN 3 times...all 3 times the flight was over 1 1/2 late. no charge for bag under seat.
    Serious doubts about flying with them again. Nobody wants to start their vacation delayed at the airport and an then have an uncomfortably cramped flight.

10. Hustler sdb

Hustler sdb Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Baggage weight limit

One other thing to keep in mind if you are flying Spirit is that their checked bag weight limit is lower than any other North American airline that I know of (40lbs instead of the standard 50lbs) If you're over 40 they will charge an additional $25 each way, over 50 and it's $50 each way.

11. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is flying Spirit Airlines."

My brother will take it for a quick weekend in/out trip with a backpack. I think he had to sit on a milk crate on the inbound flight (or pay to sit in a tiny Alice in Wonderland chair").

For my Harrah's free Atlantic City trip, I took United into Philly vs. Spirit into AC. Rather spend the extra 30-60 minutes driving to/from Philly than deal with Spirit.

12. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Better make this trip closer to 60 minutes, the NJ State troopers hanging out in the median love to write tickets, trust me. At least take a detour in Hammonton as the blueberry crop is starting to come in. ACY in Pomona is about 12 miles west of Atlantic City.

I too was a critic of Spirit and their business model until I made two round trips, now I'm a believer. I joined the $9 fare club so checked luggage is $36 round trip. I am under 6' tall and less than 250 lbs. so the seat pitch of 28" according to seat guru was a bit snug, but manageable for a 2.5 hour flight. Spirit recently ordered 75 new Airbus 319 and 320's so they must be doing something right. They have some great sales and are currently running a $35 off promotion. Plus, I can walk out of the ACY terminal right to my car in a few minutes. It's not for everyone, but it works for me if I can save $150 on a round trip flight with luggage.

13. Matty Ice

Matty Ice High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We flew Spirit out of Detroit in March. I'm 6'2" and paid the extra $25 for exit row seating. It was still quite a bit cheaper even with the checked bag fee and exit row fee. We would probably use them again.

14. BlueGlass

BlueGlass Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We flew them before and had a problem...they do nothing to help rectify any problem at the airport and when you write to them, they do NOT respond at all.

15. theshaah

theshaah High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have only flown spirit once. That was about 2 weeks ago. I flew from LAS to SAN (diego). While my airline was overbooked Spirit had seats available and was assigned a big front seat, I was offered a beverage at no charge tho I declined, and I wasn't charged for my carry-on luggage. But of course I flew non-rev and those courtesys are usually extended to crew-members.

Would I fly them again? If it's conveniant HELL YES. I had the opportunity to meet with some of Spirits new hire classes in Ft. Lauderdale who will be based in Las Vegas when they graduate. Great group of optimistic, and bright eyed folks who seem generally interested in learning about the transportation industry. I wish them the best of luck and all the success in the world.

16. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Minnesota guys- what's with the horrible flight times on Spirit??? Return flights are all midnite to 5 am, right? No problem if I live in the TC's, but when you have a 2 hour drive home from the airport- not fun.

17. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live here and would never consider them, I took SW for the first time last month and loved it - compared to delta and northworst.

18. MinnesotaMike

MinnesotaMike Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in the Cities too. When I first heard Spirit was coming to MSP excited for the thought of more competition but with those horrible return flight times I don't think the competition has to worry too much :-(

19. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SW is all one stop? I prefer nonstop, but if it saves $$$$, no biggie I guess

20. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a 5 min drive from the airport and still won't fly Spirit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.