1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best meal downtown?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Srvanwyk, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Srvanwyk

Srvanwyk Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where is the best place to eat a non buffet meal downtown? Is Hugo's cellar worth trying? I've had Vic and Anthony's and oscars wondering if there are better options?

2. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My favorite meal is at Second Street Grill - pan fried whole snapper with ginger & garlic. "Market Price":drunk: Our second favorite place to eat is Triple George Grill.

4. tominiowa

tominiowa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had a very memorable meal at Binions Steakhouse. The meal was very good and reasonable priced and view at sunset is nice. It helped that my dining companion was a beautiful gal who really looked extra special that night. :) Would love to repeat it again some night.

5. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking forward to this thread as I'm staying at the Nugget this summer for 9 days and looking for some dining options :thumbsup:

6. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Binion's Steakhouse and Hugo's Cellar are both very good. Binion's has a great view but I found the servers a bit stuffy. I had salad and filet at both places and after eating the large salad, wasn't able to finish either steak (that never happens to me!) . The salad made table side at Hugo's was the best we've ever had. You choose your own ingredients and it could easily be a meal by itself. Just a warning to restrain yourself if your looking forward to your main course. It would be hard to choose one over the other really. They're both just so good. Have yet to try Flame at El Cortez but there's been lots of good reviews here.

7. mjamesp

mjamesp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Triple George Grill, you won't be disappointed. Must do for the 9 day visitor. They used to be and still might be on Restaurant.com

8. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are. I checked it recently, and tried them for the first time in February using a restaurant.com voucher. It seemed to be "the" place to be that night. Lots of VIPs from the Mob Museum opening.

9. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hugo's Cellar was a wonderful experience. Old school Vegas and a rose for your female companion. My wife and I had Lobster tail and Chateau Briand for two. Entree was $150.00 or so. Comes with built-tableside salad and complimentary fruit dessert.

Also consider Redwood Grill at the California Hotel. Not too fancy, just a cozy, dim-lit, comfortable restraurant with entree's ranging from 20 to 60 dollars. They have steaks and seafood. I usually get the king crab leg platter and my wife gets the prime rib. Then we share, lol! Be careful, the large cut of prime rib is huge. My wife orders the petite cut and we swear it can pass for the large cut.

The Cal also has "diner" type places to eat like the Cal Club downstairs and Aloha Specialties on the mezzanine before the bridge to Main St. Station. Both are casual eats with a few tables here and there. They both can get very busy at times and take-out is an option. Try the stir fry beef at the Cal Club and Aloha Specialties has a wide variety of casual fare popular to people from the 50th state.

I'm sure other posters will chime in as to other great places to eat Downtown.

10. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

A friend of mine stays downtown for a month each summer playing the poker festivals and this is his favourite spot to eat.

Was already on the list, but thanks for the headsup yourself and Sam on the restaurant.com deal :thumbsup:

Can see this thread getting longggggg so it's a good job I like to eat :evillaugh

11. JillyFromPhilly

JillyFromPhilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haven't eaten at Hugo's Cellar in quite some time, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt & guess it's probably still at least halfway decent if it's still open after 40 years or so - at the very least, it's probably worth a visit if you're staying downtown just for the "old school" Vegas "gourmet room" experience it still offers.

I've also heard Vic & Anthony's at the Golden Nugget is a decent steakhouse option downtown, although personally I'd probably go to Binion's steakhouse for the same reason as Hugo's Cellar - it's a downtown institution.

12. Oxygenator

Oxygenator Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Eating at the Flame after previously being at Vic and Anthonys and Oscars will be a terrible let down. The Flame has declined so much the last few years I had to stop going recently. Even when i get it comped i felt ripped off last time. The last piece of prime. Rib i had there tasted like a mudflap. The Gold spikes was better.

13. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have always really enjoyed Chicago Joes and Redwood Grille at the Cal.

14. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Chicago Joes for pizza and a microbrew lunch is nice. Teeny spot to eat-in though - only 3 tables? We've done takeout there when we're staying at GN.

I find the ambiance much nicer at 2nd Street than Binions. No view, but I've been to Binions (and we ate at Center Stage when it was open) so now I just go where I prefer the food:eek:

I usually get seafood, I'm not a big red meat eater, but my dining companions have enjoyed the meat at 2nd Street and Triple George. Triple George calamari appetizer is some of the best I've eaten - not rubbery, crisp but lightly fried, delicious.

15. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

i think i have eaten at all the places mentioned, except for the flame, and oscar's because it is pretty new.

will second the triple george as an option, though to be fair i do not think it would be classified in the same subcategory as vic and anthony's, and do not think it's prices are in that category, either.

would like to throw a bucket of water on the idea of hugo's cellar, and the fact that it is classified with the other nicest places.

that tableside salad, when the server shoves the chair across the table from you into your knees, not so good anymore. mixed up our tab at the end, when there were 2 of us, and 5 on the other bill, no excuses. will say the wine guy was an ass, to call him a sommolier would be giving him way too much credit.

it is a basement, and it is loud, and they get way more mileage out of that wilted rose than the service, value, or quality of the place or its staff merit. way overrated, in my opinion. i am happy for those of you who had a good experience there, not trying to argue with anyone, but cannot in good conscience lead the original poster down those stairs.

16. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was going to stay out of this because restaurant choices are so subjective. But I agree, avoid Hugo's.

2nd St Grill
    Redwood
    Flame
    Pasta Pirate
    In that order.
    Haven't tried Vic or Triple George yet, but plan on one or both in the fall.

17. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Prime rib worse that Gold Spike? I shudder at the thought. Anything worse than that should require a trip to the ER.....:vomit:

18. Srvanwyk

Srvanwyk Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol thanks 4 the heads up

19. Adepizza

Adepizza Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't rate Hugo's as highly as some. It was ok, but not the best value.
    How about the Triple 7 at MSS?

By the way, can anyone point me in the direction of an online menu for the Redwood Grille? The one on their website only lists desserts for some reason.

20. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.