1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

car insurance

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by saints, Jun 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saints

saints Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    hi , can anyone help me.Will be in vegas for two weeks end of august.I am from uk .Part of my holiday is free car hire.Has anyone any idea how much full insurance i would have to pay at desk. It is with Dollar. I got a quote from my holiday company for approx 400 dollars. If i book at Dollar desk when i get there would this be significantly less. thank you for taking time to read this, any help at all would be gratefully received tytyty.:beer::nworthy::cheers:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2012
  2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check with your charge card company. Some of them, such as AMEX, offer you full protection for a small fee. Others have no fee, but might not be total coverage.

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a "foreign" visitor, you may fall under different rules.

At the counter, they could easily add $40- $60 a day in insurance options. And, the agents are trained to scare the crap out of you. You are not required to buy any of it. We never do.

I have no idea of your plans, but I would guess that your car might sit in the hotel parking lot for many days without your using it. Lots of people spend a week or more in Vegas without a car. The daily fee for the car could be free, but paying insurance would be crazy.

By the way, the car is not free. They just cooked it into the overall package rate.

4. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Full ins could easily hit $30 a day or more, just taking the collision waiver would be less, maybe teens. I've never bought it in my life though, if the rental is part of the package, basic ins might be as well since you're a foreigner.

5. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I kind of agree with nostress. If you don't end up getting a satisfactory answer here or elsewhere, and you don't already have any plans for grand off-strip adventures, you might want to just forgo the car. You can easily do two weeks on the strip without a car.

Also, you might want to check again with your holiday company again and make sure you have the terms correct. If I go to the Alamo web site and put in that I live in the UK, the rate I get quoted includes full insurance coverage, and it is not optional.

I can see where the holiday company might somehow strip off the insurance in order to be able to cheaply include the car in your package, but it also appears that Alamo requires insurance for UK residents in order to drive away in a car.

6. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In April a single mom and her teenage daughter were renting a car along side us....as we were waiting in the parking garage she said it was costing her $600 for the week for just the insurance.......I asked her if her C. Card would cover it and she didn't know and was checking via her cell phone before taking possession of the car.......don't know how it turned out.......our car rent for 5 day was $112.00 TOTAL...

7. Bruinfan1

Bruinfan1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please call your personal car insurance company at home. Ask them if you are currently covered for car hire insurance. If you aren't, ask them if they have an option for car hire insurance - I believe it's called short-term insurance in the U.K.? In North America it's a specific rider you can request. Typically you can be covered for a full year's worth of rentals for about the cost of a single day of car hire company's insurance. Even if it's not an option, you can at least confirm your liability coverage extends to your driving whilst in Las Vegas.

I've found that a credit card coverage for collision and theft, combined with your personal policy's liability coverage, is the best solution. A one-car incident - a stolen car, backing into a wall - won't affect your personal policy's rates because it never gets claimed on your policy. The credit card company just wipes it off your bill. But for $21/year, I carry the rider on my policy, as a backup for my credit card and to take care of a multi-party accident when liability comes into play.

8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We rented a somewhat expensive RV last year. Though we never bother to get extra insurance on a car, driving a $124,000 RV is another story. They could of sold us some insurance at $34 a day, but they advise us to call our insurance company. Also told us most agents do not understand. With a little pushing, we would cover for an entire week for $11 total!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.